GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

Re: GZDoom 4.0.0 Released

Post by Nash »

I think what would satisfy these chunky graphic enthusiasts is some kind of menu scaling with nearest neighbour. Render the graphics to some buffer before scaling them, fonts included. Readability be damned, just give them those huge blocky pixels. :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

An additional scaling option for the 3D view only is already being worked on, but I am being plagued by distractions and real life. I doubt it'll be ready at a reasonable time, but it's already on the table and it's being worked on.

I refuse to replace the current scaling system as-is with this new feature. I like it too much and part of the reason for me doing the 3D view scaling myself is actually to prevent it from being removed.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:I think what would satisfy these chunky graphic enthusiasts is some kind of menu scaling with nearest neighbour. Render the graphics to some buffer before scaling them, fonts included. Readability be damned, just give them those huge blocky pixels. :P
I already tried that, the text was not only unreadable but reduced to a mess of pixels. At some point the effort to keep something operational stands in no relation to the result. And it doesn't matter one bit if some people think it's the most important feature out there. Whatever might be done here, it has to be maintained and the limitations it imposes will have to be considered for all future work.

Why do you think that so many software updates are dropping old things that have lost their importance?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Graf Zahl wrote:Notice: There is currently no Vintage version planned for this release.
Well, that sucks, but will the GL 2.0 requirement stay for software mode? And why was D3D removed from the options?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Mac build available.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

TDRR wrote:Well, that sucks, but will the GL 2.0 requirement stay for software mode? And why was D3D removed from the options?
D3D was removed to help simplify the rendering backends. D3D was only ever used on one OS and even there only as a rendering target for the software drawer. Using OpenGL exclusively for both hardware rendering and as the render target of the software drawer allowed cleaning up a lot of messy code, enabled the ability for quick and easy switching between software and hardware renderers, and provided more feature parity across OSs (non-Windows users now have a true-color HUD with software drawing, and post-process effects, for example).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

TDRR wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Notice: There is currently no Vintage version planned for this release.
Well, that sucks, but will the GL 2.0 requirement stay for software mode? And why was D3D removed from the options?

It all depends on whether drfrag manages to get a working code base together. So far this hasn't happened so there's no vintage build for now. I'll make no guarantees here.
boris

Post by boris »

The new menu font is great, much more readable than the old one.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Graf Zahl wrote:It all depends on whether drfrag manages to get a working code base together. So far this hasn't happened so there's no vintage build for now. I'll make no guarantees here.
Ah, so now drfrag is the guy responsible for the legacy build? Or you mean as in a new version of LZDoom? In either case, i hope he succeeds. It really sucks to use software mode in this laptop because it's slow, but i can't run GZD 4.0 in my desktop PC because of the GL3 requirement.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I plan to release a 3.8.0 or 3.8.1 vintage build very soon. I'm working on it.
And then LZDoom 3.8x or something.
I was resposible from the start but Graf started it.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Rachael wrote:An additional scaling option for the 3D view only is already being worked on, but I am being plagued by distractions and real life. I doubt it'll be ready at a reasonable time, but it's already on the table and it's being worked on.
That's really good to hear, and I very much appreciate that.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

drfrag wrote:I plan to release a 3.8.0 or 3.8.1 vintage build very soon. I'm working on it.
That'll be appreciated by me at least. Whereabouts will such releases be announced? Here, on the main page, or some sub-forum?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It will be on the news forum. It'll appear on the front page.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Not sure where to report bugs, but whatever:

The colormap property is broken.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:Not sure where to report bugs
Maybe in Bugs subforum?
A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:The colormap property is broken.
Like this?

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”