Castle Matias | for BDLite

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matias

Castle Matias | for BDLite

Post by Matias »

Castle Themed map for BDLite

After realizing that i will not have castle of my own i did the next best thing and made one in doom, But there is a problem... it's filled with demons and their questionable choices of art so it's doomguys job to get rid of the demons.

FIrst half of the map is a open outdoor area and castle itself is fairly simple and sometimes boxy castle made with 3d floors.

Gameplay is made for BDLite, Other gameplay mods may work well or not i don't know. Vanilla gameplay is not recommended because you just will not have enough firepower so it's not gonna be fun to play. Mainly the difference in chaingun

This map with BDLite kinda makes you feel like the most badass action movie hero especially at the outdoor area, and that is what i tried to do with it.. a fun map to play
And it's fairly fast paced so it takes about 10minutes to playthrough. And there is plenty of ammo and health.

If you are having trouble with slowdown try turning on "spent ammo fades" in bdlite setting, If it's not enough turn on "gibs fade"

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Video (old version)

Screenshots (old version)
Spoiler:
Doom 2
Map 01
UDMF Format
Uses 3d floors and dynamic lights
Hardware rendering required
No jumping or crouching
Freelook recommended

Load Lights and brightmaps in your gzdoom resource settings

Made to be played with GZDoom source port, other source ports not tested.

Credits:
-Custom sky by Mechadon https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... ore-skies/
-Custom Midi by Fookerton https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... some-midi/

Download
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HFQhCm ... Qb9No/view

BDLite
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62203
Last edited by Matias on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Matias

Re: Castle Matias | for BDLite [Now balanced for vanilla!]

Post by Matias »

UPDATE!!

Now balanced for vanilla gameplay!

use HMP difficulty for more vanilla friendly gameplay experience
UV will always be balanced for BDLite!

So what is the difference with these two difficulty settings?
-about 50enemies

UV has 234 for enemies
HMP has 180 enemies

Where does this difference show?
-Mostly in big groups of enemies. Simply said you have to fight less enemies at the same time when playing with HMP difficulty.

DOWNLOAD
[Removed, check the first post for latest version]
Last edited by Matias on Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Nice castle map with interesting use of 3D floors to create rooms over rooms! I thought that the open area at the very start was too open for hitscanners at first, but the terrain actually makes it a good challenge to get close to the castle. Like an action hero, as you said :)

https://youtu.be/v3O4B5BHnq8

I’m very flattered that you wrote it specifically for BDLite :) Is it OK for me to put this on the BDLite homepage with a link back here?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I'm tempted to try this out with Guncaster.
Matias

Post by Matias »

DavidN wrote:Nice castle map with interesting use of 3D floors to create rooms over rooms! I thought that the open area at the very start was too open for hitscanners at first, but the terrain actually makes it a good challenge to get close to the castle. Like an action hero, as you said :)
Thanks! i'm glad that my decision to put almost 100 enemies in one open area ended up being good and not unfair or frustrating :)
DavidN wrote:I’m very flattered that you wrote it specifically for BDLite :) Is it OK for me to put this on the BDLite homepage with a link back here?
Yes! Feel free to have it there
AvzinElkein wrote:I'm tempted to try this out with Guncaster.
Well there is nothing stopping you from trying! I'm not too familiar with that mod personally so i can't say how balanced or fun it's going to be. Only have seen a video of it like a year ago
Matias

Post by Matias »

UPDATE!

-Fixed issue where some of the Demons were set up as "friendly" most likely because of a misclick , This also fixes the monster counter that DavidN pointed out in his video.
-Added couple more enemies (4 or 5 i think), Doesn't change the gameplay in any meaningful way
-Removed ammo and health in some places and added in others
-Removed soulsphere from the front of the castle
-Removed megasphere secret
-Removed Bfg secret
-Moved couple barrels around so chaingunners are less likely to blow themselves up. Still happens sometimes but thats good
-Also some smaller things that are not worth writing here

The actual amount of monsters is 260 now. And you can still get 100% kills in 8 minutes

DOWNLOAD
[Removed, check the first post for latest version]
Last edited by Matias on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Ah, thanks - I was going mad trying to work out how that happened!
Matias

Re: Castle Matias | for BDLite

Post by Matias »

Update Time !

Finally got back to doom mapping so there is no better way to get back going than update your old maps, right?
And it's a good reason to learn slade as well.

Changes:

-Custom sky by Mechadon (Mek's Box 'o Skies v3) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... ore-skies/
-Custom midi by Fookerton (Fookmidi) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... some-midi/
-Added some more lighting variation
-Added more dynamic lights
-Balancing
-small texture and architectural tweaking

Screenshots
Spoiler:
i also changed from mediafire to google drive so let me know if i did something wrong with setting up the download

DOWNLOAD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HFQhCm ... Qb9No/view
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Nice effect on those steps! Is that a plugin, or all done with dynamic lights?
Matias

Post by Matias »

DavidN wrote:Nice effect on those steps! Is that a plugin, or all done with dynamic lights?
Thanks! it's all dynamic lights so no extra plugins needed :)

Return to “Levels”