[RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] ME

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MrRumbleRoses

Re: [RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC]

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Gerardo194 wrote:MrRumbleRoses, How do you run the wads included in this project? Remember they are run by the bat files included in the download. You don't need to copy and paste them into the GZDoom port.

From what I see in your error screen, you are running Doom 64 in GZDoom [GEC]version 1. You have to download the version 2 of the port. Once you download that, I won't affect the other wads. Use the bat files to run the games.
here's the kicker though. that is the error i get from version 2. when i try to use the version 2 one with Doom 64, i get that error issue. but the PSX ones are fine
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Erick194 wrote:Exactly I leave you the download link of version 2: Master Edition [GEC]_V2, as mentioned by my brother, you will see the following in the uncompressed folder:

just run the .bat files to start the game, if you have saved states, just copy them to the sourceport folder.
that error is from version 2 when i try to use Doom 64. the PSX ones are fine though. i just don't understand what happened really. i mean all 3 were working quite fine at 1 point, then 1 day Doom 64 was giving me that error. even when i had to get a new hard drive after my 1st one started failing. the PSX ones were still working great. but Doom 64. not so much. if i sound like i'm being rude, i'm sorry if it seems that way. i'm just...confused as to what's happened
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

For the love of god please don't make it default to fullscreen, and definitively do not change the user's current resolution and framerate without asking. I had to reboot my computer because it switched resolution to one unsupported by my monitor.

That said, I like the additions of fullbrights to monster eyes in PSXDoom. But I'd like to know how this compares to other ports in terms of accuracy?
Erick194

Post by Erick194 »

MrRumbleRoses, I am really as confused as you, I will try to find a solution for version 3.

Phredreeke, sorry for what happened, I really did not take it into account, thanks for the data.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Best version of console doom(s) I've played so far. Excellent work, especially with low resolution. colored lighting and menu.
But what is the best light level preset best, i'd say psx software?
Doom64 was pitch black for me :-?

Everything else absolutely rocks :rock:
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

Phredreeke wrote:For the love of god please don't make it default to fullscreen, and definitively do not change the user's current resolution and framerate without asking. I had to reboot my computer because it switched resolution to one unsupported by my monitor.

That said, I like the additions of fullbrights to monster eyes in PSXDoom. But I'd like to know how this compares to other ports in terms of accuracy?

Sorry for what happened to you, bro... We will consider it next time.
Regarding the terms of accuracy... conpare it yourself. We know what we do and what don't, what to add and what don't. There are some little errors but everything was tested with the original PSXDoom games (I have official copies for those who are wondering)... Not many bugs from older versions of PC Doom contained in the console versions weren't added.
This project was made just for fun, reaching a closer version to the original game... Not to say which mod is more accurate and what doesn't.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

SHayden wrote:Best version of console doom(s) I've played so far. Excellent work, especially with low resolution. colored lighting and menu.
But what is the best light level preset best, i'd say psx software?
Doom64 was pitch black for me :-?

Everything else absolutely rocks :rock:
Glad you like it... thank you very much :rock: :rock: :rock:
More updates coming soon :D
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

This is great! I was waiting for the longest time to get ahold of Doom 64 that's moddable. I was waiting for D64 Ex to become moddable but to no avail.

Does this require a special kind of Doom Builder to make levels?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Mav3r1ck wrote:This is great! I was waiting for the longest time to get ahold of Doom 64 that's moddable. I was waiting for D64 Ex to become moddable but to no avail.

Does this require a special kind of Doom Builder to make levels?
Mapping for it with Doom Builder X or GZDoom Builder in the ZDoom UDMF format works fine.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i still have no luck with the Doom 64 mod thing. i think it's the wad itself cause often at times i get error messages that point it towards that being the problem
hikari47

Post by hikari47 »

Does anyone know why this mod keeps giving me "BlahblahMod.pk3 mapinfo.txt line 1: statscreen: unknown top level keyword" error every time?!

EDIT: Seems like this wasn't updated for GZDoom v4.2.0...
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

hikari47 wrote:Does anyone know why this mod keeps giving me "BlahblahMod.pk3 mapinfo.txt line 1: statscreen: unknown top level keyword" error every time?!

EDIT: Seems like this wasn't updated for GZDoom v4.2.0...
You're not supposed to throw the PK3s at GZDoom. It comes with its own version which is modified at source level. If you want to play PSX Doom and Doom 64 with mods, get Kinsie's Consolation Prize version.
Solus

Post by Solus »

Hello!
I have a question: what's difference between this version and the ones on DooMWorld (PSXDooM) and ModDB (DooM 64)?
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

PSXDoom of this version is more accurate to the original, much more accurate.
bangstk

Post by bangstk »

For the next version, one thing you might consider doing is adding the PSXDOOM.PK3 / Final Doom / Doom 64 files as IWADS in gzdoom.pk3's iwad.txt file, that way you can choose which one to play just from running gzdoom.exe instead of dealing with batch files. They can even get separate config file sections in the same .ini.

The pk3s only need a handful of changes to run totally independent of DOOM2.WAD, in particular doom 64 needs a PLAYPAL lump and the border graphics. Everything else is just a couple console-only warnings about some missing menu graphics (which can just have invisible versions added)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”