Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Hege Cactus

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97 fix fix

Post by Hege Cactus »

bowserknight wrote:
Hege Cactus wrote:
- nerfed the earthquake effect damage a bit
what do you mean with that, a general nerf to every monster that has an earthquake attack, or just for 1 specific monster?
The general effect of it, so it effects those that use it like redcybie and juggernaut

@ 2.8.1 stuff:
I havent gotten around to it too much and I recall someone offered to do this for me at some point
tho idk if they have the time for it either
At least the zombieman does, he looks diagonal...almost like he's from a different game. Kind of breaking my immersion.
Ive been trying to find a fitting sprite for him so in the meantime he looks a bit like that cause I kinda want him to be more... slender

Although for some reason the trashcan enemy loves to trash my game (pun was intended and I am not joking. It is crashing my games quite commonly which is odd)
Can you give me more info on this? I havent been able to recreate this yet
Mastermind feels perfect now, but for some reason, everytime it summons the orange Arachnotrons, my game freezes after ~1-2 seconds. Music still runs but the whole game doesn't react anymore. Really weird.
Ive confirmed that this happens and Im trying to fix it, it kinda popped up as surprise issue
Black Arachnotron doesn't feel much different.
He wasnt changed, blackmastermind was, was bit unclear on that
Undertaker's bouncing bone tornadoes seem to stay forever, even after he's ded.
Ill take a looksie into this aswell, I have a hunch what might be the cause

Edit: releasing a hotfix for the yellowmind issue
Apteral10

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.97b fix fix hotfix

Post by Apteral10 »

Well... One of the causes was the monster appearing right above me and game crashed then... Rest are a mystery even to me as I couldn't even come up with explanations to those crashes.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

With the loot under control there's really only one more thing this mod desperately needs. Projectile awareness. Allow me to explain.

When you're playing doom you can be surrounded by enemies and clearly make out all the different projectiles coming at you. With this mod you'll find yourself constantly getting hit with shit you can't see. The abyss guys are the worst in this regard.

I was playing yesterday and in a room full of guys I hid behind a corner. I was at full health and started getting pelted but I couldn't see what by. I died very quickly to what the obituary told me was an abyss fatso. I can only assume the projectiles were dark and either bounced off the wall or exploded, there's no way of knowing.

I feel that this is the mod's achilles heel and what ultimately keeps it out of my regular mod list.

If you could address this it would go a long way. Perhaps a white outline on what would otherwise be hard to notice. This mod is also missing GLdefs entirely which would help as well. I don't envy having to add definitions to what amounts to about 100 different objects.

edit: Having thought more on this I do believe that disabling the abyss monsters would go a long way. One more thing that stands out is the amount of seeking projectiles in this mod. It seems like half the monsters have some sort of seeking ability. That would explain why I get hit so much more when using this.
Last edited by Rowsol on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

While I agree projectiles should be ideally visible (unless the enemy is designed to be a stealth class or ambush class), you can just turn off abyss monsters in the meantime. The other monsters have visible projectiles. Currently you can turn off abyss, gray and fireblu monsters, each individually, if you want. I think you can turn off the bosses as well, but I'm not sure.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

I started a playthrough with the older version of CH and I gotta report, those gray enemies that summon rocks on top of you are batshit insane overpowered. I have 50% plasma and fire resistance in DRLA and the gray archvile and cyber still oneshot me from 200 hp. Absolutely ridiculous!
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

for everyone who has played my test map for this mod, out of curiousity:

Should I include the optional monsters (abyss, gray, fireblu, cyan) in the showcase and test areas? Since you can turn them off, it might cause some issues. But if anybody wants some of that I can try it.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Wait what?
Jitterskull (or White Skull) is here?? really??
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

Could there be an option to turn off the stupid nests? They can be really hard to see on some maps.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I've been making sure most of the projectile should be visible, tho I am guessing the abyss theme of being darker in colour makes them harder to see with their translation even if they are full bright
I will look into making some sort of new effect for abyssal shots in general that should give them more visibility and alert for the fact they are from abyss enemies making dodging them lot more easier to prioritize

For the homing part, I admit that a lot of specially the older enemies are very guilty of this, this is something I will also look into for sake of making things bit more fair, specially for the lower tier enemies.
Heck, some of the older enemies are also otherwise bit messed up but just havent gotten fix cause of people getting used to them, such as yellow revenant's weird flame moves and his no clip shenanigans, purple mancubi's bouncy balls of fire and blue baron's great balls
Could there be an option to turn off the stupid nests? They can be really hard to see on some maps.
If you want to disable specific enemies only, make a custom spread with this add on:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62575
This add on really deserves more attention than it gets cause it works like a charm
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Hege Cactus wrote:
If you want to disable specific enemies only, make a custom spread with this add on:
This add on really deserves more attention than it gets cause it works like a charm
It's been updated to work with Colorful Hell 97b?
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Hege Cactus wrote: For the homing part, I admit that a lot of specially the older enemies are very guilty of this, this is something I will also look into for sake of making things bit more fair, specially for the lower tier enemies.
Heck, some of the older enemies are also otherwise bit messed up but just havent gotten fix cause of people getting used to them, such as yellow revenant's weird flame moves and his no clip shenanigans, purple mancubi's bouncy balls of fire and blue baron's great balls
No mention of gray rock spawning enemies? :( Also, please don't change the yellow revenant. The fact that he's really weird, has lost souls and can clip through walls and weird attack patterns give him that...je ne sais quois for me that makes him really special, cool and bizzare. If you altered him I'd end up missing him D:
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

Hege Cactus wrote:
Thank you!
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

My OGG sound pack for Colourful Hell has been updated, to take the recent updates into account, in the hopes that Hege Cactus will incorporate this into future revisions. Managed to shave ~10MB off of the total mod size by doing this.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j3cc5tvpv ... G.pk3/file
hornbuckle0wns

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

I stopped playing doom, and so this mod, for about 2 months while I got busy, and came back and had a total blast! I love running through leaving a rainbow of corpses behind me, amazing feeling. I especially love the cyan enemies the most, having the quirk and complexity and intrigue of boss level enemies in a normal health and damage pool. Feel like you might wanna take the unique charm they have to some of the other enemies that are a touch lackluster, but amazing, mind blowing mod, as usual! Also, I think I mustve found an easter egg, because while I was starting a UV run of hell revealed with trailblazer packed onto this, I think it happened because I killed one of the cyans, what looks like a little touhou doll popped out! Interesting little easter egg, played a slaughtermap megawad before this one, so might be a chance I already encountered it and just didnt see it. Anyways, thank you so much hege, always happy to see this thing get updated.
EDIT: turns out I found another one next level lol, guess they arent that rare
a.dusty.taco

Post by a.dusty.taco »

I noticed something with Red Archvile (Boss) and Red hellknight… They seem to stop like they are frozen but aren't.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”