Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TimeGearCD

Re: Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

Post by TimeGearCD »

Congrats on the release, strawberry!
I've been following this for awhile.
Glad you could see you finish it!
Gonna play through it ASAP!
TheStrawberryOctopus

Post by TheStrawberryOctopus »

TimeGearCD wrote:Congrats on the release, strawberry!
I've been following this for awhile.
Glad you could see you finish it!
Gonna play through it ASAP!
I am glad to finally be able to share it!

Oh yes, just a heads up since I forgot to mention this; If the demo wasn't any indicator, this game is TOUGH, so be prepared!
SimonTheDigger

Post by SimonTheDigger »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote: Oh yes, just a heads up since I forgot to mention this; If the demo wasn't any indicator, this game is TOUGH, so be prepared!
Yes, this game is very, very tough. Almost too tough. And there are no difficulty options on top of that.
I love everything about this game - the aesthetic, the character designs, the weapon designs, the animations - except playing it. I can't figure out what it wants me to do or how I'm supposed to fight anything without dying in seconds. (Playing as the lizardman and spamming the shotgun got me a little further than I got with other characters, but only a little.) I really, really want to love this game
but with the extremely high level of difficulty it presents I just can't bring myself to try and seriously complete it. I'm really sorry. I guess I'm just not good enough at classic FPSes to be able to play this.
TheStrawberryOctopus

SimonTheDigger wrote: Oh yes, just a heads up since I forgot to mention this; If the demo wasn't any indicator, this game is TOUGH, so be prepared!
I will say this; If you haven't talked to the NPC's in the City of Magic, I would advise to do so!

I suspect I know where you are having trouble, and some NPC's (including the villagers) will be able to give you a hand there!
thisweirddogdude

Post by thisweirddogdude »

i tried playing the PK3 file version on gzdoom 3.7.2 but it causes a "Very Fatal Error" crash a few seconds after my first enemy encounter outside of the castle grounds, along with the crosshairs being inverted..
when I play the MoM.exe version, the audio and frames stutter just a tiny bit when new scenes load onscreen and while im running around exploring.. but otherwise it works fine!
I made this account just to say I'm real excited to dive into this game!! looking forward to seeing some bugs get squashed
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Aaaahahah so it's finally here. Congratulations, for this time on the Complete Release! It's been a long time, but you truly done it. The game looks really expanded and nice now. I'm going to play the Game and let's see if i can find some problems and Feedback you later.

Also please do send PsyRedtails my regards! :D
SimonTheDigger

Post by SimonTheDigger »

Ok so, yeah, I was being a bit overdramatic earlier. I'm just so used to playing Doom that when the strategy of "kill the hell out of the first enemy you see" doesn't work, and the game expects me to actually run away from some enemies, it short circuits my brain. I hauled ass through the forest and got to the graveyard and now things are much better. I still kind of wish enemies had pain states like in vanilla Doom though. Oh well.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Apparently, a lot of efforts were put into developing this game.
It is really sad when several technical issues enter the scene.

First of all, it's almost always a bad sign when a product is distributed as RAR archive. I don't know why exactly, but still.
I have no idea why people bought commercial software when free open source analogues are better.
Well, it's just my opinion, so how cares. Now the real issues.

The distribution is ~110 MB in size, but it contains 52 MB backup of the main .pk3 file.
GZDoom 3.2.0 is shipped with the game. Yes, it's the version with several security issues discovered.
BTW even this old version supports custom .ipk3 IWADs, but this feature isn't used for unknown reason.

Pre-configured .ini file isn't really good either. Why was 1280x960 windowed mode set by default?
I would provide configuration files (autoexec.cfg at least) with bindings and maybe a few important options if any.
This is especially true for users of alternative operating systems.
Manual comparison and configuration file editing is so funny.

Probably, all these things are OK for standalone game that doesn't advertise a relation to GZDoom.
For me the mentioned points are rather disappointing.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh yeah... I just noticed that the Filesize of the Game is Super large. And don't get me wrong, i do understand the large filesize because the maps are big, grand, and yet has tons of special graphics. But the thing i don't quite understand is that it keep fails to Download. Because it was Network Error or something. This mostly happens when i close the Official Website after clicking the Download Button.

So i've had such issues like this while Downloading and was a bit inconvenient. And i'm not even sure if it was my Computer's Problem. Nonetheless, Glad to hear people are playing the Game right now and Replying how it was. That's certainly something! So i Downloaded the Game and it's ready to go. Thanks for the Release! :D
TheStrawberryOctopus

"_mental_"
Yo, Yowza, you are correct; I forgot that Slade 3 makes a back up file of the pk file when it saves. That is not intended and I will correct that problem now for future downloads!

Also, while it uses a WinRAR file, 7zip should be open to still open it, correct, which is free to use?... If it is too much of a hassle, I can find some of the alternatives!

I am noticing people have some difficulty in the starting area, so I will probably do a quick update and may tweak the difficulty there (the main complaint seems to stem from the forest area sequence!)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Well, indeed. When SLADE3 Saves the file, it also creates Backup File(The name of the extension is bak, i'm positive) in case of Going down South. So deleting the Backup File might decrease the Size a bit, so that's a relief!

And the happiest thing i ever heard so far is the Loosening the Game Difficulty! Maybe it's only the thing for that Starting Area, but glad you listened to their Feedback. I should wait for the Update and Redownload the Game again. Thanks again!
TheStrawberryOctopus

I have performed the hotfix, and the current of version of MoM should of had the difficulty reduced. You can see the changes listed here!
https://strawberryoctii.itch.io/memoirs ... difficulty
Caped64

Post by Caped64 »

I'm unsure if this is the place to ask this, but where do you level up your weapons and such? Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be an NPC or Book explaining it.

Also great work on the game itself! I love the old game feel and art style it has.
TheStrawberryOctopus

Caped64 wrote:I'm unsure if this is the place to ask this, but where do you level up your weapons and such? Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be an NPC or Book explaining it.

Also great work on the game itself! I love the old game feel and art style it has.
You gain access to the Shop to Level up once you visited the shops in one of the 6 villagers!

You cannot access the shop proper within the City of Magic!
APesquera

Post by APesquera »

Any tips on the temple puzzle with all the snakes? It's really obnoxious to go inside that room and I don't see any clear solution.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”