Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.1: 320x200p support!

Post by m8f »

Vanilla Essence 4.1b.pk3 loads without errors. Will give it a thorough testing later.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.1: 320x200p support!

Post by Pixel Eater »

Aw brilliant! Thanks so much :D

This one may be even better too. It uses the 'transient cvar' command all throughout now and finally fixes the rocket reverb problem NightFright brought up ages ago.
Attachments
Vanilla Essence 4.1c.pk3
(86.19 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Pixel Eater

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.2: 320x200p! Bugfixes & better PSX emu

Post by Pixel Eater »

v4.2 is up.

It's got 160p now for the GBA enthusiast. Also when you pick PSX mode for 'view stretching' it will scale the sprites back down accurately (to the PSX, they remain ~1.03x wider than DOS). And of course M8f's bugfixes are in 8-)

Some quick setup tips:
For GBA style visuals generally pick the NeXT option or PC if that's not labelled.
The same goes for Doom95 emulation but obviously it could reach higher resolutions (up to 480).
Doom 1 on the GBA was limited to the low detail setting but Doom 2 had high detail on everything except for flats, so I'd go with that.
The closest letterboxing available for GBA mode is 16:10 which is slightly wider than it's physical 15:10 aspect.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Spoiler: Minor bugs I found:
m8f

Post by m8f »

Sorry for the double post, but this is important. With transient cvars, you have to read them after loading a saved game too. Currently Vanilla Essence causes a VM abort on game loading.
Spoiler: The possible solution is this:
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

m8f wrote:Sorry for the double post, but this is important.
No worries and thank you. I've spent hours trying so many different things to fix it, only for things to go from bad to worse that I'm just going to return to the less efficient method. While it would be nice to have I just can't get it to behave :(

Here's what's working for me:
Vanilla Essence 4.2b.pk3
(86.42 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
And thanks for pointing out those minor bugs too. #2 & 3 I would have never found. #4 I tried to verify but with all decal options on I still don't get rocket decals (even in unmodded GZDoom).
m8f

Post by m8f »

This way it works:
Spoiler:
But honestly, the performance gain is not as significant as I expected, so there is no big need in this, after all.

#4: that's strange, if you get other decals, but not rocket.

Edit: Apparently, Cvar performance does matter in SpriteScaler, since it applies to every thing on the map. Here is the working solution:
Spoiler:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Hey this is great and it even runs with LZDoom. 4.1 just hung with GZD 4.1.1 on my laptop but now it works. :)
JPL

Post by JPL »

Great mod! I got this zscript VM abort after dying and respawning on a map:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero. In function parameter "self"
Called from SpriteScaler.DoEffect at Vanilla Essence 4.2.pk3:zscript.zc, line 195
Called from CVar.GetInt [Native]
Looking at the code, "par_stretch" is declared transient and so might be NULL when loading a game. I was able to work around the VM abort by changing line 195 to

Code: Select all

if( par_stretch && par_stretch.GetInt() == 2 )
, though I'm not sure if that has any unintended side effects.
Pixel Eater

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Post by Pixel Eater »

drfrag wrote:Hey this is great and it even runs with LZDoom. 4.1 just hung with GZD 4.1.1 on my laptop but now it works. :)
Cheers DrFrag, that's great to know :)
JPL wrote:I got this zscript VM abort after dying and respawning on a map:
Yeah sorry about that, looks like M8f had a fix for that days ago but I've been unavailable till now. A fixed version should be in the OP now.
JPL wrote:though I'm not sure if that has any unintended side effects.
It only would have meant that sprites would have been stretched by the PSX 'view stretch' option when an actual PSX console mostly compensated for that.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mrtaterz »

Vanilla Essence integration into GZDoom when? Because it's looking like it could be a really good way to get the "true experience" and having this straight up interfaced into the system by default would be amazing. You could also rename the mod from Vanilla Essence to something more fitting, and branch out the mod into a "User Comfort" mod, more-so than just a "Vanillafication" mod. You already have N64 options. Why not add in high-definition computer melter presets as well and just make the mod more about quick and convenient options?
Customizing the user experience through Presets would simplify tailoring the game to the way the player would want. Sometimes I'm feeling HD Doom, so I'll load up Doom with Sprinkles and turn on the texture filtering and 16x anisotropic filtering, sprite clipping, etc; other times, I'll be playing Ashes with Vanilla settings and Troo Cullers, but then decide maybe that's not what I want? It would be as easy as a press of a button to go from Vanilla-styled Ashes 2063 to HD Ashes 2063 with Mouselook.

Lastly, I don't know if the code is clean enough for integration into GZDoom yet (because you're still updating this mod as it is), but this is still just something to consider! I thought all of these ideas together would be a great way to streamline the user experience and simplify things.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ha ha well, I think if the same feature were to be worked into GZDoom it would probably be done with a different approach. The backend of Vanilla Essence is sorta bulky and difficult to maintain. In fact I plan to complicate it further so that it behaves more politely with the default menus while it's active.

It's for those reasons I won't be adding any extra custom preset slots, but the idea is to have an HD configuration from the start before toggling Vanilla Essence anyway. What I am contemplating is how best to add templates in order to quickly switch between console emulations :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Echoing that, I think it's best for a mod to remain a mod.

The moment it gets rounded up and put into the engine, the creator loses control - and whether you might believe it or not, it's the creator's passion into a project like this that gives it its magic.

Don't be so eager to have GZDoom take it in. You can advertise it to all your friends, if you want, but having an independent work is the best way for it to work - trust me.
mgtroyas

Post by mgtroyas »

Just discovered this thanks to the Spotlight review. It's impressive having that instant vanilla look, ever after having spent hours fiddling with all those options, so I suppose for new users it's ever more useful.

I suggest enabling "Banded SW Lightmode" option and disabling "lens distortion effect".
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

mgtroyas wrote:I suggest enabling "Banded SW Lightmode"
Usually I disable that because the Palette Tonemap setting does it also and they don't overlap so good. But I've been finding that for games that have nicer colourmaps (like Heretic/Hexen) the Banded Lightmode is preferable to using the palette setting :cheers:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”