☼ Hedon 1.5.2 (Now on GOG) ☼

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zan

Re: ☼ Hedon (Your Vote Needed Again!) ☼

Post by Zan »

I actually had no idea about that tag display option, but yeah, you're intended to use Query Item to get a more compelling description. I've actually also changed the time a console message sticks to like 5 seconds so now it should be easier to read too.

Regarding the ingredient, I'm going to modify that shop and try something. I've removed a blank door, and moved a light source closer to the Vine door to help the player stick with a clearer memory of the place, and avoid any memory confusion potentially caused by that extra door.

And for the Pickaxe I just realised that I probably forgot to save a change of the map in which there was a broken Pickaxe by the lantern close to the important cracked wall. Now that should be a more than obvious hint to the player.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

The only problem I've had so far with regards to puzzles/level design is the mines, where you have to find all the Mithril ore pieces. Considering how dangerous the area is with all the molten metal/ lava, and the emphasis on explosive and fire breathing enemies, I found it a real slog to find the last piece of Mithral I needed, especially with all the various tunnels and caves and pools to traverse. I found this quite tiresome especially after very recently having to hunt down all the ink sacs.

Apart from that, I am throughly enjoying it.

edit: That bit with the flooded rooms and the breaking glass was absolutely class. BOOM
Zan

Post by Zan »

Hmm each of the Mithril pickups was intended in some sort of terminal or important looking area. To sort of appeal to the player's instinct to guide them out. Only one of them is in a questionable spot - the cart by the Fire statue place. I'm going to adjust that a bit to make it look more important to the player.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Besides the fact it runs like trash in my laptop (But don't worry, that is to be expected) the game looks fantastic and the level design is great too.

But i got a minor gripe with the punching animations, the way the fists "rotate" seems very unnatural.
I only got to MAP02 before getting tired of the low framerate, but i will give it a shot on my more powerful PC (It handles 5700 3D floors at 70fps in software so why not :D)

So far the game seems awesome. One thing i didn't like about the first map is that you didn't place lights on the little tunnels that are necessary for progression. I was running for like 20 minutes trying to see what was i supposed to do until i saw those tunnels. It was like Hexen all over again!
Zan

Post by Zan »

Thanks! The game was initially designed to run at over 30 fps on a fairly old graphic card (AMD HD 5400, 1gb), so dunno why the first levels run so poorly unless your machine is really ancient.
TDRR wrote:So far the game seems awesome. One thing i didn't like about the first map is that you didn't place lights on the little tunnels that are necessary for progression. I was running for like 20 minutes trying to see what was i supposed to do until i saw those tunnels. It was like Hexen all over again!
But there's a lot of lights there, even one at the very start of the tunnels that I put for this specific reason. Was it there in your run, or you just didn't notice it? In any case, I've enlarged it a bit just to be sure.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Zan wrote:Thanks! The game was initially designed to run at over 30 fps on a fairly old graphic card (AMD HD 5400, 1gb), so dunno why the first levels run so poorly unless your machine is really ancient.

But there's a lot of lights there, even one at the very start of the tunnels that I put for this specific reason. Was it there in your run, or you just didn't notice it? In any case, I've enlarged it a bit just to be sure.
But not IN the tunnel that grants you access to the iron key, so it was sorta invisible until i walked close to the walls and saw it.

Also my GPU is a Intel HD 4000, so that's why it slows down. My PC has a worse GPU (last Intel GMA) but a MUCH better CPU (Dual-Core 3GHz is pretty meaty) and runs Software/Softpoly two times better than this PC runs OpenGL. I'm honestly confused why is it that much faster but it just is.

By the way, the title screen looks AWESOME!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The Intel HD 4000 has to work pretty hard, especially for larger screens, in order to produce a smooth output.

It does support screen scaling though, so you can try "vid_scalefactor 0.5" and see if it speeds things up a bit for you. That command works great on my HD 4600 and does provide me with a nice boost in performance, with a minor (almost unnoticeable) cost in image quality. Try values between 0.2 and 1.0 (decimal, obviously) and see what balance of image quality and rendering performance you find best.

By the way - this command is in the menu, too - go to Options -> Set Video Mode -> Scale Factor slider.

I think this project prefers the hardware renderer, so it's worth seeing if that command helps you.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Oh, okay, I think I misunderstood which tunnel you're talking about. I know what you mean, the textures are kinda killing the depth of that branching way. Few well placed glow shrooms should do nicely.
Zan

Post by Zan »

By the way, I've updated the link with a fresh ModDB 0.9 and also assigned the proper roles to those who joined the Discord server. I forgot I can't see new users in the channels they don't have access to, but that should be solved now.
Zan

Re: ☼ Hedon (Releasing on 21st March!) ☼

Post by Zan »

Release date has been set! Last call for testing, check the first post!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

21st of March has been set on my calendar as a "stay the fuck in and download" day.

Looking forward to this. :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Boy o Boy, Rejoice! Head on and wait for the Release of Hedon!
Zan

Post by Zan »

Files have been uploaded to IndieDB and will release in 15 hours from now. Thanks for all the support, hope you enjoy what I've managed to make in these last two years and half!
You'll find the download files here:
https://www.indiedb.com/games/hedon
https://zanthebonebreaker.itch.io/hedon
Last edited by Zan on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Nice! Awesome looking mod with a really sexy protagonist, seen the screenshots and this looks amazing. Only 15 hours away, thanks Zan!
Zan

Re: ☼ Hedon (Released!) ☼

Post by Zan »

Aaaand it's up. See the links in the first post!
Guess I'll be waiting for your critique now :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”