Doom 64 EX OGG

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Mav3r1ck

Doom 64 EX OGG

Post by Mav3r1ck »

To clarify even further then what the title says. I wish to convert the music used by Doom 64 EX to OGG format. If I'm understanding this correctly, it will only play correctly in game with the soundfont and the fluidsynth but the midis sound weird.

So how would I got about getting this done correctly?
Enjay

Re: Doom 64 EX OGG

Post by Enjay »

Using a midi player that allows soundfont loading and can also output to a WAV/FLAC/MP3/OGG might do it. I don't know of any particular software, but I know it can be done that way.

Or google them. There are a few places that you can get the tracks already converted to FLAC/MP3 etc format. Or you could even buy the digital album from the composer Aubrey Hodges. https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album ... soundtrack
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

I have all of Aubrey Hodges music bought and downloaded. The reason I asked for Doom 64 EX OGGs is because it sounds different than the original N64 version. As if it was enhanced on the PC port. I can tell there are difference between 64 EX and N64 music by the way it sounds.

I did exactly what you had suggested and found a program online. Although I had to use a trial version but it got the job done. I now have all of 64 EX's midis converted to MP3s using the soundfont.

Thank you, for helping me with this. :)

EDIT: Is there a PSX Doom soundfont that I could get ahold of by any chance?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

PSX Doom actually used Redbook CD Audio music -- meaning it was stored on the disc as an actual audio track that was played during gameplay, exactly like how music is stored on an album that you'll buy. You should be able to find these tracks somewhere on Google.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Hellser wrote:PSX Doom actually used Redbook CD Audio music -- meaning it was stored on the disc as an actual audio track that was played during gameplay, exactly like how music is stored on an album that you'll buy. You should be able to find these tracks somewhere on Google.
Only a few tracks are CD audio, as I recall. The rest are sequenced with a soundfont ala Doom 64. Erick194 GEC thing in the TCs forum has the soundfont and MIDI files if you're curious.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Mav3r1ck wrote:I have all of Aubrey Hodges music bought and downloaded. The reason I asked for Doom 64 EX OGGs is because it sounds different than the original N64 version. As if it was enhanced on the PC port. I can tell there are difference between 64 EX and N64 music by the way it sounds.
IIRC, it's because the N64 music player had bugs (perhaps hardware bugs) that Kaiser couldn't manage to replicate. The difference is because Fluidsynth actually plays all the channels of the MIDI files it's sent instead of muting some of them according to some arcane logic that could not be discerned.

So yes, you get richer music on D64X compared to the original, but it's not a deliberate enhancement, and the the source data is unchanged.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Kinsie wrote:Only a few tracks are CD audio, as I recall. The rest are sequenced with a soundfont ala Doom 64. Erick194 GEC thing in the TCs forum has the soundfont and MIDI files if you're curious.
Really? I was under the impression they were CD audio. That's surprising. The more you know!
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

I’ve used Foobar2000 before since it uses Fluidsynth as the midi engine (same as EX). All you need is the plugin to allow MIDI playback which is on Foobar’s site IIRC.
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

I was looking for the psx soundfont cause I wanted to convert Doom 64 midis using the psx soundfont.

Sorry to bump an old topic.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”