Add little tips for settings options.

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Add little tips for settings options.

Post by Guest »

Make it easier to use by providing simple but not too simple explanations for each option, such as Display Options>OpenGL>Tonemapping to say "Simulates your eyes adjusting to bright lights, such as outside." or Mouse Options>Free Mouselook to say "Enable ability to look up and down." etc, etc. Just add little tips, maybe add a search thingy too. Thanks!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Add little tips for settings options.

Post by Graf Zahl »

The idea is good, but... who is to write all that text - in multiple languages...?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I wrote a homebrew tooltip solution for all of my released mods (Tilt++, WeaponSway, Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition and SpriteShadow). And now with the newer font, there's even more space to allow tooltips to exist on the screen... actually it's very trivial to add a tooltip parameter to the widgets, that's not the real problem here... as Graf said, it's actually writing the tooltips for the gazillions of options - for all supported languages! - is going to be quite a huge feat... :mrgreen:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Idea: make the tool tip optional. If one isn't defined, simply display nothing. Because, honestly, not every option needs a tip - I should think it's pretty obvious, for example, what "Player Name" is for!
Nash

Post by Nash »

wildweasel wrote:Idea: make the tool tip optional. If one isn't defined, simply display nothing. Because, honestly, not every option needs a tip - I should think it's pretty obvious, for example, what "Player Name" is for!
That's already how my homebrew widget works; the tooltip parameter is optional and won't draw anything if there's none defined. :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:I should think it's pretty obvious, for example, what "Player Name" is for!
While we're on the subject... what DOES it do?

:mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Graf Zahl wrote:The idea is good, but... who is to write all that text - in multiple languages...?
We could copy these settings’ descriptions from the ZDoom wiki for all settings that are written down there. After that, I don’t think it’ll be that hard to write new descriptions, and it’ll definitely help translators understand what they’re translating. :D
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Undead wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:The idea is good, but... who is to write all that text - in multiple languages...?
We could copy these settings’ descriptions from the ZDoom wiki for all settings that are written down there. After that, I don’t think it’ll be that hard to write new descriptions, and it’ll definitely help translators understand what they’re translating. :D
And I've been pushing for that option myself after seeing the tooltips in Russian Overkill, there are a LOT Of options that could use some extra info, especially compatibility!

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”