Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v1.2 - More, more, more!!! (05/20/18)

Post by Cyanide »

Darch wrote:Hey Cyanide, you can use sprites from Preacher, no problem. Sorry to answer here, apparently I can't reply inbox messages with this new account :P
Great! I'll make sure you're credited. :)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Well damn... :(

I just found out, that chaos mode does not respect the +AMBUSH flag, which might be why dljosef reported monster closets not working a while back. Since chaos mode is handled with ZScript, which I don't know how to code (Blue Shadow wrote the ZScript for this mod), I'm at a dead end. I have no idea of how to solve it. If anyone has an idea, please PM me. Chaos Mode seemed such an easy little thing to add, but causes a lot of problems for me. I know a lot of you guys love it, so I'm not gonna remove it. Unfortunatly I can't promise it will ever work correctly...

On a brighter note, I'm hard at work adding monsters to the mod. The next version will be the largest addition to the roster since the very first release. :) It will be a while though, since I have to remake the patches (and also add one or two).
batos2

Post by batos2 »

Some enemies that are placed on the maps do not appear. :?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

batos2 wrote:Some enemies that are placed on the maps do not appear. :?
I can't recreate this in the version I'm working on. So hopefully it's already fixed. :)
batos2

Post by batos2 »

Coool!. :D
HUGEGUTS

Post by HUGEGUTS »

This is exactly what I've been looking for! A randomizer that only changes enemies' appearance, without ruining the intended difficulty of mapsets. Also the idea of single replacement per map is really neat. At first I didn't really appreciate it and immediately turned on chaos mode, but in the end switched back. Chaos is just too messy, while default mode keeps it balanced.
Works fine with all weapon mods I play except for Doom Delta. Two main issues are bosses being instantly destroyed with BFG2704 and former humans not dropping souls. While first issue can be fixed very easily (there's intended to be 0.1 damage multiplier for bosses against bfg), the second one I didn't have much luck with. I can send my attempt at making patch if needed.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

HUGEGUTS wrote:This is exactly what I've been looking for! A randomizer that only changes enemies' appearance, without ruining the intended difficulty of mapsets. Also the idea of single replacement per map is really neat. At first I didn't really appreciate it and immediately turned on chaos mode, but in the end switched back. Chaos is just too messy, while default mode keeps it balanced.
Works fine with all weapon mods I play except for Doom Delta. Two main issues are bosses being instantly destroyed with BFG2704 and former humans not dropping souls. While first issue can be fixed very easily (there's intended to be 0.1 damage multiplier for bosses against bfg), the second one I didn't have much luck with. I can send my attempt at making patch if needed.
Glad you like it. :)

Theres a link in the OP for a patch base along with some instructions if you want to give it a go. I'll take a look at Doom Delta myself. :)
HUGEGUTS

Post by HUGEGUTS »

Yup, I did attempt to create a patch using your base a little earlier. Here, hope this helps: SoD_Delta
Added (hopefully) all needed damage resistances. Also made it so chaingunners always drop MachineGun, because otherwise you'd be able to get ChainGun too early. For souls there's mapeditor.zsc, which is exactly the same as DrPyspy's original code except for ~50 'if' operators for each of Shades' zombie class, lol. It's super dumb, I know, and sometimes dudes still don't drop souls for some reason.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Quick update. This project 'aint dead yet! :D

I've completed a new test-version of Shades of Doom. I'm in the process of testing it with the different patches. I've looked into making a Guncaster patch, which turns out to be quite an undertaking. But that doesn't really matter now, since THIS is a thing! As far as I can tell, it works with Shades of Doom, which makes it redundant to create my own patch.
I've put a lot of work into this, so I hope you guys like it. :wub:
Also, I'm testing the mod and streaming it on Twitch (on a very irregular schedule though). PM me for a link.
- Cyanide
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Good to hear from ya! Psyched for the next release
AwakeOnPhobos

Post by AwakeOnPhobos »

Just came across this mod and I'm having an absolute blast with it. It makes playing vanilla wads feel a lot fresher again. A quick question: I know you said making toggles for all the monsters to add/remove them from the monster pool is too much work, but could you give me a hint as to how I could get rid of certain monsters manually by messing with the files? There are a few variations in there that just don't feel right to me.

Keep up the good work!
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

AwakeOnPhobos wrote:Just came across this mod and I'm having an absolute blast with it. It makes playing vanilla wads feel a lot fresher again. A quick question: I know you said making toggles for all the monsters to add/remove them from the monster pool is too much work, but could you give me a hint as to how I could get rid of certain monsters manually by messing with the files? There are a few variations in there that just don't feel right to me.

Keep up the good work!
Glad you like it!
I'd like to add the option to toggle individual monsters on and off. I just don't know how to code it. But a can absolutely make some sort of a guide to remove monsters in SLADE.

I can do this when version 2.0 is released.
AwakeOnPhobos

Post by AwakeOnPhobos »

Awesome, I would really appreciate a small guide like that! Thanks for the quick reply.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v2.0 - The Spice of Life (03/11/19)

Post by Cyanide »

That's it. It is done. Almost a year, and I'm finally done.
Version 2.0 is up. It's the biggest update to the mod so far. Is that enough monster variants?
Spoiler:
The download links have been updated, so go grab it from the OP! :D

Here's a changelog, which is also in the OP.
Spoiler:
As always, keep those bug reports flowing. I'm sure I've missed something somewhere.
Lastly, thanks for all the support! :wub: I'm celebrating my 30th birthday this Wednessday, so this is my gift to you. :cheers:
- Cyanide
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Shades of Doom v2.0 - The Spice of Life (03/11/19)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Oh yeah, 2019 is starting as one great year for doom mods!

Going to download this as soon as i am home! :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”