Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

This text definitely needs to be proofread. I don't trust it either.
WatermelonPL
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by WatermelonPL »

Is there a way to test new languages?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Dev builds should have them. I *just* updated QZDoom's dev build (mostly for Vulkan support) but it has every master commit up to the time of this post, so it might be even more recent than the current GZDoom dev build.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@dpJudas and Graf
While it definitely needs to be proof-read, Darway, Mink and Doomnobody are clearly the translators' names. Simply putting it through Google Translate is enough to confirm it:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

WatermelonPL wrote:Is there a way to test new languages?
Sure. You need to export the spreadsheets as CSV, rename them to 'language.csv' and load them with '-file'. If you want to load both rename the second to language.txt or something similar.
carlcyber

Post by carlcyber »

Thanks for the correction. Darway, Mink, Doomnobody are people's name who take the credit of the translation, and you can see the year is 2005, already long time ago. Like the people here, we are not using real names. Instead, we use catchy or English names.

For "Phobos" and "Deimos", actually it is kinda interesting in Chinese, we call it "The first satellite of Mars" and "The second satellite of Mars" in a more elegant way, "Titan" as "The sixth satellite of Saturn". So you can imagine how do we call Jovian moons.

The translators are actually doing well since they know the game itself, so they know to use proper words to describe the meanings from the insights. The translation is indeed not strict enough, but these are minor problems. And thanks for the people here, now we know how to improve this even more.
krzyk

Post by krzyk »

Hi, I've been brought here by Undead to help with Polish translation, AFAIK you have only one guy working on it, so I guess you could use additional support. I'm sending the edit requests in Google spreadsheets.
WatermelonPL
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by WatermelonPL »

Graf Zahl wrote:
WatermelonPL wrote:Is there a way to test new languages?
Sure. You need to export the spreadsheets as CSV, rename them to 'language.csv' and load them with '-file'. If you want to load both rename the second to language.txt or something similar.
Polish lang doesn't show up
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

You need to type language pl in the console. Polish, because it is not yet complete, is not listed as a language in the options menu.

By the way, I found another volunteer Polish translator. His post should appear here in a few hours, once the mods have time to approve his first post.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Undead wrote:You need to type language pl in the console. Polish, because it is not yet complete, is not listed as a language in the options menu.

By the way, I found another volunteer Polish translator. His post should appear here in a few hours, once the mods have time to approve his first post.
viewtopic.php?p=1099933#p1099933
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

You must’ve approved the post at the exact same time WatermelonPL’s post showed up. I missed it. :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No - there's a bug with phpBB where if a person sits in queue and another person makes a reply and you read it, then the post will not be unread for you. It's related to the timestamp of the last read post - it assumes that anything before a certain timestamp is already read for you, even if it was in the queue.

That's why I linked his post - mine would show up unread and would give you the opportunity to see the post you missed.
HKG MINECRAFT

Post by HKG MINECRAFT »

Hello. Cacodemon345 brought me here because I can help with the Chinese translations. So where can I get started? Is help needed?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

To give access I need a Google Mail address for unlocking the spreadsheets. If you do not have one you can download both files and send changes via PM or mail so that they can be added.
Negostrike
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Negostrike »

I just completed the Brazilian Portuguese translation of the game strings. Yes, even Strife, all dialogue lines. It's been fun though.
I'm pretty sure I avoided typos and whatever, but please don't hesitate to PM me if you know Portuguese and want to report any possible typos or if you have any suggestions.

Return to “Developer Blog”