Doom with Sprinkles [1.1]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MrJohnny

Doom with Sprinkles [1.1]

Post by MrJohnny »

I love Doom. I love it just like it is. But I also love fancy particles flying everywhere. So, why not have both?

Description
Doom with sprinkles is an enhancement mod that aims to make Doom look pretty without looking like a mess. This is a mod specifically tailored to a vanilla experience, both mechanically and visually. Gameplay is almost completely untouched, and most resources used are modified stock Doom assets. No high resolution images, no palette-clashing sprites, no significant changes - just Doom. Just Doom with some goodies thrown in the mix (some of which are even optional). Enjoy elaborate special effects like shell casings, smoke, pretty explosions, and more subtle effects like seductive candles, destructible decorations, brightmaps, and a slew of other things!

Notice
Although this mod is currently in a complete and playable state, all material is subject to change as future updates are added. Don't be surprised if an entire effect is scrapped/replaced somewhere down the line. I'm still not completely satisfied with how it looks, but I need a break. A long one. So don't expect any major updates anytime soon either.

Credit
All resources are categorized into wad files within the pk3. Each wad file contains its own credit lump(s) with respect to the contents contained in the wad file. if you wish to use any resources, please give credit where credit is due. If there are any discrepancies in the credits list, please send me a PM as soon as possible to resolve the issue.
Spoiler: Special Thanks
Spoiler: Known Bugs
SINGLE PLAYER ONLY!
- This mod was designed for a single player experience. If used in multiplayer, some of the effects may break.

FOR AN IDEAL EXPERIENCE:
- Navigate to options > set video mode > set the "render mode" to "opengl-accelerated."
- Navigate to options > display options > dynamic light options and enable everything except for light shadowmaps.
- Navigate to options > display options > opengl renderer > set the "fuzz style" to "noise," set "multisample" to "32x," and disable "enhanced night vision mode" (it looks ugly imho).
- If your game is very pixelated, retro shader is enabled in the mod options menu. You can either disable it or configure it to your liking (I use a pixel count of 3.45).
- If you have retro shader is enabled, navigate to options > display options > opengl renderer > texture options > and set the "texture filter mode" to "none."
- Please don't use high quality resize mode. It just looks plain bad. But hey, I can't stop you.

Download
Note: This mod contains custom brightmaps (the glowy bits on sprites and textures), which means that if you're running a wad that adds custom monsters or uses custom textures, they may not have their own brightmaps. If you would rather not have your game only partially brightmapped, then I have provided a version without brightmaps.
Spoiler: Changelog (1.0 > 1.1)
Last edited by MrJohnny on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
BROS_ETT_311

Re: Doom with Sprinkles [1.0]

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Just tried giving this a spin. Can't seem to switch weapons with sway enabled, plus I noticed there's a bug when selecting fists. Other than that this is a pretty sweet visual enhancement mod, I like what you're going for!

*Edit: turns out the fist bug is from the ready state referencing the wrong frame.

Ready:
TNT1 A 1 A_WeaponReady;
Loop;

Instead...

Ready:
PKFS A 1 A_WeaponReady;
Loop; :thumb:

**Edit: figured out the weapon sway issue

Try this...

// horizontal sway
double xinput = plr.GetPlayerInput(INPUT_YAW) * (bInverse ? 1 : -1);
xinput = SWAY_SENSITIVITY_X * xinput / 32767.0;
xofs += xinput;
/*
// vertical offset
double ypitch = -plr.pitch; //<---------------------------------------------- This ought to take care of removing swaying on the Y axis
ypitch = SWAY_SENSITIVITY_Y * ypitch / 90.0;
*/
// find states
State selectState = wep.GetUpState(),
deselectState = wep.GetDownState(),
readyState = wep.FindState('Ready'),
fireState = wep.FindState('Fire'),
altFireState = wep.FindState('AltFire'),
zoomState = wep.FindState('Zoom'),
reloadState = wep.FindState('Reload');

// abort if any of the core states are invalid
if (!selectState || !deselectState || !readyState || !fireState)
{
//Console.Printf("FATAL ERROR! One or more required weapon states not found");
return;
}

cv = CVar.GetCVar("cl_weaponsway", plr.player);

bool bCanSway = (
cv && cv.GetBool() == true
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, selectState)
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, deselectState)
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, fireState)
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, altFireState) //<------------------------------- I'd leave this section untouched with these "//"
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, zoomState)
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, reloadState)
);

