Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks. That was one impressive piece of work. If the Eastern European languages just went as smoothly - but they are going a lot slower.
But as things stand, we got complete German, French, Spanish (almost complete), Russian and Korean translations which already covers a lot of ground.
Rouge Elric
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Rouge Elric »

Hello, I'm new here and I'd like to give you a hand with the Spanish translations from Spain. I am from the Canary Islands and I know enough English to help, and I would also adapt the original English texts to my native language. Translating from one language to another is not only translating in an almost literal way, you also have to take into account the idioms of that country if we speak of Spain, and if we speak of Latin America, then you have to be neutral, but you have to adapt the texts in English to Spanish. Give me a touch when you see the changes I have made in the columns of translation into Iberian Spanish.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Are there any specific issues you have with the Spanish translation? I am asking because there's already a Spaniard doing the translation, plus a South American who makes the necessary adjustments for Latin American Spanish.
Rouge Elric

Post by Rouge Elric »

I say this for some minor details in what I have seen at the moment of the spreadsheet, it is not that I have problems with the translation, which is very well done, I just ask if I could help even a little.
For example, here are my translations of some of the difficulty levels of the Doom IWAD and a more correct one for Evilution.

Hey, not too rough = Oye, no seas muy duro conmigo.
Hurt me plenty = Hazme mucho daño.
TNT: Evilution = TNT Maligvolución. (The title is a pun between Evil and Evolution, and when it is translated as Malvolución, part of that pun is lost. So, no matter how silly it seems, I decided to translate it by making a pun between Maligno and Evolución)

At most, I could revise some texts, especially Strife's, which are quite a lot, and I could revise them to see if I can put my grain of sand in the translation. Spanish Language and Literature is one of my strong points, and it's not to brag, but I have an almost perfect spelling and grammar. I will pass you my spreadsheet with the changes I have made with an asterisk.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you request access via Google's interface I can add you as contributor.
Rouge Elric

Post by Rouge Elric »

Thank you! I'll do my best!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

To properly handle font fallback if accented characters are missing, I added a new row where each language can list the required accented characters.
This should only contain those accented characters that are essential, if it is acceptable to omit an accent it should be left off.

I'd like to ask all contributors to fill this in for their language.

This will be used for deciding whether a mod-specified SmallFont can be used for printing on-screen messages from the engine and in case it doesn't, falls back on the SmallFont from the game itself.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

From the row description on the spreadsheet, it seems you want only the uppercase accented characters, but what if there are some accents which are available only in lowercase? In Italian grammar, for instance, the only uppercase accented character is È, the others are lowercase. Can I list these lowercase ones, too?

[edit] Nevermind, got brainfart here. Done.
Rouge Elric

Post by Rouge Elric »

Graf Zahl wrote:To properly handle font fallback if accented characters are missing, I added a new row where each language can list the required accented characters.
This should only contain those accented characters that are essential, if it is acceptable to omit an accent it should be left off.

I'd like to ask all contributors to fill this in for their language.

This will be used for deciding whether a mod-specified SmallFont can be used for printing on-screen messages from the engine and in case it doesn't, falls back on the SmallFont from the game itself.
Okay, thank you. By the way, I'm editing the existing spreadsheet in gzdoom.pk3 with a copy of the file I made to test whether the changes I'll make are possible or not. By the way, is it possible to add the special fonts used for the Nightmare! and Super Slimey! difficulties in other languages? Because when I put the engine language in other language than English, it uses the normal font instead of the special one.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Possible, yes, but it comes with its own share of problems and the need to maintain yet another font, which ultimately isn't really worth it.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Xero Elric wrote:By the way, is it possible to add the special fonts used for the Nightmare! and Super Slimey! difficulties in other languages? Because when I put the engine language in other language than English, it uses the normal font instead of the special one.
Graf and I discussed this here. While I did make a few suggestions on how to implement the Nightmare font (e.g. by adding it as lumps instead of a whole font, which gets replaced by the default font if changed by any mod—eliminating any need to worry about extra characters), it’s not an immediate priority. I want to add it in the future, although what’s more important right now is completing and fine-tuning the fonts that exist.
Last edited by Kostov on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rouge Elric

Post by Rouge Elric »

All right, thanks for the information. I was just curious.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Got some suggestions for resources to add to the main post.

Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/

Dictionary with translation tables (found via searching English words and looking in the subcategories under the “Translations” section—contains many precise definitions):
https://en.wiktionary.org/

Context translators (helpful for translating entire sentences and viewing words in different contexts)
https://context.reverso.net/translation/ (limited set of languages)
https://glosbe.com/ (large selection of languages)

Also, the information about Chex at the bottom of the main post is obsolete.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Negostrike
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Negostrike »

Is it only me who can't get the translations working on Hacx and Harmony? I'd like to test them.

Return to “Developer Blog”