Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: JohnnyDoom - let's fighting love

Post by Dwailing »

I now understand the reference but I don't know if that really makes it better. It just feels out of place here. Like, context is everything and it just doesn't feel right in this context. It just feels like random edginess in a mod that otherwise never really felt like it was trying to be edgy. Over-the-top and tongue in cheek, yes, but not particularly edgy. Obviously I can't make Johnny change his mod if he doesn't want to because, ultimately, it's his mod and he can do what he likes with it, but since it's a public release it's open to criticism and it seems like a few people agree with me. I only really bother to bring it up because otherwise I really love this mod and think it's brilliant and hate that there's one relatively minor thing which sours me on what's otherwise an excellent experience. I don't want to start a flame war, but I'm not going to apologize for my opinion or for starting a conversation.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Slax wrote:It's a quote, my dudes.
Spoiler:
Dwailing wrote:it's not Moonman Doom
Correct. No need for outrage.
Ding ding ding! This is exactly correct. I almost ripped Cartman’s voice and added it to when that pops up, but there’s so much shit going on it would probably get muffled. But really guys? Two pages for this??? What about the million Kenny Powers quotes in the quit messages? What about the Jeff Spicoli quote “woah those guys are fags!” spit out by the helper marine? Who cares, it’s all in jest. You all know from talking to me that I’m a good dude and don’t mean it personally. This is a forum about doom mods fellas, not twitter.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Would probably not hurt the mod to get rid of them, honestly, but given I'm not really the mod's target audience to begin with, it's probably none of my business. :shrug:
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

johnny wrote:
Slax wrote:It's a quote, my dudes.
Spoiler:
Dwailing wrote:it's not Moonman Doom
Correct. No need for outrage.
Ding ding ding! This is exactly correct. I almost ripped Cartman’s voice and added it to when that pops up, but there’s so much shit going on it would probably get muffled. But really guys? Two pages for this??? What about the million Kenny Powers quotes in the quit messages? What about the Jeff Spicoli quote “woah those guys are fags!” spit out by the helper marine? Who cares, it’s all in jest. You all know from talking to me that I’m a good dude and don’t mean it personally. This is a forum about doom mods fellas, not twitter.
IMO a lot of it was mostly in response to the shitty arguments that some people were making in defense of this. I don't think it was ever about you.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

All the controversy aside, I found a slight issue with the extra imp variants. It seems any time I dismember a dark imp, they give off normal imp limbs. Little jarring, but nothing super bad. Anywho, great mod, and easily some of the most fun I've had with a doom mod in recent memory! Keep up the good shit
johnny

Post by johnny »

Korell wrote:Something seems wrong with the Johnny Doom crosshair. When you have the GZDoom crosshair turned off (force default crosshair set to off) then the Johnny Doom crosshair shows up for the weapons - each weapon having a slightly different crosshair design. However, when you then change the crosshair scaling the crosshair moves down the screen as it gets bigger and up the screen as it gets smaller, so it doesn't really reflect where you are targetting at all. In fact, when it is at the maximum size it appears over the top of the weapon. It seems to be at its smallest and highest at a scaling value of 0.05, as when you go that addition step to a scaling value of 0 it gets slightly larger and slightly lower (very similar to the size and position of a value of 0.2).
Ya know what, now I remember that I messed with the crosshair height when I was changing the zviewheight for the player waaaay back in the day. I know for sure I moved it down for the rocket launcher because I was accidentally shooting windows and killing myself. I'll fix this. Is there a certain set of offsets all the crosshairs need to be? If I 0,0 them all do they center themselves? I feel like crosshair scaling as a feature period would break any custom ones. I'll fiddle with it.
Whoah wrote:All the controversy aside, I found a slight issue with the extra imp variants. It seems any time I dismember a dark imp, they give off normal imp limbs. Little jarring, but nothing super bad. Anywho, great mod, and easily some of the most fun I've had with a doom mod in recent memory! Keep up the good shit
Appreciate it man, glad you're having fun!! Did you download the update from a few days ago? I think I fixed this. I had them as inheriting from the new imp class instead of being their own monster, which was wrong. Is it still happening?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I'll have to check in a moment, as I've turned off the extra enemy variants. I also noticed that the grenade boxes don't have a sprite. At least I'm pretty sure. I just know there have been times where I'm blasting my way through a bunch of demons, and I randomly get 10 grenades from a box. I'll tell you if I notice anything else, and if the imp issue has persisted when I return to my computer!

Edit: Fatalities seem to jerk my camera up so I'm looking directly down on the animation as it plays. Not too bad, since I can just quickly look back down, but still a teensy bit inconvenient

Edit 2: This may be intentional, but I seem to just respawn at the beginning of the level when I die, even when I'm not playing on Metal Slug X difficulty

Edit 3: Nevermind, the grenade box does have a sprite, it's just tiny. But the pinky variants are spawning standard pinky arms upon dismemberment, and Hell Knight heads phase in and out of reality after being forcefully detached from their bodies. Cyber Hell Knights also seem to be unaffected by explosive headshots

Guess what? Edit 4: Hell Noble deaths across the board are kinda buggy. Corpses and gibs seem to just kinda disappear pretty often
Last edited by Whoah on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

johnny wrote:Ya know what, now I remember that I messed with the crosshair height when I was changing the zviewheight for the player waaaay back in the day. I know for sure I moved it down for the rocket launcher because I was accidentally shooting windows and killing myself. I'll fix this. Is there a certain set of offsets all the crosshairs need to be? If I 0,0 them all do they center themselves? I feel like crosshair scaling as a feature period would break any custom ones. I'll fiddle with it.
I don't know if there are certain offsets for the crosshairs. I do know that the GZDoom crosshairs are slightly higher than the actual hit area when you target very close walls/objects, but as they get further away they seem more accurate, and this has been queried on the forums before, but a reason for it was given. But yes, for each weapon the relevant Johnny Doom crosshair shows up, but it just changes vertical position depending on the crosshair scaling value that you have set.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Korell wrote:I don't know if there are certain offsets for the crosshairs. I do know that the GZDoom crosshairs are slightly higher than the actual hit area when you target very close walls/objects, but as they get further away they seem more accurate, and this has been queried on the forums before, but a reason for it was given.
The problem is that the crosshairs sit in the middle of the view, but where the attacks originate from is lower. You can adjust the height of player attacks with custom player classes and the Player.AttackZOffset property. This means that you can get the attacks and crosshairs to match, but it does mean that attacks come from higher up, which may not be desirable in all mods.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

I have a problem with any map with water or such, every time I get to map 02 of doom 2, or e1m1, I get EXTREME lag.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Yeah, last update messed up a bunch of stuff. More slowdowns here and there. Pretty sure the title map's missing audio too. (Or maybe not? The white flag flash...)
Easy to catch the new problems with just a quick Doom 2 run.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Are you dudes using the vintage version of gzdoom? Everything works perfectly smooth for me with the latest svn of the vintage version. The title screen is only broken if you’re trying to play it in the modern/4.0.
thedeathrunner123

oh! thanks, I've been using 3.7.2 as well as a devbuild 3.8 pre
thedeathrunner123

still getting slowdowns on gzdoom-x86-g3.8vpre46-338-gba9cc1b9a vintage, but it is playable now
Korell

Post by Korell »

johnny wrote:The title screen is only broken if you’re trying to play it in the modern/4.0.
What's broken with it? It plays fine for me and I'm using 4.0.0 (x64).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”