The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Guncaster - 3.2

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

I wanna report, well... Dunno how much of a bug it would really be, but for the simple gun with the chain lightning that Cygnis gets, funny enough if that chain lightning is fired at some enemies and then ends up like say the very little red guys from Heretic, their is a chance that the chain lighting puts on an odd light show and continues to circle around the small enemy endlessly until it possibly hits it in some way or something else like an obstacle or another enemy in the way.
Yeah I dunno if it is a bug, or just some way that the gun likes to put on a light show for me sometimes. :P
FlyingPotato

Post by FlyingPotato »

Found this mod a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it so far (loved Russian Overkill, too). I did notice a couple of minor aesthetic bugs that I wanted to report. If someone else has brought these up already, sorry.
First, the Chaingun Guy (Heavy Weapon Dude, whatever) doesn't show up in the ending "cast list" for Doom 2.
Second, the second intermission screen for Doom 2 (between MAP11 and MAP12, stored as C2TEXT) still displays the default text about being the last human on Earth, instead of the text from Guncaster that should replace it. All other text (that I've seen, including other intermission screens) has been replaced correctly.
I managed to fix the first issue in my download by myself by finding the file with the code for the cast list in Guncaster.pk3, finding the corresponding file in gzdoom.pk3, and adding the missing lines of code.
Trying to fix the second issue has me baffled, though (probably because I have no modding experience :P ); I found LANGUAGE.txt, the file with all of the Guncaster replacement text in it, but can't for the life of me find the code that actually causes the text to be replaced (if that's even how it works).
Again, loving the mod. Keep up the great work!
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The Chaingunner missing from the cast is indeed an oversight. Thanks for mentioning it. The intermission text C2TEXT, however, works perfectly fine with base Guncaster and Doom 2. Are you loading Guncaster with any other mods that may possibly contain a DEHACKED lump? DEHACKED always wins over replacement LANGUAGE strings.
FlyingPotato

Post by FlyingPotato »

Your right; it's working fine. It wasn't a DEHACKED conflict; it must have been something weird with GZDoom. I updated from 3.7.2 to 4.0, and that solved the issue.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Not sure if it's been reported before, here are few bugs I found recently, both of which related to Strife.

1) does not displaying the key nor inventory display, simple as that.

2) Barrels: whenever I try to pick up strife related barrel, it just stays still but I get copy of Doom barrel, so when I drop it's just a doom barrel with bugged texture. Technically I can doublecate infinite amount of these barrels.

EDIT: Oh and there is also weird bug that if you torch the enemy or a barrel, it will damage you. In fact it may even damage you after like 3 second once you killed the enemy but run over it's burning body.

Also I'd like to suggest for loadsamoney mode to not magnet the map exclusive gold\gems, since that would kill the joy of finding a secret, while still being able to magnet gold/gems from breaked barrels and killed enemied. In fact I'd like if enemis actually drop more gold there, since good portion of them do not drop any gold at all.
ArkyonVeil

Post by ArkyonVeil »

God dammit. I wasn't planning to feature two of Pillow's mods. But oh well, they were too much fun to not put them in.
Anyways, Guncaster, Russian Overkill and more at the same time.

Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Well that's certainly an interesting take on a doom video. I like the progress bar. I do wish the games took up more of the screen but I'm not sure how you'd go about that seeing as how any increase to width would require a third row.
ArkyonVeil

Post by ArkyonVeil »

Rowsol wrote:Well that's certainly an interesting take on a doom video. I like the progress bar. I do wish the games took up more of the screen but I'm not sure how you'd go about that seeing as how any increase to width would require a third row.
The first way I tried it involved filling all of the available screen space without skewing the gameplay. The views were larger but there wasn't room for a progress bar and the video was a confusing mess. The only way i can figure doing this without changing this whole setup too much would be to cut 2 mods. A bit unfortunate since I had recorded all 8 at this point :P
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

This is one of my most favorite Doom mods. I love controlling an anthropomorphic dragon who uses guns and spell at same time. It'like playing as Dragon Alucard.

Thanks Pillow!
FlyingPotato

Post by FlyingPotato »

I'd like to report a couple more issues that I noticed.

1) When exiting Riftwalk (i.e. letting go of the "use" key), the game outputs the following message:

ACS: 'ReaverCounter': Unknown actor class.

I'm using the latest version of GZDoom (4.0.0). No other mods are present. It happens with or without the addon. I even re-downloaded the Guncaster files to make sure that I hadn't messed something up while poking around in them earlier.

2) If Cygnis has the Deadmaker's Mask equipped, and then dies with his fists equipped, he can throw fireballs and cast spells while dead. It's rather amusing, and mostly useless, but still seemed unintentional.
Starman the Blaziken

I apparently had just found a rather bad bug in Hexen with this mod where when I got all parts for the Bishop suit, it gave me P_StartScript: Unkown Script "Mighty Morphin' Power Dragon"
Normally when putting on the suit as it is from Doom or Heretic it is fine with no script issue, this one with just the parts do for some reason.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Yep, this is a known issue for this release. You can fix it by giving yourself a PowersuitItem, which is what that now defunct script was written to do.
Starman the Blaziken

Zhs2 wrote:Yep, this is a known issue for this release. You can fix it by giving yourself a PowersuitItem, which is what that now defunct script was written to do.
Yeah, I did that (but not summoning via the suit actor) after luckily summoning my first BEG 9000 (I call it that so bleh)
Speaking of the suit, I always think for such a suit I always would think the suit would give you the power to use your hands and maybe legs by looking and using to keep (a) crushing object(s) from smooshing you into a grape sandwich very easily. I dunno why I always think that though.
FlyingPotato

Post by FlyingPotato »

Playing through Deus Vult with guncaster, and noticing that one issue with slaughtermaps and Guncaster is lots and lots of money drops spread over large areas. Can I suggest adding the money magnet effect to the "Hoarding Headache" loot option, as well?
Starman the Blaziken

Found a bug with the addon (apart from it dun work with Doom 1 because it does not let me play it anyhow with it breaking the addon stuffs upon loading):
When I am in shadow mode while as big demony Cygnis, his left hand turns into a 2nd right hand when I hold onto use (Where he can pass through sprites to be specific) until I stop holding onto the use button and his hand is normal again.
And also another bug-ish one where if I use the all weapons cheat I get two Morning Glories, one normal one, and one that displays the Hexen mana.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”