Oblige my Doom - Roguelite Doom Launcher

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DragonFlayer

Oblige my Doom - Roguelite Doom Launcher

Post by DragonFlayer »

A small launcher made with Python for folk who want to jump straight into a random map with their favorite settings and mods

Features
  • Generates a Timestamped Oblige Map
  • Keeps the Generated Maps in an Output Folder
  • Save and Load your favorite settings
  • Automatically Load your last used settings
  • Open Oblige from the Launcher
  • Add your own arguments to your source port before launch
  • Create and Manage Game Sessions
TODO
  • Oblige Setting file Maker/Editor
Source Code at:
https://github.com/DragonFlayer/oblige-my-doom

Downloads at:
https://github.com/DragonFlayer/oblige-my-doom/releases

Bugs and Feedback at:
https://github.com/DragonFlayer/oblige-my-doom/issues
Last edited by DragonFlayer on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AvzinElkein

Re: Oblige my Doom - Roguelite Doom Launcher

Post by AvzinElkein »

What's Oblige?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Windows Defender is not at all happy with this program.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Compiled scripts nearly universally cause virus scanners to choke due to the way they are abused by malware authors (which is funny, because you can write malware in C++ just as easily as you could in Python).

Run it in a VM with sandbox tools and track the changes to the system. I can't say anything about this program in particular, however, most programs like this are fairly harmless.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Kappes Buur wrote:Windows Defender is not at all happy with this program.
For me it's just doing that "I don't recognise this program so I'm going to assume that you don't want to run it but if you really, really do you can click "More Info" and pick "run anyway" (not that I'm going to make it obvious that's what you need to do), but don't blame me if the whole world explodes" thing. ;)

i.e. I've seen it with a lot of programs that I know are OK. I'm sure it catches problematic ones too but more often than not, it's merely because the program is unrecognised.
SmartScreen determines whether a downloaded app or app installer is potentially malicious by:
  • Checking downloaded files against a list of reported malicious software sites and programs known to be unsafe. If it finds a match, SmartScreen shows a warning to let the user know that the site might be malicious.
  • Checking downloaded files against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Windows users. If the file isn't on that list, SmartScreen shows a warning, advising caution.
DragonFlayer

Post by DragonFlayer »

Yeah, sadly not much I can do about that until enough people download it, at least I already submitted it to Avast and Avast shouldn't scream at it anymore, but SmartScreen depends on the number of people who have encountered the file, the submission process doesn't really accelerate whitelisting until it builds a reputation with the SmartScreen system

If you are still unsure, I would be happy to read the script files for you line by line and point out where the scripts do any file operations or critical OS stuff you could suspect to be malicious, other than that, I just gotta wait for Microsoft
DragonFlayer

Post by DragonFlayer »

I put it through Virus Total
Got suspected by 9 engines out of 71, the rest think the file is clear, but Virus Total shows you file operations in the behavior tab, which should help you be at ease

I saw that it was using files related to OpenSSL, may be my fault for using "import os" lazily instead of just importing what I needed from the library, there is probably networking libraries in there, I'll be sure to trim imports for the next version to see if that lowers the amount of created files, most files created and used are part of the Qt framework for the UI and some runtime stuff I imagine is needed for python to run on Windows
DragonFlayer

Post by DragonFlayer »

Minor Update, the app now has an icon

Download it Here

I also tried to reduce my library imports by only importing the functions I'm actually using from each package, seems to have worked in lowering the amount false negatives just a bit
Virus Total now only reports 6 out of 70 engines reported the latest version as a virus, looking at the messages though, it seems those remaining engines are just being triggered because the file is new/suspicious due to not having a reputation

I was looking into how to get my application approved for SmartScreen to stop screaming at it, specificially, how to sign my executable with microsoft, but regardless of what I do, signing only works for future releases having a lower chance of triggering SmartScreen's suspicion, it still requires reputation by users knowingly running the app

As for the use of OpenSSL dynamic libraries as reported by the File operations the app performs on Virus Total, I still have no idea why those are used, I guess the Qt framework needs it for some reason

Also, I finally commented my code, I always forget to do so.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I can see this accompanying Oblige and an ongoing addon I'm involved in with others to constantly improve it called ObAddon. This is like the Ménage à trois right here: a front end, the RMG and this.
DragonFlayer

Post by DragonFlayer »

Glaice wrote:I can see this accompanying Oblige and an ongoing addon I'm involved in with others to constantly improve it called ObAddon. This is like the Ménage à trois right here: a front end, the RMG and this.
Ooh, never heard of it, what is it? are you guys picking up after the original oblige project?

Edit: Just found the github, very impressive work! I'm certainly trying out that addon! is there other projects like it that I should be aware of? I don't know if besides addons, there are other implementations of Oblige out there, I do wish to implement an oblige setting editor later, so it may be good to be aware of potential addons to add to such an editor
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Just started using this and I think its a great little tool! I do have a (hopefully) small suggestion for an additional feature, namely a way to pick up where you left off directly from ObligeMyDoom if you have to stop before completing the Wad. I was thinking a button to launch your source port without generating a new Oblige Wad, and either have the user add the last used one to the PWAD list manually, or have some kind of secondary list/last used Oblige PWAD selector that pulls from the "output" folder. I know its not a huge deal to load up all the same wads in another program, but it would definitely be a really nice feature to have. Thanks for your time, and great work!
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Great tool ! Happy to see people still working on Oblige related projects !
One quick question , is this compatible with older (v2 , v3) versions or Oblige or unofficial forks like Obhack ?
DragonFlayer

Post by DragonFlayer »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Great tool ! Happy to see people still working on Oblige related projects !
One quick question , is this compatible with older (v2 , v3) versions or Oblige or unofficial forks like Obhack ?
This launcher requires the batch capabilities I saw on the last stable release of Oblige, the commands on this page specifically
http://oblige.sourceforge.net/doc_usage.html

if older versions or forks support those commands with the same syntax, they should technically work
DragonFlayer

Post by DragonFlayer »

stainedofmind wrote:Just started using this and I think its a great little tool! I do have a (hopefully) small suggestion for an additional feature, namely a way to pick up where you left off directly from ObligeMyDoom if you have to stop before completing the Wad. I was thinking a button to launch your source port without generating a new Oblige Wad, and either have the user add the last used one to the PWAD list manually, or have some kind of secondary list/last used Oblige PWAD selector that pulls from the "output" folder. I know its not a huge deal to load up all the same wads in another program, but it would definitely be a really nice feature to have. Thanks for your time, and great work!
That's a pretty good idea! I'll see about implementing it sometime when I'm free ~

Return to “Launchers”