VM execution aborted : tried to read from address zero

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

VM execution aborted : tried to read from address zero

Post by Guest »

Hi helpers and developers!

I have been working on my first doom mod and have maybe broken something with it running on GZDoom. However I don't know how to track this problem down, since my coding knowledge is very limited.

Error message:
https://i.imgur.com/aAtvTrZ.png

I've tried it with GZDoom 3.7, GZDoom 4.0 and GZDoom 4.1.1 and all return the same error message. This seems to happen at random and mostly will happen when there is a lot going on at once.

And this is my, probably horribly coded, mod that is most likely the perpetrator causing it. Any help on tracking where it is originating from would be much appreciated.
Doom Exp - @moddb
Last edited by Rachael on Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made links clickable
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: VM execution aborted : tried to read from address zero

Post by Zhs2 »

Without looking into your mod, this error reads as if you're trying to give an item to either a null pointer or an actor that doesn't exist anymore.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

In this mod ScriptUtil.GiveInventory() seems be called only by ACS scripts. I don't think it's possible to track this issue without adding some console.printf() to the core scripts.
Officer D
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Officer D »

No clue why my thread was opened under a different name. :?

So you saying the only way to get a log tracking the error would be by converting all the ACS scripts to zscript?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Officer D wrote:No clue why my thread was opened under a different name. :?
You were probably not logged in when you posted.
Officer D wrote:So you saying the only way to get a log tracking the error would be by converting all the ACS scripts to zscript?
Not necessarily - try adding some Print or Log statements into your script to make sure that all your vars, etc. are what they're supposed to be.
Officer D

Post by Officer D »

Stupid question. Could it have been caused by having certain functions, in the monster statements without brackets set? For example, I copied some functions from the decorates over to zscript and had stuff like A_ClearTarget and A_Pain without the brackets. I added them with bracket, e.g. A_Pain(); and played for a few hours without encountering the error message. Maybe I just got lucky by not getting another crash. But if anybody could confirm that actually was the problem, I would be very relieved and we could mark the thread as solved.

Edit:
Okay, that didn't seem to solve the problem. I just managed to get the error message again. However it happened on a slaughter map as tons of monsters died at once. They are all setup to give the player inventory dummies upon death. I guess there is a limit for ACS scripts to be called at once that give the player inventory items?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Like it was already said, if you really want investigate this yourself, you should add some debug output to the core scripts near location of VM abort.
Also, try to save often during playing. Probably, it will be much faster to reproduce the problem from a saved game.

There is another option that may help developers. Record a demo until the issue happens and attach to this topic.
To do so, use recordmap console command. The following command will save demo to mydemo.lmp file.

Code: Select all

recordmap mydemo map01
Officer D

Post by Officer D »

Okay, thank you for the suggestions. If I figure out what the problem was, I'll be sure to get back to this thread.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Most likely, it's the same issue as this one.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”