[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

Re: [v2.5] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Mikk- »

Oops my bad, I got the emeralds and rubies switched up. Diamonds are significantly rarer due to their weight in the RandomSpawner, they also only spawn 50% of the time. It's also worth noting that the GemSpawner only falls in the highest tier, so a monster must have > 2000 starting health, even then if it's pushed to the Bundle Array it's not a guaranteed spawn, and even still it's not guaranteed because of its weight and spawn chance.

I'll have to take a look at how commonly it actually spawns, but from my maths it seems pretty rare.

EDIT: I just tried it out: I bound a key to spawn the GemDropper and it took 248 tries to spawn a diamond, I'd say that's rather rare for something that only drops from the toughest enemies.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Okay, thanks for the heads up.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I've just re-uploaded version 2.5 with some minor fixes, namely chex quest support & some guncaster stuff. Version is staying at 2.5, but please redownload!
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Well I ran into something. If you load Guncaster, this mod (I just updated it), and the universal guncaster adapter by Dino Nerd and then IDKFA the game crashes. Load this with just GC, works fine. Adapter has worked fine for many hours now as well.
Funnily enough, the first crash showed the mod Motion Blur as the culprit. I removed all mods from loading and narrowed it down to this mod not liking the adapter.
I should mention I'm on gzdoom 3.7.2.

I guess I'll leave some feedback. The bundles drop way too much. I killed a cacodemon which usually gives 50 gold and it dropped around 400 gold, plus all the health and what not. It wasn't mutated, just a fast one (grey). For that reason I have to turn bundles off.
The food should probably give 5 health instead of 1 so you don't have to drop so much of it. It could also use a suitable pickup sound.
Attachments
hmm.JPG
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

KILLER2 wrote:Just found a bug with the Champions wad when loading it with Legendoomlite and DRLA+monsterpack. After killing the champion (note I used resurrect 2 times and used MDK but that shouldn't be the issue), I got this console message.
"(red colour)VM Execution aborted: Array acces out of bounds Max. index = 0, current index = 0 (/red) //note it didn't actually write "(red colour) I'm just pointing out this text was red instead of regular colour
called from champion_bundle. champion_dropitems at mk_champions [2.5]. pk3:zscript/champions/bundles/bundles.txt, line 31
called from champion_bundle. postbeginplay at mk-champions [2.5] pk3:zscript(etc. same as above), line 84"

Played on GZDoom 3.4.1
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

I found a bug.
when I killed golden or silver enemy with titan mutation and it spawned item bundle, the game crushes.
It always happens except when the said enemy has small maximum health (like Zombieman)
I'm on gzdoom 3.7.2, and I didn't use any mod except your mod.
Attachments
2019-03-25 02_50_57-2019-03-25 02_41_47-Final Doom_ Plutonia Experiment.png - IrfanView.png
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I was playing Chex Quest with (in load order) Champions first then Heretical Doom, but one of the enemies dropped a bowl of fruit (from Chex Quest) instead of a Quartz Flask (which is supposed to replace the bowl in Heretical Doom)...
Talon1024

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

I see what's causing the array index to go out of bounds.

champion_Bundle.champions_DropItems(int drops) has a loop that removes items from the DropItems array, but the "drops" argument is not modified to account for the shrinkage.

Adding this at the beginning of the for loop fixes the bug:

Code: Select all

if (i >= DropItems.Size()) break;
Fixed code:

void champion_DropItems(int drops = 4)
		{
		int max = DropItems.Size()-1;
		for(int i = 0; i < drops; i++)
			{
			int drop = random(0,max);
			A_SpawnItemEx(DropItems[drop],				xvel:frandom(1.0,2.0),
														zvel:frandom(8.0,10.0),
														angle:frandom(0.0,359.9),
														failchance:64);
			DropItems.Delete(drop);
			max = dropitems.Size()-1;
			}
		}

void champion_DropModitems(int drops = 4)
		{
		int max = ModItems.Size()-1;
		for(int i = 0; i < drops; i++)
			{
			int drop = random(0,max);
			A_SpawnItemEx(ModItems[drop],				xvel:frandom(1.0,2.0),
														zvel:frandom(8.0,10.0),
														angle:frandom(0.0,359.9),
														failchance:0);
			ModItems.Delete(drop);
			max = ModItems.Size()-1;
			}
		}		
jaargon

Post by jaargon »

Talon1024 wrote:I see what's causing the array index to go out of bounds.

champion_Bundle.champions_DropItems(int drops) has a loop that removes items from the DropItems array, but the "drops" argument is not modified to account for the shrinkage.

Adding this at the beginning of the for loop fixes the bug:

This fix worked for me. Thanks!
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

LegenDoom compatibility is strange. Enabling it pretty much makes all options related to spawn chances to not work. In both LD and Champions. Which is a shame, because the spawns become very scarce.
HUGEGUTS

Post by HUGEGUTS »

My guess is that only LD's spawn chance options are being taken into account if compatibility is enabled, since DIE.EXE turns every single monster into champion.
Got two questions regarding boosted champions for LD. I'm using GZDoom 3-7-2:
- Does yellow champion's attack and walk speed get quadrupled? Feels like that, and it's insane, especially for pinkies.
- Is it right that dark green champion's creep turns red when he becomes legendary?
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

HUGEGUTS wrote:My guess is that only LD's spawn chance options are being taken into account if compatibility is enabled, since DIE.EXE turns every single monster into champion.
I think you're right. I thought it didn't because I expected more to spawn on highest chance. But now I properly tested it and it does work.

Still, it seems like only champions can become legendary when LD compatibility is enabled. I wish it was random for both, like when that compatibility option is disabled, but still gave legendary champions boosted abilities.

Also, how about difficulty based mutation chance?
BradmanX
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

VM abort on 4.1.3 with Lt. Typhon after killing a Dark Red Champion with the Outsider Revolver or the FOG's alt. fire
https://i.imgur.com/WixvIOa.png
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

I gotta say I love the mod, been using it for months now with Shades of Doom and LegenDoom Lite. So far it's my fav monster combo. Looking forward to new updates, great work.

That said, I've reverted to v2.2, because v2.5 gave me problems. Namely there were crashes similar to the ones reported by others in this thread lately. I'm sorry I don't have screenshots with error messages, but at the time i didn't even have an account on these boards :oops:

Anyway, I think the food drops from Champions in v2.5 are a little weird. Imo they don't fit Doom's atmosphere and seem out of place.

One last thing: the green teleporting Champion, when happens to be one of the larger monsters and mixed with LegenDoom Lite, is a tough bastard to kill :mrgreen: He teleports all over the place like crazy with great speed, and beats the shit out of me quite often. I gotta git gud.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

The crash problems everyone is experiencing is most likely because of some function ticks not checking for the actor constantly, which is what the address zero error is. Some mod enemies dissapear instantly on death.

That and the item drop fix that someone else brought up.

I have a fixed version I edited myself but I don't want to post it without permission. Was waiting on the next version which should hopefully fix it as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”