Null FtF pink thing on floor

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Enjay

Null FtF pink thing on floor

Post by Enjay »

Mod
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=59100

exe used
g4.2pre-17-gb23958b20

System
gtx-1080, Windows 10, current drivers

Picture

See that pinkish shape that looks a bit like a pair of underpants?

I *think* I am looking through a portal from this viewpoint. It's only visible when standing on the ledge in the above shot and looking down. The pink shape moves with the player.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Null FtF pink thing on floor

Post by Graf Zahl »

Remember the glitch in the skybox? This looks to be the same thing. I knew the solution wasn't foolproof but my guess is that this map triggers the one case that cannot be reliably handled by what I did.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Why does this appear? It appears whenever there is a portal anywhere, directly above or below a player. If you view a sector portal, or a mirror, the effect appears, and it's been there since GZDoom's earliest days. I had always figured with something that's this persistent that it was a non-fixable bug, but I am still a bit curious how it technically happens.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is a side effect of how the portal's stencil gets created. It draws the outer bounds of the portal until a certain height and then caps it off at that height with a single polygon. The bug occurs if there's two portals being capped off recursively. The depth buffer simply cannot handle this case in a non-destructive way and the entire portal code is so dependent on this method that I haven't found a foolproof workaround that can handle all cases. What makes this so difficult is that the software renderer originally treated the portal like a sky, with all rendering anomalies that implies - and as you might guess, these anomalies have been exploited to hell and back tenfold by user maps dating back to 2005.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ah. And yeah, I remember that whole little thing with the portals being skies in the software renderer. It was pretty obvious with some of the glitches I've seen.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:Remember the glitch in the skybox? This looks to be the same thing.
I had a feeling that it might be a similar kind of problem.

Return to “OpenGL Renderer Bugs”