Vanilla Essence by Pixel Eater [Mod][Any]

A showcase by members of the community reviewing content created by the community, both new and old.
[The Spotlight Official Page]

Moderator: Spotlight Team

m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Vanilla Essence by Pixel Eater [Mod][Any]

Post by m8f »

"Correct way of playing Doom". This strange term shows up from time to time. What is the correct way of playing Doom?

It's simple. There is the only correct way of playing Doom (and any other game): the one that you enjoy. If the game doesn't bring you fun, you're playing it wrong, or you're playing the wrong game. Some games are meant to be played in a certain fashion, and cannot be tweaked or modified to one's liking. Fortunately, it's not the case for Doom.

Since December 23, 1997, when id Software released the engine source code, there is no single mandatory way of playing Doom. The fact of publishing under a permissive license signifies that a program is meant to be changed and developed further. In a way, every source port is encouraged directly by id, including GZDoom.

This engine contains many additions to the original Doom engine, and a lot of the original code was replaced. With extensive modding capabilities, it allows even more radical shifts in gameplay and visual style. It made possible creating standalone games that barely resemble the first-person shooter from 1993.

But in its core, in its soul, GZDoom remains an engine to run Doom and its derivatives. It continues to support a surprising amount of the vanilla gameplay mechanics, including options for id Tech 1 engine limitations and even bugs. Finding and fiddling with all the settings may be tedious, and this is where Vanilla Essence mod comes in handy.

Vanilla Essence started off as a simple shortcut menu, grouping together GZDoom options that make the game behave and look more like the original Doom. Now, it includes a key that toggles between the default mode and vanilla mode.

(images are clickable)

You can also configure how strong the vanilla flavor will be by tailoring the settings to your heart's content. For each option, Vanilla Essence hints what value conforms to the original, which is very convenient.

There are options for the game behavior, appearance, lighting, special effects, sound, and user interface.

Vanilla essence not only highlights the options that are already present in GZDoom but adds its own feature: configurable low resolution.

With this mod, you can easily have any combination of vanilla and modern dooming. For example, this is a combination of dynamic lights, brightmaps, and low resolution:

Or play with any gameplay mod and have near-1993 experience:

With GZDoom and Vanilla Essence, everyone can find their own favorite color on the wide and deep dooming spectrum.

Forum Thread
Last edited by m8f on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Vanilla Essence by Pixel Eater [Mod][Any]

Post by Captain J »

Retro MS-DOS resolution is to me, it's a double dealer. Sometimes it makes the game great and gives retro-feel to it, but also makes it almost blurry and bland. But it seems this Addon is doing its job right without making it unbalanced! This Addon is possibly the accurate and faithful to the old retro resolution. And feels pretty nice using it.

Kudos for Pixel Eater for this impressive graphical tweaker!
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Best mod ever. It's useful when confronting the odious possibility that a slaughter-map will chafe your system setup and you don't need to verify extreme long distances. So, F5 and boom, diminished visuals but improved performance.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Would be nice to see 21:9 as one of the 'appearance' options.
Klemc

Post by Klemc »

Hello,

is there a way to auto-enable the mod at game start ? Without the need of a key press, i set key to F1 !

I use batch file to launch my WADs :
Doom I II Final Nerve Sigil XbX - Vanilla essence.bat

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iWAD doom_complete.pk3 -FILE MODs\VanillaEssence\VanillaEssence.pk3 MODs\Vanilla\FastWeapons.pk3 MODs\Vanilla\pk_sfx.wad MODs\Vanilla\SPFXD1.wad MODs\Vanilla\SPFXD2.wad MODs\Vanilla\SPFXSIGIL.wad
I could add a specific .ini for VEssence if the auto-switch needs it (-config configfile).

Thanks for the mod, and certainly other things.

EDIT:

accordind to the answer received in my other topic, the PK3 itselt only can enable the option by default, as it's part of itself, not the engine.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=75215

It'd be a good idea to make PK3 addon with the option enabled by default. To be loaded after main PK3.
daemonspudguy
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Earth, Universe

Post by daemonspudguy »

What gameplay mods are you using in the last two screenshots? And how did you get your HUD to look like that in the fourth one?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

daemonspudguy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:55 pm What gameplay mods are you using in the last two screenshots? And how did you get your HUD to look like that in the fourth one?
The first one of the last two screenshots appears to be Doom Delta and the last one is Guncaster.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

daemonspudguy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:55 pm What gameplay mods are you using in the last two screenshots? And how did you get your HUD to look like that in the fourth one?
4th image is an edited version of the Back to Saturn-X HUD (the map set is BTSX as well, very good btw), but I'm not sure who did the edit. this is the closest I could find to the one in the image

Return to “The Spotlight”