// offset the sprite
if (psp && bCanSway)
{
cv = CVar.GetCVar("cl_weaponsway_vertical", plr.player);
bool bVerticalSway = (cv && cv.GetBool() == true);

psp.x = (abs(xofs) < SWAY_MAX_X ? xofs : clamp(xofs, -SWAY_MAX_X, SWAY_MAX_X));
/*
if (bVerticalSway)
{
psp.y = ypitch + 32;

// add jump velocity to Y //<---------------------------------------------- This was commented out since this function is no longer enabled
psp.y += (plr.Vel.Z * 2);
psp.y = clamp(psp.y, SWAY_MIN_Y, SWAY_MAX_Y);
}*/
}

***This should disable vertical weapon sway while still allowing weapons to be switched. I assume that's why the option to disable the Y axis was left out from your menu options.***
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I really like the subtle improvements to the effects in this one. Not too flashy but not too boring either. Great job.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:turns out the fist bug is from the ready state referencing the wrong frame.
Oops, I forgot to fix that before uploading. This was used for testing purposes. I'll upload a fix ASAP.
BROS_ETT_311 wrote:Can't seem to switch weapons with sway enabled, plus I noticed there's a bug when selecting fists.
It's working just fine for me. You can't switch weapons, like... at all?
BROS_ETT_311 wrote:***This should disable vertical weapon sway while still allowing weapons to be switched. I assume that's why the option to disable the Y axis was left out from your menu options.***
I meant for vertical sway to be disabled from the start, but I guess I just commented out the option and forgot to actually disable it to avoid weird stuff like this. Thanks!
BROS_ETT_311 wrote: && !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, altFireState) //<------------------------------- I'd leave this section untouched with these "//"
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, zoomState)
&& !InStateSequence(psp.CurState, reloadState)
);

I actually did that to prevent the weapon offsets from resetting whenever those states are entered. I can't figure out how to do this otherwise.

EDIT: just uploaded a fix that hopefully solves these issues. Not sure what to do about the weapon switching thing since I have never encountered it.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Pompous Seed wrote:just uploaded a fix that hopefully solves these issues. Not sure what to do about the weapon switching thing since I have never encountered it.
Sweet! Nice work rolling out the fix. I can't be too sure what caused the switching issue myself, but I think it had to do with "SWAY_SENSITIVITY_Y" being referenced. It legitimately stopped any kind of weapon switching with vertical sway enabled, which has been an issue from the days of it being an ACS module, though its most recent Zscript incarnation resolves this somehow.
Tango

Post by Tango »

this is fantastic; can't understate how incredibly polished this feels. are we permitted to use some of the resources/code that you custom-made for this with credit?
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Absolutely!
Tango

Post by Tango »

fantastic, you are an angel. thanks so much :D this is really stellar work!
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

This is a really nice mod. Everything feels so..... smooth. :)
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This is fantastic!
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

jimbob wrote:This is a really nice mod. Everything feels so..... smooth. :)
Thanks, I really put a lot of effort into making everything look and feel seamless/polished, so it's comforting to know that I accomplished that.
PRIMEVAL wrote:This is fantastic!
awww u
[HotPocket]

Post by [HotPocket] »

This is now my #1 favorite mod, but only problem is that the retro shader is on by default.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

2 bugs with cacodemons
1.caco not always play death sound
2.when caco killed by other enemy his corpse will block the path,i could not replicate it on testing map with hellknight infighting but it still happens on regular maps,it happens when the ceiling is low enough,dammit it may be just a thing in eviternity where they have infinite actor height
also i think u should make revenant rockets more visible,they are small and fast and its really hard to see whether its chasing u or not(especially with powerups that change color)
another thing to mention-rockets go up a bit so they end up higher than should be
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

[HotPocket] wrote:This is now my #1 favorite mod, but only problem is that the retro shader is on by default.
Glad to be your #1! I'll see if I can fix that in the next update.
Gorec wrote:*stuff*
Thanks for the feedback! I just uploaded a fix for both of the cacodemon bugs. The blocking thing was just me completely forgetting to add "A_NoBlocking" to its death state like at all. As for the revenant rockets, I think they're fine the way they are for now. If anyone else has any gripes about it, I'll see if I can find a solution. I will probably add some particle effects for the homing rockets at some point. And what exactly do you mean by the rockets "go up a bit?" Are you referring to the spawn offsets for the rocket launcher's rockets?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I did everything you said for an optimal experience, and it came out all pixellated. Didn't notice the shader and mistook it for part of the regular game settings instead.
It's pretty nice, i'll add.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”