MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
XLightningStormL

Re: MetaDoom v5.3 "Klave" (Artipatched! p104)

Post by XLightningStormL »

I mean to be fair, mods are always a personal medium. All other priorities secondary.

Would like to see some sort of new content though, the chances (probably) slim due to the new "feature creep" buzzword everyone seems to be using now.
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

I'm excited for more updates. I just tend to remain silent on the internet. Thank you for answering my questions in the past. I'm sorry I never really replied back, I honestly don't know why I didn't.
Last edited by austen1000 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Most features of this mod always feel like they have some purpose/use or just represent the effort and detail put into it, which i find it to be impressive.

News about code improvements are interesting to me because that could be cleaning up some space or reducing chance of bugs.

It can be "bloated" but i feel like it's "bloated" in a good way because of what i mentioned above. (plus the codex and how some stuff is designed means players are still aware of how things work instead of forgetting what a certain weapon or enemy does in some other mods)
It is a mod with an interesting concept that i can't imagine being executed better by anyone else, even when I try to imagine what could be done with the concept.

It's always exciting to see updates because you just know the mod keeps getting better.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

XLightningStormL wrote:Would like to see some sort of new content though, the chances (probably) slim due to the new "feature creep" buzzword everyone seems to be using now.
There will be more stuff, I'm just not sure how much. Let's not become AEoD here!
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Quick update time.

All the weapons have been thoroughly ZScriptified. This wasn't amazing work, by any means - it could probably be automated by an elaborate string of RegExes and find/replaces - but doing it all line-by-line let me find bugs, issues and some WTF-worthy code and fix issues as I came across them. Which is, you know, nice.

While I was at it though, I was able to make some improvements to the weapons that you can actually see.

First off, the Pistol's flashlight has been replaced. Instead of Zombie's old "endless stream of fast-moving invisible projectiles with pointlights attached" system, it's been replaced with a single spotlight, since we have those now.

Secondly, the Fire Extinguisher has received a few tweaks to its "spray yourself to be immune to Arch-Vile attacks" alt-fire. First off, the effect is a bit nicer, spawning around the player rather than directly from the center of their feet. Secondly, the exploit that lets you have the effect forever by finishing a level while it's active has been fixed (although I added a cheat to get the visual effect forever because it's funny). Finally, it lasts a bit longer so it's more useful.

Finally, the Rocket Launcher's manual-detonation altfire has been rendered more useful by causing the rocket to spray some ripper projectiles around. This still needs some tweaking, but it still does bad things to Mancubi pretty good like.

Outside of that, changes have mostly been minor bugfixes and tweaks that you probably wouldn't even notice if I hadn't pointed them out to you (woo, one-frame visual bugs!). Next up is finishing off the item pickups and inventory items, and then the monsters become my concern. Oh, the monsters...
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

You know what I love about MetaDoom besides all the monsters and weapons? Is that just because you are super low on health, it doesn't mean your run is over and you gotta load a quick save, you can always get back to full health by punching Pinky's or using Siphon Grenades. This of course does not mean the mod makes whatever mapset easier, its still fairly challenging, can't wait to play this next update Kinsie:)
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I just realized something: has the mod ever referenced the 3DO port?
I assume the music is all you need.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Minor update: Everything has been ZScriptified... except most of the monsters. That's the tough bit that I'm not exactly looking forwards to...

Also, the menus look a bit less painful to look at.
Faceman2000

Post by Faceman2000 »

Keep up the great work! That looks awesome!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I love that menu.
I can see an issue with trying to make the title fit inside the screen but that can come down to how GZDoom handles resolutions and anyone's personal settings when playing the mod.

Also, is it me or does the Cybermanc has "planned positions" for where its projectiles fall?
I wonder if it was possible for his mortar balls to try and hit to where the player (or the enemy he's infighting) is standing.
Because there can be times where his projectiles won't hit you, if you're in the right spot.

But i can see that Cybermanc bit not being a good idea, since you've said porting enemies to Zscript will be even worse.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:I love that menu.
Also, is it me or does the Cybermanc has "planned positions" for where its projectiles fall?
I wonder if it was possible for his mortar balls to try and hit to where the player (or the enemy he's infighting) is standing.
Because there can be times where his projectiles won't hit you, if you're in the right spot.
No, it just fires with a set trajectory. Some dynamic trajectory calculation to try and hit further targets would be nice, but I'm shit at maths so...
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Also, when i got berserk, the fist from the quick melee keybind wasn't affected.
It delt the same amount of damage as it did without Berserk.
Not sure if it was intentionally but it meant that i couldn't do a quick berserk punch while carrying a weapon and that i'd have to switch to the fists.
Edit: this is from the version i took from github, by the way.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Also, when i got berserk, the fist from the quick melee keybind wasn't affected.
It delt the same amount of damage as it did without Berserk.
Not sure if it was intentionally but it meant that i couldn't do a quick berserk punch while carrying a weapon and that i'd have to switch to the fists.
Edit: this is from the version i took from github, by the way.
Fixed, thanks.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Nice. i haven't redownloaded the github demo yet and just so you know, i'm using GZdoom 4.1.2 32 bit.
I also believe i noticed two weird things.
1: didnt JPF had a bug where gibs and stuff stood in mid air when the sector they were on goes down? i saw that at times.
2: while playing through Doom 2, i was on a part of map 11: O of Destruction where i got a soulsphere out of nowhere, not sure if it's about the mod or even GZDoom but it just happened.
https://imgur.com/a/d7qvwWM

Edit: i guess the images in imgur are black now so i might as well link it to somewhere else i uploaded them. http://boards.4channel.org/vr/thread/5579406#p5580765
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

The soulsphere has always been there. It's an unmarked secret. The wall next to the torch can be walked through. It wouldn't be a secret if it wasn't hidden, would it? ;)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”