DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wewers

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.1] [MP-B7.1]

Post by wewers »

Bug report:

gzdoom-bin-4-0-0-x64
DoomRL_Arsenal_1.1.1.pk3
DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_7.1.pk3

PDA info for Gothic armor shows 0% protection, 50% melee, 50% bullet. Armor value does decrease when being attacked.
Once Onyx-modded, Gothic armor now shows 70% protection, 50% melee, 50% bullet.

---

Notes:

I've found the Heavy Combat Shotgun, Combat Shotgun, Storm Handcannon, Anti-Materiel Rifle gunfire sounds are overly loud. Personally, I think these need their volume lowered, they're way too loud compared to how everything else sounds.

DRLASounds.pk7 by Marrub, from viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37044&start=6075 and as noted on the front page of this mod viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37044 , does fix most, except for the Anti-Materiel Rifle. Making a minimod replacing the sound file used, DSAMRFIR.wav , seems to work fine.
Although DRLASounds.pk7 does make the Heavy Combat Shotgun & Combat Shotgun sound kinda meh. And I swear I heard those before...

And is it just me or do all the basic pistols, Pistol, Combat Pistol, Marksman Pistol and Handcannon all seem pretty weak?

I've played as Technician, they all seem to take too long and too many shots to down an Imp. I've got a PP7 drop once, but it's the same as the other pistols? But once I upgraded the lowly Pistol to the Plasma Pistol, now it's awesome. Plasma Pistol can gib an Imp in 1 hit.
Then there's the Storm Handcannon. The default gunfire sound is earthshaking, and the storm handcannon sprite looks cool, but the damage is not. Plasma > Storm

Oh yeah, and the Storm Marksman Pistol's sprite reuses the default Marksman Pistol's black handgun sprite.

Edit: updated some info
Last edited by wewers on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

wewers wrote:And is it just me or do all the basic pistols, Pistol, Combat Pistol, Marksman Pistol and Handcannon all seem pretty weak?
With some very few exceptions, the only class that should be using pistols is the Scout. Turning the Combat Pistol into a Storm weapon makes it an awesome choice for a Renegade (basically becomes a rapid-fire mini-shotgun capable of one-shotting anything up to a Commando), but aside from that, pistols aren't really useful for other classes unless you have something in mind for an assembly.
wewers

Post by wewers »

Oh, another bug:

gzdoom-bin-4-0-0-x64
DoomRL_Arsenal_1.1.1.pk3
+some sound mods

Repulsion Wave suit's special doesn't seem to do anything. Pressed button, got gold "Repulsion Wave activated." text onscreen, screen shook, but nothing else seemed to happen.

Summoned 4 imps around me and they didn't move. Neither did single pinky demons nor cacodemons. Weapon and ammo items didn't move either.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Spoilery comments and questions.
Spoiler:
Also yeah, handguns are mostly useful on Scout, but with that class having something like a Handcannon with upgrades is great for picking lesser enemies off and extremely efficient, that I was able to use that as a sidearm despite 1/10th bullet capacity. The rest were heavier weapons.

EDIT: Forgot almost. Adaptive difficulty doesn't seem a lot different from standard, except for having randomly woken enemies in MAP02 and a couple of variations in MAP04. Maybe I'm just dense though.
wewers

Post by wewers »

Another bug report, this one freezes the game:

gzdoom-bin-4-0-0-x64
DoomRL_Arsenal_1.1.1.pk3

Add Nano mod to Burst Minigun. Full ammo ok. Fire gun ok. Manual reload ok.
Wait for the ammo to regen. Moments after barrels stop spinning, game freezes. Music is playing, but screen is frozen. Had to end task in Task Manager.
Happens with or without sound mods.

I tested a few other weapons with the Nano mod and they all seemed to work fine, had no problems regenning ammo or firing: Chaingun, Minigun, Gatling Gun, Highpower Minigun, Burst Chaingun.

(Edit)
Odd things:

- Anti Materiel Rifle, whether unscoped or scoped, seems to put two bulletholes, one above another, on the wall below the cursor. But it's a single shot weapon. Intentional?

- When looking at the bulletholes on a wall, Combat Shotgun and Heavy Combat Shotgun both seem to fire pellets in a mostly straight horizontal line. Shotgun, Heavy Shotgun, WSTE-M5 shotgun, all seem to fire pellets in more of a round scatter pattern.
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

fakemai wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i think the clones are a very rare spawn that replaces the Arch-Vile. i don't know which tier it belongs to though, possibly an extra Armageddon spawn?

