GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kostov

Re: GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Post by Kostov »

I tried out the master branch for myself. While the new font looks quite blocky and artificial, it’s a lot cleaner than the one we had before—and the reduced hassle of maintaining all ~12,000 Korean symbols is nothing we’ll have to worry about anymore.

This port’s making more and more progress every day. I wonder what kinds of people around the world it will attract in the future?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Undead wrote:I tried out the master branch for myself. While the new font looks quite blocky and artificial
You can't have everything, considering the number of CJK characters and the amount of data they need. This font was made to be readable at a small size, after all and having something nicer would explode the binary size quite severely.

BTW, do you know where I can contact the people who make the Japanese translation?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:BTW, do you know where I can contact the people who make the Japanese translation?
I don't think they float around here too much due to the language barrier. I posted a link to your post in a private Discord that a couple of the folks involved hang out in, hopefully they'll either get in touch or tell me a way to do so.

I think Negrostrike did some work on the JP stuff as well? They might be able to help bridge the gap.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Chex Quest 3’s episode names currently remain in English only.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have blocked graphics lump substitution until now because the font was not complete. It'll be enabled when the texts get included.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I added all missing Latin stuff to Doom's SmallFont. It should now contain everything needed for the WIP languages plus everything Western European.
In case someone really does the Baltic or some of the other Eastern European languages, there's 13 characters more that would be needed but I do not really expect these languages to get a translation.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

At this point, I’ve done all that’s needed for all complete languages. Xaser’s doing the Hacx smallfont, and we could contact Thomas van der Velden, the creator of Harmony, to see if he’d be willing to do the same for his game. In the meantime, something’s missing in the difficulty menu—I’d be glad to do the Nightmare font!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. That'd be too much of a hassle. I have no interest in adding another font just for that one line of text.

If you want to do further font work, that'd better be invested in Eastern European letters for the fonts that do not have them yet. So far I only managed the Doom/Chex SmallFont.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Sure. I’ll contribute what I can, since I have a few Polish glyphs laying around for an old translation that I can compare with the new ones. Out of the new languages we have, Finnish is already covered. Czech will certainly be a bit of a challenge, but it won’t be a big problem.

Just curious, though, is it not worth it from a coding perspective or from an asset perspective? Because Eriance already covered the entire Doom BIGFONT in the Nightmare style a while back.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's not worth it from a maintenance perspective. Since the font needs to be coded into the menu definition it'd mean that any modder replacing the menu font would have to replace two fonts instead of one. It'd also add quite a bit of volume to the zd_extra.pk3 file.

Regarding the font work I did, it was just adding the existing accents onto other characters. The only one I had real problems with was the Danish Ø which doesn't look that great due to lack of working space.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

My idea was to only add glyphs that are in use by the respective Nightmare strings for all languages, and not all possible characters already used by the BigFont (that’s way too much work for something that’s not likely to be reused in a lot of mods). While its usability will be decreased this way, it’s just a nice detail from the original game, and it’d be a shame to lose it.

Just did the math, and it comes down to 32 symbols. The size of one .lmp glyph is about 250–300 bytes, give or take. 300 × 32 = 9,600 B = 9,6 kB, which would make the zd_extra.pk3 file larger by a little more than 1%.

The choice is yours, of course, but it doesn’t seem like much of a drag to me, at least from a size perspective. In any case, I’ll get to work on the Eastern European fonts now.
Last edited by Kostov on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You are not thinking this through. What if someone keeps the menu as it is, but decides to rename "Nightmare!" to "Slaughterfest!"? Your neat assumption will just fall apart then.
If the font is provided it needs to be complete and then it's a lot more than 32 glyphs.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

To me, what you’d have to do at that point would be either:
  • add a check that reverts the difficulty level font back to the normal one if a mod changes it

or
  • use complete lumps like in DOOM.WAD that get replaced by the current text system if the text is replaced (thereby not adding a new font at all)
:shrug:

But I see what kind of lengths you’d have to go to in order to make this fully functional, so I’ll drop the subject. Also, I just finished the Czech bigfont for Doom.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Just checked out the Korean translation in the engine itself. Nice! The only problem I spotted is the lack of any BIGFONT in the option menus.

Though, is it possible we could reuse the manually done letters from the Korean translation topic (which only support the characters used in the menus and not the entire Hangul Syllables codepage), and remedy the lack of codepage support by substituting the BIGFONT with the VGA font if any change in the language strings is detected?

Return to “General”