[WIP] NULL: Face to Face (14/4 3-map WIP available)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
insightguy

Re: [WIP] NULL: Face to Face

Post by insightguy »

Kinsie wrote:Image
"Think they got the point?"/s

"Hmm... nah let's add a few more signs just to drive the point across."

"But we already covered the door!"

"Then just stick some post-its, get some tape and paper, hell, scratch the door! We really want people to not go in here."

"But wouldn't that just tempt people TO open the door?"

"...Just do your job."

(It would be even funnier if opening it, instakilled the player. Shmuckbait everyone.)
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Looks promising, as always Kinsie, keep up the good work.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

So... Is this all your original graphics?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

For the most part, I think the're at least edited.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

It's been a little while, hasn't it? This is mostly due to a horrible combination of mapper's block, IRL junk and other generally awful states of demotivation. I've been slowly but surely climbing back on the horse, though.

Here's a brief tease of what I've been tooling with lately.

Hopefully it won't be another year between updates...
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Nice, good to see this project still alive.
Also, are those sand textures in the first screenshot?
That area makes me curious about its location.
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

OOO~ This looks real promising, Can't wait!
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Download 3-map WIP (~18mb)

Real-life has meant that I keep dragging my feet on even touching this for long periods of time, and recent events mean that I probably won't touch this again for another long period. At this point, it's probably best to just accept that this project is haunted and that I should just tie off the ends and kick out what I have so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

So, here you go. Three maps of mild novelty, easily put to shame by the average Boom megawad. Hope you like it.
TheAdamantArchvile

Re: [WIP] NULL: Face to Face (14/4 3-map WIP available)

Post by TheAdamantArchvile »

Spoiler:
Yeah, i'm enjoying this. I see the Marathon influence here and frankly, I'd like to see more of this mod.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

TheAdamantArchvile wrote:I'd like to see more of this mod.
Thanks for the kind words, but this probably ain't happening unless some tiny miracle occurs.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I'm probably an optimist, but I'm pretty sure more than one person's played this.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the whole "perfectly content and satisfied and can't think of anything to say" thing that people fed me with MetaDoom, but I can't improve things or take anything into account for future projects (or really, want to do future projects) without feedback to act on.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Sorry about that. I was wondering why the automap only keeps track of secrets. Would I be cheating and/or spoiling the wad's inner workings if I used an addon like LevelInfo to show kills and items?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

SiFi270 wrote:I was wondering why the automap only keeps track of secrets.
I hid the monster counts when I was modifying the Automap HUD since they probably wouldn't be accurate (since monsters are sometimes spawned in via ACS). And since there's no intermissions, there didn't really seem like much of a point to tracking anything other than secrets.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Another thing I almost forgot: I think the machine gun secret in the first map should have a different reward, because you encounter machine gun zombies almost immediately afterward anyway.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just played this and I really, really like it. It's exactly the kind of mood, setting and general setup that I like.

The level layouts were navigable but complex enough to be interesting. The texturing, lighting and sci-fi tech nature of the place really worked well.

The new AI (enemies and NPCs) are great. I loved all of them (even those annoying teleporting creatures). The human NPCs, in particular, were fantastic I thought.

The sound scape and the music were really good.

I loved the interactivity of the world: the computer terminals, the NPCs and the fact that almost everything could be smashed. Even the switches seemed more interactive than normal (i.e. using them to unlock doors and so on just seemed a bit more "real" for some reason - not really sure why).

The story was good and I want to know more. :D

Things that I was less keen on.

The use of Doom enemies, particularly the bigger ones (and really in particular, Hell Knights for some reason). I'm not sure exactly why but they just bothered me. I think it's because everything else just feels so new or tweaked and then to come around the corner to find the tried, tested and very, very familiar Hell Knight standing there... well, it just felt out of place. It sort of ripped me out of the immersion in the mod. The arachnotrons didn't seem quite so bad (though a mod-specific version would be even nicer) and even familiar enemies from other games (like the Heretic-Imp-alikes) were fine, but others really jarred for some reason. I also felt that their placement tended to be a bit jarring too. There are lots of relatively easy to put down enemies wandering around with big bruisers apparently just thrown in there because "this room needs to be tougher". It sounds like I'm really ragging on this - I'm not (generally, I really like Hell Knights as a good medium tier enemy), but it was the biggest downside to the feel and playability of the mod IMO.

The machine gun felt a bit weak to me. It doesn't seem to do much damage per bullet and requires reloading fairly frequently. As a result, I found it annoying to use on bigger enemies and tended to switch away from it in favour of the shotgun.

Hiding the monster and item count on the automap. I hear what you are saying about your reasoning there but, IMO, you are essentially messing with a player setting by removing them. Regardless of their accuracy, spawning in etc, I like to see those stats when I go to the map screen.

Suggestions:
Make computer terminal messages widescreen friendly. (Perhaps just add a bit more black to the sides of the images?) At 1920x1200, the game is visible beyond the edges of the terminal messages.

Make things even more destructible. With so many items being shootable, it feels odd not to be able to destroy computer panels etc on the walls (i.e. Strife-style).

Reward people with a really destructive nature. I spent ages destroying every single test tube rack in the store room. No reward! :twisted:

Find something more game and story appropriate to replace overly familiar Doom monsters such as the Hell Knight. This mod sets it's own mood and the stock Doom monsters detract from that (to a greater or lesser extent) IMO.

Better use of reverb environments. Some nice creepy reverby environments would work really well in this mod (see scalliano's Threshold Of Pain Act 2).

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”