Possible bug involving custom bound keys in menu

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Ryuhi

Possible bug involving custom bound keys in menu

Post by Ryuhi »

Currently with my mod there is an issue involving the player pressing a key that is bound to a custom function while in menus, namely one that uses a simple script to add an item to the player's inventory for as long as it is held down, and then remove it as soon as the key is released. In testing the issue it seems to only happen if the player has not yet started a game, and seems to happen almost every time the key is pressed (even during initial binding.) The only exception I have found to this is when another key is pressed to bring up the main menu, and no navigation into the other menus (such as OptionsMenu) has been made. This issue has started in 4.0.0 and is present in 4.1.0 as well. Concerned that it may be an issue with a naming conflict with any internal changes, I have changed both the name of the alias and the scripts themselves just to be sure:

original keyconfig wording

Code: Select all

addmenukey "Kick" +Action
alias +Action "pukename StartUserAction always"
alias -Action "pukename StopUserAction always"
defaultbind Q +Action
Modified keyconfig for testing

Code: Select all

addmenukey "Kick" +GonnaKickStuff
alias +GonnaKickStuff"pukename StartKicking always"
alias -GonnaKickStuff"pukename StopKicking always"
defaultbind Q +GonnaKickStuff
With the scripts being renamed and recompiled as necessary. I did also try removing the always tag with no change.

Crash logs provided via SilentDarkness12 in the Heretical Doom topic: download/file.php?id=35185

Edit: Upon further testing, commenting out the <alias -Action "pukename StopKicking always"> seems to avoid the crash. This command is the one that removes the item from the players inventory
_mental_

Re: Possible bug involving custom bound keys in menu

Post by _mental_ »

Could you please explain in a few simple steps what I should do to reproduce this crash?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Attached is a sample file with the minimum files to be able to trigger the crash. If you press the Q key (the default bind) before doing anything else, it will crash. If you go into the options menu and select the added menu section for the control remapping and try mapping it, it will crash.
Oddly enough, if you remove the addkeysection line from the KEYCONF lump in the file, it will cause the crash to not happen.
Attachments
kicktest.pk3
(14.77 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Ryuhi wrote:Attached is a sample file with the minimum files to be able to trigger the crash.
A .wad with .pk3 extension, missing LOADACS lump, missing A_START/A_END markers...
Ryuhi wrote:If you press the Q key (the default bind) before doing anything else, it will crash.
'Before doing anything else' means nothing to me. At least, which IWAD should I load?
Should I start a new game? I guess I should because in-game bindings are not processed in menu.
Regardless of this, it doesn't crash for me.
Ryuhi wrote:If you go into the options menu and select the added menu section for the control remapping and try mapping it, it will crash.
Still no crash.

Could you please try to trigger the crash without a config?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

the original crash was from Heretical Doom, I tried making a quick vaccinated archive with just the minimal files for you, i apologize for not making it perfectly in my haste. It has been reported in the thread for the mod by another user, and I have been trying to isolate it as it has only started happening since the 4.0.0 release. It has happened in multiple IWADS, and as stated, it only occurs if a new game has not yet been started.

That said, the crash DID still occur for me with the provided archive, when pressing the key and/or binding it to the function before loading or starting a new game.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”