[Abandoned] Texture Lights

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Abandoned] Texture Lights

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Because I'm an idiot and I can't turn down a challenge even if it comes from some 4chan dweller who has no understanding of programming or how complicated it is to do something like this in GZDoom, I ended up making a mod that "adds lights to textures". It's in an incomplete but semi-functional state (covers E1M1, at least), and it's also full of bugs that I won't bother with fixing.

Feel free to download it and take a look at its pestilent entrails if you so desire, just be warned that it might make you rethink ever touching ZScript. This piece of trash is the worst thing I've ever written. If anyone somehow can make something better out of this, they deserve a medal.

You can no longer download this thing. I am no longer hosting it, nor keeping any copies of it, nor endorsing its use by anyone. If you find a project using it, you can kindly tell those people to eat an entire porcupine.

Special "go step on a lego" goes to the dolt who posted this wonderful display of intelligence as a suggestion on how to improve it:
use the lump reader to get brightness values in everything that's in brightmaps.pk3, run through some galaxybrain algorithm and use that to spawn your lights
Update: Since this has come up now, I'd like to state some important things about this:
  1. I absolutely refuse to touch this code, so if you go and ask me to "fix" anything that's wrong with it, tough luck. You have to do that yourself if you want to use (and redistribute) it.
  2. You may not include a verbatim copy of the script in your own work.
  3. Taking the mod as-is and including it into a modpack without first asking for permission, then just "giving credit" with a tiny little mention won't fly for me. Especially if said modpack has some questionable legality.
  4. As part of the previous statement, I hereby declare that I forbid the usage of this mod in Doom Remake 4. This still applies even if you rebrand yourself and/or your mod.
Last edited by Marisa the Magician on Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Re: [Abandoned] Texture Lights

Post by Rachael »

Ah, 4chan. An echo chamber where half its users universally accept as truth the worst imaginable conspiracy theory some anon can come up with, absent any proof. Because, ya know, the truth is inconvenient and really not that exciting.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I actually quite like the effect from this. I mean, it's pretty overblown, but it reminds me a lot of Quake 2 and that era of when coloured lightmaps was cruise control for cool.

I feel (in the rare event you touch this again or someone else picks it up or imitates it or something) the LTEXDEFS stuff could probably be gutted and cut it down to one light per repetition of the texture to get a similar effect with less headaches (and less lights, so less potential performance issues).
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I think it's a very desirable feature if it could be implemented, along with a global lighting (sunlight) system. I use a lot of models in my projects and having propert lighting is neccessary to make them look good. Voxels even more! :)
Marisa the Magician

How unexpected, this incomplete, blatantly broken and suboptimal mod is now part of vasyan777's little collection of trash.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

Is there any remind about you in the credits?
Marisa the Magician

I am completely uncredited, but he didn't touch the zscript at all so my name is in there, at least.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

By the way, I watched his doom remake video and I really enjoyed the lighting there, it was smooth but fittig the doom style real well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNv1FiuxJo .Works really slow at 2:40, cause imagine an amount of lights there

In the rest of it looks like a gimmick. I'm thinking on why his channel is called "vasyan777". So Vasyan is a pretty common gopnik name on the post ussr territory, 7 perceived a digit on happines and luck, but software wise that all gave a birth to the slang combo "A Vasyan's build" kind of a build with crappy gopnik taste of Vasyan that puts on everything that shine.

This is his another mod that was called RTX ON (hope this was a joke): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC02P70QMpQ&t=101s
Attachments
Shinystuff.jpg
Shinystuff.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:*snip*
And now Vasyan's modpack got a PCGamer article. And it just credits him, as well, and barely goes into the work other people actually did for it.
Fucking wonderful.
WAN_Scotty

Post by WAN_Scotty »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I am completely uncredited, but he didn't touch the zscript at all so my name is in there, at least.
It says "Texture lights script by Marisa Kirisame: link to this thread" here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/lowpoly-doom ... al-edition
Marisa the Magician

Hm, I'm pretty sure that wasn't there before. I guess he got wind of it and changed that.
LastManonEarth

Post by LastManonEarth »

I wrote Marisa and no issues for her me trying to continue with this mod. Is anyone interested in assisting? I completed almost all the textures from Ultimate Doom and Doom II. Textures like switches changing the layer to a second texture are not working unfortunately (will work the first texture and will keep the same light even once pressed). Also would like to have the same effect for nukage and lava. I currently have bright but lack of movement. We need the capability of changing the spotlight and rgb colour when the texture changes to another one, and have the first spot and colour removed at the same time. Mod credits will be for her anyway I do not want any credit, just contributing with the community. I can play with my current mod but would be nice to have something very neat and complete. Send a PM in case you are interested.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

I'm sorry to resurrect such an old post Marisa but I wanted to message you about this, and I've only just created this account so I can't PM you it would seem. I don't think you give this creation enough credit. I was blown away when I found it and started tinkering with it. The ability to procedurally generate dynamic lighting for any megaWAD from the past twenty six years is absolutely mind-blowing to me. I've spent the last few days tweaking and expanding on the LTEXDEFS file and each time I save and hop into the game I an continually impressed by the visuals it creates especially with ambient lighting completely removed. From huge room-filling spotlights to subtle glows coming from around the edges of display screens on the walls, the atmosphere this is able to produce without any map editing needing to be done by hand is just crazy.

I've been working on a personal project for the past couple weeks trying to change Doom into a slow-paced, atmospheric, horror shooter (so basically like if you took all of the elements most people love about Doom, and replaced them with all of the elements most people hate about Doom 64 and Doom 3). Integrating this code into the project has made it so much better than I could have hoped. If I were to end up making it available for other people to download if they want, would you be okay with it including your code with you listed in the credits (and a link to your website if you want)? I promise this would be nothing like that mod-that-shall-not-be-named.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

Just thought I would include a few examples of how things are looking with this plus my custom sky. Never thought Maps of Chaos could look this good.
Screenshot_Doom_20210425_022634.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20210425_022751.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20210425_022855.jpg

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”