DOOM Expanded [New Release Pending]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: DOOM Expanded 2.0 (DOOM EXP, Public Beta)

Post by TDRR »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:@TDRR
If your still interested in your Doom 1/Ultimate Super Shotgun coding project my good Sir, I'd be willing to integrate it in on the grounds that your willing to do the heavy coding. As I've mentioned before, I'm pretty decent with DECORATE, but I'm no good with Zscript or ACS. So if your really that gun-hoe about it, just let me know what you need.
Alright, i'm going to be sprinkling it on episodes 2 and 3, only on the UV difficulty though so as to not trivialize the difficulty of the game. I'm going to send you a .pk3 file with everything in it once i'm done.

EDIT: I'm also going to modify several decorative actors so as to detect the map the player is currently in. Is this fine?

EDIT2:
Screenshot_Doom_20190301_132133.png
Where should i place the unmaker?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Alright, here's the .PK3 whose contents should replace the ones in the main .PK3.

I only placed the SSG in some maps of Episode 3, i found it made E2 way too easy. I couldn't find good spots for it in E4's mostly cramped maps.

This is toggled via the exp_newweapons CVAR.
EXP_NewWeapons.pk3
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Did some light editing where I got rid of some of the duplicate DECORATE and fixed a missing semicolon in CVARINFO. After play testing, all in all, it's really good addon. I was able to get it working separately from the main pk3 using ZDOOM Launcher and had no issues once I made those minor changes. If it's alright with you, I'd like to make this an Extra as to keep the base pk3 relatively vanilla.

I can understand your opinion on E2, but it seems odd that it be omitted from E4 completely (considering that was originally supposed to lead into DOOM 2 prior to fan mods). I'm sure there are a couple of places in E4 where the SSG would be cozy and ready for pickup.

Now the Unmaker is a different animal entirely. It's considerably more powerful than the BFG, and is meant to act as its pickup equivalent. However, given it's firepower, it would have to be harder to find, much more difficult to get, or both. It may be to the point where you'd be only able to find it once per campaign (ala DOOM 64).
Attachments
EXP_NewWeapons.pk3
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Doom 64's Unmaker is actually found four times in the campaign iirc. First in MAP29: Outpost Omega, the first secret level. Then in MAP12: Altar of Pain, afterwards in MAP23: Unholy Temple and lastly on the final map, MAP28: The Absolution.
:P
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I stand corrected. I honestly forgot how often it showed up in 64.

But in all seriousness, Expanded's Unmaker is more based off of Hexen's Wraithverge and able to hitstun and kill the cyberdemon in seconds.

I have video footage from an older version showcasing this:
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Did some light editing where I got rid of some of the duplicate DECORATE and fixed a missing semicolon in CVARINFO. After play testing, all in all, it's really good addon. I was able to get it working separately from the main pk3 using ZDOOM Launcher and had no issues once I made those minor changes. If it's alright with you, I'd like to make this an Extra as to keep the base pk3 relatively vanilla.

I can understand your opinion on E2, but it seems odd that it be omitted from E4 completely (considering that was originally supposed to lead into DOOM 2 prior to fan mods). I'm sure there are a couple of places in E4 where the SSG would be cozy and ready for pickup.

Now the Unmaker is a different animal entirely. It's considerably more powerful than the BFG, and is meant to act as its pickup equivalent. However, given it's firepower, it would have to be harder to find, much more difficult to get, or both. It may be to the point where you'd be only able to find it once per campaign (ala DOOM 64).
I'm wondering, why don't you just set the CVAR to false by default? Literally no gameplay change is introduced when the CVAR is off, so just making it off by default would be good enough.

It's very likely there's a good spot for it in E4 maps, but i'm really bad at balancing single player and i'm basically a DM-only mapmaker, so i didn't want to mess up on my least played but apparently most people's favorite episode.

I will consider placing the Unmaker in two secret areas of E3, and another one in E4 and on the last map.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

TDRR wrote:I'm wondering, why don't you just set the CVAR to false by default? Literally no gameplay change is introduced when the CVAR is off, so just making it off by default would be good enough.
That can be changed in CVARINFO in the pk3 itself, but there's no in-game way of doing that via an options menu. If something was set up, I believe through "MENUDEF", I think that would allow it.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Hello everyone, a quick shoutout to the megawad, Going Down.

A bit challenging at times, but I recommend it as Expanded compliments its vanilla style very well.

So far, no issues or major updates to report on the mod right now, but something like the megawad and others can keep you tided over till the final release.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Another update for the Beta.

Worked with resident code guru Blue Shadow on integrating two randomizers into Expanded 2.0 via ZScript.

There are now two settings under "Doom Expanded Options" that can set the spawn chance of the Super Shotgun and Unmaker so that they randomly appear in place of regular Shotgun and BFG 9000 pickups respectively. These can be controlled with either a default variable (20% for the SSG / 5% for the Unmaker), or controlled with a slider. (SSG: 0 - 50%, Unmaker: 0 - 20%). These settings can be adjusted at any time during gameplay without the need to restart the level.

Hopefully this will appease those who wish to use the SSG in Doom 1/Ultimate and corresponding mods without having to worry about messing with extra files.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Update:

I've been busy with life and my job, and while I've been working on Expanded, I haven't been left with as much time as I'd like.

I've got one more feature I want to get into the mod (something I wanted to get in for a long time), as well as get the Classic Sounds version up and going fully as well.

With that said, I'll be leaving the Beta up for another week until March 24th being my set deadline.

Please continue to leave feedback and report bugs as necessary.

Thank you all!!
Rex R

Post by Rex R »

couple of comments/questions/ observations 1) all the medikits now sport blue crosses instead of red? well I suppose that beats green (or pills), 2) all of the armor appears to be Green, riiight got to have good memory to remember where the good armor is. 3) doomgal seems to work nicely :).
Rex
Rex R

Post by Rex R »

oh, I see. there is a visual difference between the armor formerly known as blue and the green armor, nevermind then about armor pickup colour :).
Rex
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

The new health kit and armor colors are inspired by Doom 2016 where they have blue crosses on health kits and all armor pickups are green.

I did my best to try and make sure there was some visual differences between armor pickups in the mod. Which is why I kept the original armor sprite and the new mega-armor sprite I borrowed from the alternate items pack for Knee-Deep in ZDoom.

Glad you like the Doomgal skin. I always believed in equal opportunity asskicking. Contributor Alice Jameson, and you can find some of her stuff here.
BlueFireZ88

Re: DOOM Expanded 2.0 [RELEASED]

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Alright, Expanded 2.0 and all of it's extras are posted in the beginning of the thread. I cut it a little close with the deadline, but here it is.
Rex R

Re: DOOM Expanded 2.0 [RELEASED]

Post by Rex R »

interesting, you've got things that drip(if you want to know what things drip...you'll just have to play the mod). comment, doomgal sure has hairy arms :).
Rex

Return to “Gameplay Mods”