GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Danfun64

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Post by Danfun64 »

Caligari87 wrote:If you really really really really need 320x200 resolution, that can be achieved with a post-processing shader mod. In fact I believe there's one or two such mods on the forums already.

Retro FX with dither
Retroshader

8-)
How does this work exactly? I take it that it doesn't scale EVERYTHING like GZDoom's "Resolution Scale" feature does, or how Chocolate/Crispy Doom do things.
ReFracture
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ReFracture »

Timing is funny.. I just setup the previous release on linux about a day or two before this release.

4.0 is running fantastic on Slackware Linux-current kernel 4.19.34, geforce gtx 980 ti.

I do have a midi related issue but I'll post that in the tech forum after I've gathered enough data to give you something to work with.

Thanks guys!
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

Ditching 320x200 and other low resolutions would sort of make sense if GZDoom only used a hardware renderer. But since there are multiple software renderers built in, it seems a questionable decision to make in order to support a bland, characterless font that no one was asking for.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Urthur wrote:bland, characterless font that no one was asking for.
You sure about that? It was absolutely necessary to fit some of the strings included in newer languages. Also makes a lot more sense, since it separates what’s unique to GZDoom and what’s part of the original games.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I get that its a technical necessity but I can't really dispute the "bland, characterless" part of that. oh well

ed: i say technical necessity but there's no technical reason the font needs to be bland and characterless. once menu font editing's allowed again, maybe this will be improved.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

InsanityBringer wrote:I get that its a technical necessity but I can't really dispute the "bland, characterless" part of that. oh well

ed: i say technical necessity but there's no technical reason the font needs to be bland and characterless. once menu font editing's allowed again, maybe this will be improved.
Not really a technical reason, per se, but the biggest barrier (and the biggest reason the "bland" font is being used) is because it was what could be found with clear usage rights and already had a lot of the unicode characters in it (a huuuuuuuge undertaking for anybody that wants to volunteer to draft up a replacement). I mean, as a matter of personal taste, I love this font, as it's much more readable than the Doom one used to be, and I'm a self-admitted geek for the IBM ASCII look to begin with.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

ah, alright. licensing is a pretty understandable reason. I do like the VGA font (I usually played Dwarf Fortress with a tileset that replaces the normal font with the VGA font, heh), but I do feel it's a bit odd in the menus here.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Purely out of interest, how many characters are there in this particular font? My googling tells me that unicode defines over 135 000 individual characters, but also that true type fonts (which i know this isn't) has a limit of around 65 000. Presumably there are also thousands of characters in the GZDoom one?

As I've said before, I really like the functionality of the new font. It is much clearer and the menus are much more readable and functional with it. To me, that means it wins versus the old one. I do agree that it's not the prettiest (something similar but sans serif would be perfect IMO) but I also fully understand and accept the difficulties of getting an alternative.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It supports all printable code points of the Basic Multilingual Plane. I decided not to add the available parts beyond that because they have little use for practical purposes.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl wrote:I decided not to add the available parts beyond that because they have little use for practical purposes.
Alas, there goes my project to translate Doom to Linear B. :P
CoTeCiO

Post by CoTeCiO »

Is it me or the screen wipe option is completely missing? The console command still exists and work, but I can't seem to find it on the menu.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

CoTeCiO wrote:Is it me or the screen wipe option is completely missing? The console command still exists and work, but I can't seem to find it on the menu.
This is a known issue and has already been fixed - simply an oversight with the menu organization.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

v4.0.1 hotfix when? D:
Or an ETA at least :D
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

When it's done!
Crackers0106
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Crackers0106 »

Does this fix the bug with AMD users where sprites don't appear and are invisible?

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”