Stylish Hell: Monster Randomizer inspired by LTG

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
APsychicMonkey

Stylish Hell: Monster Randomizer inspired by LTG

Post by APsychicMonkey »

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/02udnlo4 ... l.pk3/file

GAMEPLAY and REVIEW by the Incomparable Mr. Icarus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6u1n0cZFI

Hi, this is my first mod (that I've published)!
Stylish Hell is a Monster Randomizer that replaces every demon in Doom 2 with cute demon girls in adorable outfits.
Outfits give them different attributes like health, speed, and attacks.
This mod is designed to make Doom a bit harder, but the mod works very well with weapon mods such as La Tailor Girl, Combined Arms, High Noon Drifter, TYPHON, or Cola 3.
It works great with vanilla Doom levels, slaughtermaps, and everything in between.
This mod gets rid of a lot of gore and has NO actual 'H' content.
This mod is also compatible with Heretic and Chex Quest, and has unique enemies in each! Hexen compatibility is coming soon!
In Options, under Stylish Settings, you can set whether enemies teleport away on defeat. (more options are coming soon)

Lore:
Spoiler:
FAQ:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
Spoiler:
In Development:
Spoiler:
screenie2.png
screenie4.png
screenie1.png
Last edited by APsychicMonkey on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Uber Tiga

Re: Stylish Hell: Monster Randomizer inspired by LTG

Post by Uber Tiga »

This is nice, I love the animation, effects and the new enemy behaviour. :D
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

So I gave this bit more of a playthrough around now that I had a good chance to and as my initial thoughts are;
Hella cute! You've done good work with this
I really love how there's variance with the behaviors and firing patterns with their outfits, like the ninja imps being more dodgier

I am enjoying this a lot

Tho, somethings that I want to give feedback on;

While the sprite style is very cute and has personality, I noticed that lot of animations are rather stiff, mostly on the land creatures. I noticed that the flying enemies have much more braver movement for the animations than many of the walking ones, tho I know from experience that walking animations can be annoying to make. Still I feel you should try experiment around to get more out of the frames like with some of the demon throwing animations; you could have them get bit more prepared looking and bit more archier swing going when they throw their projectiles, it would give them bit more flavour. Subtle small animations do work for gun enemies since you want to keep a steady gun, but when enemy does magic or something, some more swoosh never hurts.

There's also some oddity with the sounds and how they mix, specially with the active sounds, it's really hard to put my finger on it to properly explain it tho.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Funny, I was actually after a more projectile-heavy monster mod, and this works especially well given I also like La Tailor Girl. Haven't tried with that but I did swap out DRLM for this to use with DRLA and LDL. Comment-wise, the take on the Mancubus and Arachnotron is great, and I like the many varieties of the basic monsters, and how things like the halos fall off separately, it's cute. Doomguy Imp gives a nice scare the first time you see her. I have to agree about the animation being lacking though. Typically, parts of a frame should not be static, especially not large parts or if it remains static through the entire loop, the Pinkie replaements have that issue pretty glaringly. Bug-wise, barrel Imps don't have their melee obituary string set, that probably applies to other monsters too. The cowgirl Imp shot seems to do no damage and barrel Imp's damage seems pretty pathetic given how often she attacks.

Ultimately this will make a nice alternative since there aren't many monster mods and the ones that exist I've gotten a bit tired of.
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Okay, I've updated the Mediafire file, let me know if it's working.
Fix List:
The Bikini Imp's fireball sprite name should not conflict anymore.
The (Hidden) Barrel Imp is now faster, deals way more explosion damage and has a unique fireball.
The Cowgirl Imp now shoots projectiles instead of railguns that deal far more damage.

Addition:
Archvile voice lines added.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Was pleasantly surprised. Really like the soldier type enemies.

Like the hdoom aesthetic without the h.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Your mod is brutal when playing with La Tailor Girl.
Killo Zapit

Post by Killo Zapit »

I was on discord when you showed this off before! I really liked it then and playing through it more has just made me like it more! I have noticed a few problems though:

I noticed ice death states don't seem to work right. Usually ice death is supposed to turn enemies into ice statues for a while before they break apart, but the enemies in this mod just behave like normal dead bodies when iced. I mean, it might be that you just don't like the way ice death works, but they still look like ice statues.

