DOOM Expanded [New Release Pending]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: DOOM Expanded 2.0 [RELEASED]

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

For Doomgal, I was never able to find smooth arm animation replacements that matched the quality of the ones I had. Even tried editing them myself, and I could never get them to look right. So ultimately, Doomgal is a player skin that shares the weapons slots with Doomguy.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Update for Expanded:

I've been playing the Doom games officially with Expanded, but I ended up coming across a few minor errors I wanted to address.

The first post has an updated download with these fixes for both regular and Classic Sound editions of the mod.

The fixes are as follows:
-One of the large blood decals (for when you shot a demon close to a wall) was misaligned with one of the animated blood smears. This has been fixed and the others have been verified to work as well.
-The Lost Soul's original "Active" sound (which, for Expanded, is from PSX Doom) sounded too similar to its "Attack" sound. With a little sound editing, I made something a bit more independent based on what I had already. Please let me know what you think. It might be tricky to hear as it's mixed in with the sounds from the Lost Soul's fire effects.
-I noticed a bug where some Lost Souls weren't on fire during play, especially if there were a lot of them present. I wasn't sure how entirely to fix this, but I tried mitigating the problem by altering their coded "Spawn" behavior to have similarities to Expanded's version of the Spectre. In other words, Lost Souls will start out floating with no fire, but if they hear the player or are attacked by them, they engulf themselves in flames and retaliate as you would expect. This will hopefully lessen the number of active torch effects in the level at a time and boost performance for those who have issues with them as well. Please let me know if you see any other problems with them.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

It seems that GZDOOM version 4.0.0 had dropped fairly recently, and that newer versions are coming as well. I went ahead and checked Expanded, and it seems to work just fine with the new version.

That said, I only had one minor issue (which I fixed), where I was forced to rename the Automap powerup replacement due to some kind of coding conflict with the new source port version (mainly relating to the GL lighting effects). Use "summon/give amap" for all of your automap using needs.

I placed the updated download in the first thread post per usual.

It's important that anyone using GZDOOM Version 4.0 and up lets me know of any further issues with Expanded so I can address them as quickly as possible.
bisousbisous

Post by bisousbisous »

I notice revenants shoot two missiles at once now which means this mod HAS RUINED MY VANILLA GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE FOREVER!!!!!

But for real this is pretty cool man.

[but if you could release a "vanilla gameplay" patch or something that would be sweet]
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

There's going to be an update here soon. But I need an opinion before I go forward with this.

I found a serious issue while playing the Master Levels, specifically the level Bad Dream (TEETH.wad). I found that all those cyberdemons being crushed at the same time causes the frame rate to drop to the single digits while Expanded is loaded. Specifically, all of the blood sprites being generated by the damaged cybers seems to be the cause. I noticed that leaving only the flying blood effects and taking out the blood spot sprites (the blood sprites that remain on the ground for a time) seems to subside the issue enough for it to be playable. The blood now seems to work more akin to how it does in vanilla doom (shows up briefly. then disappears when hits the ground).

I wanted to ask if it was ok if I made the blood behave more like vanilla, or should I try to look into replacing the blood spots with something like floor decals? Nashgore has a new version which has these effects, and I can ask permission to use it. The former isn't going to be as bloody as before, but it would help with framerate with those who experience issues with it.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Mod Update (download in the first post), funny enough, both dealing with issues with Master Levels TEETH.WAD (both Express Elevator to Hell and Bad Dream).

-I changed the radius of both Techlamps and light Column from 16 to 8 as they were impossible to pass in the final hallway in Express Elevator (this wasn't the case in Vanilla).
-Struck a balance in the blood issue by reducing the Blood actors down to flying blood and keeping Blood Spots for only 5 seconds instead of 15. This doesn't 100% fix the frame rate issue with Bad Dream, but performance is improved enough to get through it with not to much trouble. Demon gibs also disappear quicker as well (from 30 to 10 seconds) for sake of consistency and framerate.

Please let me know of your opinions on the tweaks to the blood effects and if any issues arise. Thanks everyone!!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Minor bug fix:

-Lost Soul fire-less "Spawn" state was still giving off an GL lighting effect, even though there's obviously no light source. So I may a quick fix for that, and now it should work properly. Newest version is in the first post per usual.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Discovered an issue in Evilution MAP29 (River Styx) that made it impossible to finish the level without using "noclip".

-Found that the blue torches that lined both sides of an archway in the temple of this level were too close together with Expanded active, blocking the path to proceed. However this wasn't the case when I checked the level again in normal Vanilla Doom. as the torches were found to be further apart. I discovered that the actor flag I was using on torches and tech lamps, FIXMAPTHINGPOS was the cause. With some additional testing, I found this flag to be the actual cause of the issue with the Master Levels Express Elevator's impassible last section. Therefore, I have removed this flag from all items containing it (Torches, Lamps, Boom Barrel), so this should no longer cause any impassible situations or visual glitches.

This issue, per usual, has been addressed in both regular and CS versions of the mod, and the updated package can be downloaded from the first post.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Recently finished play testing Plutonia and I can confirm that I have gotten through all commercially released DOOM levels (including Romero's Sigil) with no further issues with the current build of Expanded.

With that being said, I have a couple of announcements for the mod:

1.An Expanded Patch is set to be bundled with the next release of Blue Shadow's NC HUD, meaning that those who have been waiting for a matching hud with Expanded will finally have it. Once I get the word on it's release, I will post the link in the thread.

2.Expanded Lite will be the last major extra I will work on for this mod pack. I know I have neglected partial conversion compatibility, and I want to address it with something that fits in with the rest of the content presented. I will give further updates on this extra soon.

Please continue to leave your feedback, suggestions, and bug reports right here on the thread! Thank you all for your continued support of Expanded!!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I must apologize for lack of updates on this thread, but as I promised: Expanded Lite is now included with the Expanded Extras. Simply download a fresh copy from the first post and check the Extras folder.

Expanded Lite should hopefully give you a few extra trappings with some of your favorite Partial Conversions.

Right now, the Expanded HUD is all that's left to wait for. And as I've said previously:
BlueFireZ88 wrote:An Expanded Patch is set to be bundled with the next release of BlueShadow's NC HUD, meaning that those who have been waiting for a matching hud with Expanded will finally have it. Once I get the word on it's release, I will post the link in the thread.
I hope everyone has been enjoying Expanded, and please continue to leave your feedback and support!! Happy demon hunting!!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

pretty neat!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Last major update for Expanded:

Blue Shadow's NC HUD is now updated and includes a patch for Doom Expanded which we both co-developed. Link to the official NC HUD thread is in the first post at the top.

Nab it today!

I just want to take a moment to say thank you all who have enjoyed and supported Expanded and that it's been a long journey to get to the point where I can finally say that it's finished. I will continue to support the mod a leave available to download for those who wish to play it. I don't expect a lot of activity on the Expanded threads going forward, but would hope that they would remain open for you all to continue leaving suggestions and reporting bugs if necessary. Please continue to enjoy Expanded and please continue to leave your support! Happy hunting!!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Post-Mortem Update:

-Increased the firing rate o the Chainsaw and BFG as they weren't entirely accurate to the originals. And it annoyed me greatly!!

Yes I'm still supporting this mod. Check it out!!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread here, but I recently updated the download links as the old ones were long since gone.

Mod still works well with the newest versions of GZDoom, but if any issues arise, please let me know.

Download it from the Google Drive link in the first post.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”