Highlighted Through Walls Effect?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
TXTX

Highlighted Through Walls Effect?

Post by TXTX »

I've only seen it done a few times in a couple mods that I'm drawing blanks on right now. Anyone know the code/effect that allows you to see monsters highlighted through walls?
Grey-Wolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Highlighted Through Walls Effect?

Post by Grey-Wolf »

I'd also like to know. Following.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Hudmessageonactor

Do note that this is ACS only, not DECO.

Make sure to give a thing ID to the thing you want highlighted, either on it's actor definition: Thing_ChangeTID(0, type tid number here)

Or on the map itself.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Thanks for the help. Also know how to get an actor's current sprite through acs?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro

Post by TDRR »

TXTX wrote:Thanks for the help. Also know how to get an actor's current sprite through acs?
Sadly, you can't. But you can give each monster a different TID and based on that TID you can select a specific sprite for each monster.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

TDRR wrote:
TXTX wrote:Thanks for the help. Also know how to get an actor's current sprite through acs?
Sadly, you can't. But you can give each monster a different TID and based on that TID you can select a specific sprite for each monster.
I see, still thanks for that. It's helped a lot.
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

Guncaster has the stratocaster for the Augur, which highlights enemies behind walls if it's active, and you're zoomed in.

EDIT: The relevant actor is called AugurTarget in zscript/guns/AugurExtras.txt.

The development builds of WolfenDoom also use a RenderOverlay event handler, along with the Gutamatics library (Part of D4D) to highlight mines with the mine sweeper.

Although, in both cases, you'll have to get permission from KeksDose if you want to use the code from Guncaster, or AFADoomer if you want to use the code from WolfenDoom.
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Talon1024 wrote:Guncaster has the stratocaster for the Augur, which highlights enemies behind walls if it's active, and you're zoomed in.

EDIT: The relevant actor is called AugurTarget in zscript/guns/AugurExtras.txt.

The development builds of WolfenDoom also use a RenderOverlay event handler, along with the Gutamatics library (Part of D4D) to highlight mines with the mine sweeper.

Although, in both cases, you'll have to get permission from KeksDose if you want to use the code from Guncaster, or AFADoomer if you want to use the code from WolfenDoom.
Super late but I've gotta check this out, thanks for letting me know.

Return to “Scripting”