revenant rocket behavior

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
cccp_leha

revenant rocket behavior

Post by cccp_leha »

Is it normal bahavior for a pair of those puppies to go on an endless eliptical path? I have a savegame if questions arise.
Zell

Post by Zell »

ummm sorry..whats in an elliptical path? You mean in circles? I think it depends on the difficulty.
skill 1-they dont follow you
skill 2-follow slighty but will go in circles(what you are talking about)
skill 3-dead on "heat" :P seeking
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Um, this is what I mean, pt. A -> pt. B -> pt. A forever.
Zell

Post by Zell »

ok. Thats what I thought :D Anyway, it never really happens to me, of course I have never really *tried* d2 on hard...just easy :P (I actualyl started with plutonia..gave me nightmares :P )

What i mean is that I never tried the harder modes, so what modes do you expercience this on? easy? hard? medium? if all it might be some faulty code.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, this can happen. I've seen it quite a lot. One of the best I saw, quite some time ago, a revenant had fired at another enemy, but I killed the enemy before the rocket hit. It just so happened that this fight was in a wide open area, so the rocket just kept circling over the dead enemy, even if I walked away and left it, then came back later.

I've also managed to find a safe spot inside the rockets trajectory and been able to watch it circle harmlessly round me a number of times.

I didn't know there were different homing behaviours for the different skill settings.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I've had this happen to me several times. It seems to occur when there are alot of tiny subsectors between you and the reverent in question. But the height difference is major. If the reverent would shot 2 targeting fireballs right at the same time I'd get killed by a non-reverent monster. I'd respawn after I die, go back to the area to see 2 fire-balls orbiting my dead body. Or so it would seem.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Zell wrote:ummm sorry..whats in an elliptical path? You mean in circles? I think it depends on the difficulty.
skill 1-they dont follow you
skill 2-follow slighty but will go in circles(what you are talking about)
skill 3-dead on "heat" :P seeking
This is false. I just tried on the easiest skill setting and the first two rockets fired at me tracked just as relentlessly as usual.
Zell

Post by Zell »

I said I think :P
Anyway, they normally don't follow me all that well unless im playing on medium diffcutly. I guess its just me :P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There is absolutely no skill difference in the homing code. It must be you! ;)
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

/me points at Custom Title.
I never had such occurences though. Anyway, for more Revenant fun, go to Ebola's map 32 and time your average life expectancy out of 10 games :P

Also Google says:
http://www.rubendevela.com/pictures/jun ... venant.jpg
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Zell wrote:I said I think :P
Anyway, they normally don't follow me all that well unless im playing on medium diffcutly. I guess its just me :P
Or at least your perception of what is going on. Whether they home or not is randomised, so maybe you're just lucky.

And seeing as how we are linking to revenant pictures, here's the Doom3 one. I know there are better pics, I just found this one quickly:

http://www.ghosttown.de/albums/album05/reveant.jpg
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Ebola MAP32 is exactly where I had this happen. Lol, at lower difficulty settings they follow you *slower*. :)
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

At least ZDoom handles them better. In ZDoom if one is following you and you die, it goes of straight. In Legacy they'll continue to circle your corpse, which you can imagine is bad in coop in wide open areas with revenants (TNT MAP32).

Return to “General”