The cyberdemon replacement has a tendency to fill the screen with bright fires that make it kinda hard to see what's going on. I like the idea, but they are kind of a pain just because of how much they spam stuff that gets in your way of seeing anything. I noticed the lingering flames really don't seem to do all that much damage really, so I think it would be better to up the damage the flames do but have them not linger around nearly as long or something.

That's it for now I guess. Thanks for the mod!
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Just posted a big update. Added 2 new monsters and fixed the spawner for Armored Snakegirls.
Added QuadShotgunGirl: rare shotgunguy spawn, drops Supershotgun and shells. Does not fire hitscan.
Added Cacogirl: Big, tough uncommon spawn for Cacodemons. Slow, shoots powerful tesla balls.
Replaced the Sniper's railgun with a fast, deadly projectile.
Tweaked the Doomguy Imp's BFG-type blast with a smaller explosion radius but more damage.
Adjusted the Alpha on the cyberdemon Napalm Lord's fires so you can see the battle more clearly, whilst achieving the same effect. Slightly boosted damage on fires.
This can be considered the definitive version for a while. I'm working on new enemies and slight balancing adjustments, but if you come across any bugs be sure to let me know here or on discord.
Midnight_King

Post by Midnight_King »

I really enjoy this. One of my favorite monster mods so far next to Colorful Hell and Brautwurst. I like the fact you didn't include gore, which is where a lot of monster packs fail.

Wondering if you'd ever consider a Heretic version?
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

I'm liking this mod after playing through a short map with Hideous Destructor, it worked pretty well!
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Re: Midnight_King: I am planning to add Heretic compatibility. I already have substitutes for the flying imps, sabreclaws, ophidians. Imps could be subbed for golems, possessed for undead warriors, cacodemons for sorcerers and hell knights for weredragons.
Which leaves "bosses", the Iron Liches, the Maulotaurs, Chaos Serpents, and D'Sparil. I'm feeling up for the challenge, and was planning on drawing those already. However, keep in mind this will make Heretic much harder without some rebalancing. The bosses will also start occasionally appearing in Doom, which will add some fun spice to encounters.
So yes, I am considering it! However, I have a few things to do before I can start adding those to the game. I'm also strongly feeling that I might draw a few some new enemies for the golems, warriors, disciples and dragons. That is gonna sting tho.
I'm quite fond of Heretic, as my use of inspired enemies probably shows. I'm pretty bad at it though.
I tried playing Hexen once. I thought it was awful. I like the Heresiarch and Ettins tho, so I might add new versions in. New bosses are always cool, although the invulnerability thing is just stupid.

Re: bendix-hyde: I admire your tolerance for pain.
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

APsychicMonkey wrote:Re: bendix-hyde: I admire your tolerance for pain.
Believe it or not, it's actually not that bad! Especially after revving it up with Ugly as Sin and doing some personal tweaks. I keep running through my short tester maps too quickly to see if frag shards exist in SH, so I'm gonna do a run to confirm soon.
Plus the new enemies aside from the big gal replacements tend to go down very fast with one or two shots, so it's just a matter of being faster on the trigger.

Good god those Caco replacements tho. The one (and so far the only one I've encountered so far) that spawns in the last leg of mansionV2.wad, surprised me with how strong she was with her attack. I want to know more so I'm thinking of going through vanilla Doom 2 so I can see the whole cast that you've made :mrgreen:
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

MAJOR UPDATE IS LIVE!
Heretic Compatibility! All monsters (except D'Sparil) have been replaced with Stylish Hell demons!
Featuring four entirely new monsters: Dullahan Knight, Wizardgirl, Cockatrice, and Minotaurgirl!
Also, an entirely new final boss for Doom 2, a gigantic demoness in a custom arena map! Use "changemap map30" to check it out! Unless you're a glutton for pain!
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Great work, does indeed fit perfectly with Tailor Girl! Love the art and added difficulty they bring with the tougher variations.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”