FEARS - Amiga Remake - 8 Level Demo + Guns Only Mod

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

FEARS - Amiga Remake - 8 Level Demo + Guns Only Mod

Post by ImpieTwo »

GRAB IT

Demo pk3 requires GZDOOM and DOOM 2

"Guns Only" mod is only compatible with Ultimate Doom. No Doom 2 monster replacements yet.

It is 1932, and you, Henry Annesly, have just shot your old colleague Crawford in his castle. Now his monstrous servants are enraged, and his resonance engine is splitting the very fabric of the universe, merging the castle with the alien worlds that coexist with the earth! Your only hope now is to shoot your way to the upper levels of the castle and shut down the machine before all existence is reduced to pandemonium!

FEARS is a remake of the Amiga shooter of the same name, additionally influenced by H. P. Lovecraft's "From Beyond". Use your flashlight to illuminate the ever-present darkness and blast beings from your worst nightmares.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cherno

Re: FEARS - Amiga Remake - 4 Level Demo + Guns Only Mod

Post by Cherno »

I'm not quite sure what this mod actually does :ugeek: The weapons, enemies and levels are similar but where is the connection to Fears?
Rayman The Hedgehog

Post by Rayman The Hedgehog »

Nice, but it looks totally different from the original game, also why not use the original weapons with some edits? :? (with the knife i think the caleb hand can be perfect for that)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I can definitely see the parallels between the two, but I like the original round orange guys a lot better.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just thought I'd mention that the PDF manual with the mod says that it is an "Atmospheric Horror Mod For Ultimate Doom" but here and on your website you say that it is for Doom 2 (the Guns Only Mod being just for Ultimate Doom).

Also, as it is based on the old Amiga game I imagine that jumping and crouching are not intended, so I've not bound these functions to keys. The mapinfo doesn't appear to disable these functions though.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm not familiar with the original but this is a nice fun little mod. The two-eyed caco thingies are creepy and cool.

I like the weird floaty jellyfish too.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Just thought I'd mention that the PDF manual with the mod says that it is an "Atmospheric Horror Mod For Ultimate Doom" but here and on your website you say that it is for Doom 2 (the Guns Only Mod being just for Ultimate Doom).

Also, as it is based on the old Amiga game I imagine that jumping and crouching are not intended, so I've not bound these functions to keys. The mapinfo doesn't appear to disable these functions though.
I forgot to restrict jumping and crouching. Also I was sure I updated the pdf but I musta forgot to add it to the archive.

EDIT: Odd, I added the nojump and nocrouch restrictions to the mapinfo file like i did with the others, yet they aren't taking effect...
Rayman The Hedgehog wrote:Nice, but it looks totally different from the original game, also why not use the original weapons with some edits? :? (with the knife i think the caleb hand can be perfect for that)
IT's the same with the other remakes/reboots. The OG guns look terrible and I didn't wanna use them. They're stiff and under-detailed.
Cherno wrote:I'm not quite sure what this mod actually does :ugeek: The weapons, enemies and levels are similar but where is the connection to Fears?
It's two pk3 files: one is a demo version with four levels and all the guns and monsters and stuff, the other is a weapons/monsters mod for use with other wads.

FEARS went through a bunch of enemy redesigns, and the final version just had a bunch of floaty heads with no animation frames for the entire enemy roster. That sucks, so I channeled some older enemy designs that actually had bodies and animation frames. Also there's practically no plot to the original beyond "you're in a mad scientist's castle. kill everything!"
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Cherno wrote:I'm not quite sure what this mod actually does :ugeek: The weapons, enemies and levels are similar but where is the connection to Fears?
I feel this way about a lot of Impie's remake mods. I feel like they'd probably benefit more from changing up the level designs a little, filing off the serial numbers and changing the name so it becomes an original, oldgame-inspired TC. As it stands, they kind of hit an awkward place where they don't quite appeal to the guy who wants to play that Amiga game they liked when they were 12 but with non-terrible controls/framerate, but also don't quite appeal to the guy looking for a new non-Doom experience.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

ImpieTwo wrote: FEARS went through a bunch of enemy redesigns, and the final version just had a bunch of floaty heads with no animation frames for the entire enemy roster. That sucks, so I channeled some older enemy designs that actually had bodies and animation frames. Also there's practically no plot to the original beyond "you're in a mad scientist's castle. kill everything!"
I always thought that the censored version had the blob monsters (for the German market, maybe for other countries too) and proper humanoid creatures with bloody deaths and stuff for the uncensored international version.
Korell

Post by Korell »

ImpieTwo wrote:
Korell wrote:Just thought I'd mention that the PDF manual with the mod says that it is an "Atmospheric Horror Mod For Ultimate Doom" but here and on your website you say that it is for Doom 2 (the Guns Only Mod being just for Ultimate Doom).

I forgot to restrict jumping and crouching. Also I was sure I updated the pdf but I musta forgot to add it to the archive.

EDIT: Odd, I added the nojump and nocrouch restrictions to the mapinfo file like i did with the others, yet they aren't taking effect...
What did you do to the mapinfo exactly? I just tried it myself by adding

Code: Select all

defaultmap {nocrouch nojump}
inbetween the gameinfo and map sections and it successfully stops me from using the jump and crouch functions if I bind keys to them.
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

This looks pretty good, Impie. I don't own an Amiga, but I've seen this game.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote: What did you do to the mapinfo exactly? I just tried it myself by adding

Code: Select all

defaultmap {nocrouch nojump}
inbetween the gameinfo and map sections and it successfully stops me from using the jump and crouch functions if I bind keys to them.
I did it like that. tried it before and after gameinfo and it didn't take either way. I copy-pasted how it was done for Nerves of Steel, but for some reason it isn't working here.

EDIT: Hang on, it's working now. I dunno why.
Cherno wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote: FEARS went through a bunch of enemy redesigns, and the final version just had a bunch of floaty heads with no animation frames for the entire enemy roster. That sucks, so I channeled some older enemy designs that actually had bodies and animation frames. Also there's practically no plot to the original beyond "you're in a mad scientist's castle. kill everything!"
I always thought that the censored version had the blob monsters (for the German market, maybe for other countries too) and proper humanoid creatures with bloody deaths and stuff for the uncensored international version.
Wait, there's a censored and uncensored version? If that's true, i only ever see the censored version on youtube.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Update!

- Guns Only mod replaces ALL monsters in Doom 2, AND adds a Super Shotgun replacement. So it's not limited for use with Ultimate Doom anymore.

- Fixed a missing texture on Map02.

- Biodead now live up to their fearsome description in the pdf regarding their ability to rebuild and revive each other. Hue hue hue...

Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Ooooo this is getting really cool! Really atmospheric, and seems to have a lot of detail and lore put into it. I fuckin love it. Also, I noticed this mod is complimented incredibly well by this mod here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31134
The new textures make it feel like you're actually fighting through a castle! But yeah, keep up the good work! Really glad we have someone consistently putting out badass Lovecraft-inspired content for Doom
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Whoah wrote:Ooooo this is getting really cool! Really atmospheric, and seems to have a lot of detail and lore put into it. I fuckin love it. Also, I noticed this mod is complimented incredibly well by this mod here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31134
The new textures make it feel like you're actually fighting through a castle! But yeah, keep up the good work! Really glad we have someone consistently putting out badass Lovecraft-inspired content for Doom
The download link for that makeover mod is broken, else i'd love to try it out. Is there a mirror somewhere?

EDIT: NVM found a mediafire link in the same thread.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”