i'd like to know more of how the danger system works. it seems that increasing the danger level bar in the options has a remarkable effect on how far ahead the difficulty is in Armageddon, but i don't know if it sets the danger level high when you start the game, if it increases the danger level exponentially when you progress through the game, or both.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i'd like to know more of how the danger system works. it seems that increasing the danger level bar in the options has a remarkable effect on how far ahead the difficulty is in Armageddon, but i don't know if it sets the danger level high when you start the game, if it increases the danger level exponentially when you progress through the game, or both.
I cranked it all the way up just to see what would happen, and I didn't see a single non-Armageddon enemy. Immediately noped out of that.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Jayrassic Park wrote:At the risk of being contentless or asking about something already asked: I'm surprised the Heavy Hunting Shotgun doesn't have new sprites or sounds to differentiate it from the vanilla, while the Heavy Hunting Revolver does.
Can't add what I don't have. Also its the High Power Hunting Revolver, not Heavy.
Jayrassic Park wrote:Also, the upgraded P90 (I forget the name or even the assembly recipe :V)'s invisibility secondary fire doesn't seem to work half the time.
Can't reproduce.
NickDoom wrote:Also, a sort of bug found: if I keep firing HP Chaingun and select a different weapon (either take it or press a key), it fires short bursts instead of constant firing.
Don't do it then.
NickDoom wrote:It gives me another stupid idea: a rifle with bayonet can be controlled without additional bindings. Pressing „1“ while holding „fire“ can be used for a combo „immediate bayonet attack, and switch to Fist afterwards“.
Can't be done.
Baconator wrote:Minor nitpick but is there any chance in the future that plasmatic shotguns get different pickup sprites different than normal weapons?
It is hard to distinguish them when playing non-engineer.
That is indeed planned, Ryan had some cool ideas for them in the near future.
fakemai wrote:Adaptive difficulty doesn't seem a lot different from standard, except for having randomly woken enemies in MAP02 and a couple of variations in MAP04. Maybe I'm just dense though.
Adaptive is currently broken.
wewers wrote:Anti Materiel Rifle, whether unscoped or scoped, seems to put two bulletholes, one above another, on the wall below the cursor. But it's a single shot weapon. Intentional?
I don't seem to be able to get the engine to not friggin fight me on this, so looks like it'll be weird like that. I can't fix it.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i think the clones are a very rare spawn that replaces the Arch-Vile. i don't know which tier it belongs to though, possibly an extra Armageddon spawn?
Depends on what you're talking about. Corrupted players are the main ones, they do not spawn naturally. Monsters with corrupting effects can create them.

The other would be
Spoiler:
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i'd like to know more of how the danger system works. it seems that increasing the danger level bar in the options has a remarkable effect on how far ahead the difficulty is in Armageddon, but i don't know if it sets the danger level high when you start the game, if it increases the danger level exponentially when you progress through the game, or both.
Yeah, Dangerlevel is broken right now. Pretty much the only part of it that works is the starting slider. The actual normal mechanics of it just don't increase like they should right now, so Adaptive won't really... adapt. Which is really really annoying that it got bloody released like this.
Bofubutt wrote:I cranked it all the way up just to see what would happen, and I didn't see a single non-Armageddon enemy. Immediately noped out of that.
Yep, 0 is all Standard, 50 is all Armageddon, with everything in between being a gradual curve of viciousness.

I haven't gotten much done lately, haven't had any motivation to work on this, especially due to some really complicated stuff that needs doing. I'll try and push myself to get some more done.
gunofdis

Post by gunofdis »

0 danger level adaptive will spawn a lot more wildcard bosses than standard, so it's not quite the same.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

I gotta ask is it worth using the necro armor when you find it? since the lack of resistances and the sucking your health to repair itself gig = a instao toss for me
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Aha, I wanted the danger level setting maxed out, I've seen evil clone twice already, and he's pretty terrifying. But yeah I was assembling all kinds of high-end weapons and getting zero punishment for it prior to that, and all the master-tier ones I've put together seem insane, even factoring in DRLM+LDL. Also I saw some kind of plan for a "nanoblade" but it isn't showing up in the list. I'm assuming that's just because melee weapons are not even implemented besides the chainsaw and it will be remembered for the PDA once implemented.

Also I'll preface this with the fact I'm running 3.8.0 vintage build, but it's possibly a general issue. I noticed performane eventually degraded sharply on certain maps. It's the rarity beams, and since I'm playing a class that doesn't see them, yet switching them off makes it playable somehow, hints at a scripting inefficiency. It happens with plain DRLA but it's a lot more noticeable with DRLM on maps like Doom 2 MAP10 or TNT MAP09 thanks to all the weapon drops, and it eventually gets to slideshow framerates. My system is actually old but there's very few performance issues othewise with the mod and this particular example seems questionable.

EDIT: Similarly there's also an issue with the PDA and certain armor icons just displaying a small "a" compared to 3.7.2. Commando Armor is one example. I wouldn't know what's ultimately responsible or whether it represents a backwards compatibility issue with your supported version.
hammer oz wrote:I gotta ask is it worth using the necro armor when you find it? since the lack of resistances and the sucking your health to repair itself gig = a instao toss for me
I haven't actually seen much of the durability system yet but I'm fairly sure it's not the same as regular Doom armor, and the self-repair HP may well be worth the tradeoff of what it blocks in the first place. It is admittedly a risky one though.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

it repairs itself at a rate of hit point for two armor points, so you get a net gain for every point it drains. i suppose it could have better resistances though, since a couple other armors has the same protection value as it does, but better resistances and less riskier trade-offs.

edit: don't know if this is intentional or not, but the Gothic Arms melee still has the health drain that activates with Berserk, which regular melee doesn't have.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Can you add the ability to compare weapons in the pda.
Weapon suggestion a fast firing pistol, like a glock
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Bobby wrote: Weapon suggestion a fast firing pistol, like a glock
Have you found a Combat Pistol yet? Because that's basically what that is.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”