Doom 1 Parallax Mapping (2 versions available)

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Doom 1 Parallax Mapping (2 versions available)

Post by Rachael »

Heya Darkcrafter - thanks for the alternate implementation. I linked it in the original post and credited you.

I'm going to leave both versions available - since one version may run better on older systems, your's obviously does look a bit better for newer ones.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Rachael wrote:Heya Darkcrafter - thanks for the alternate implementation. I linked it in the original post and credited you.

I'm going to leave both versions available - since one version may run better on older systems, your's obviously does look a bit better for newer ones.
Hey thank you for the original implementation!
zhadoom

Post by zhadoom »

@ Darkcrafter
For height maps you can go even with paint.
This means, you draw/edit them by hand?

I tried out Awesomebump for normalmaps. Not bad, but still I don't get these normal maps "clean". That means, when I convert - let's say - a STONE texture, the normal map will look uneven and rough, not plain.
Your normal maps look perfectly plain. How do you achieve this?

Kind regards
zhd
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Oh those aren't mine! Upload what you got here so we can say what's wrong with them.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Gonna bump the thread with a bit more enhanced version that looks even better with filtering at NONE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gPNlt ... ojfks1EIkT

Added some new textures in there but I get a strange error trying to load it along with DOOM.WAD from Ultimate Doom :cry:
Also there is a problem with the shader that a fish eye effect appears that becomes more noticeable when player gets closer to a surface. I suppose something must be done with uCameraPos. At the very least I could try to get a lens distortion glsl shader in there in a workaround passion, but I still think there is something wrong with the parallax shader.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Upd: shader enhancements, some new height textures: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gPNltV ... 1EIkT/view
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I updated the link in the first post. Thanks.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Thanks, I noticed that the parallax effect becomes much less obivous at higher view distance, my idea is adding depth buffer to the formula so the parallax scale gets higher at higher distances. The problem is that it's impossible to do out of just glsl shader file as I must have an access to all opengl framebuffers. Is there anything that can be done with it? I believe a much better result may be pulled out of parallax shader. There is a room for further enhancements like offset limiting (optional and good for some types of surfaces) and probably virtual polygon border extension for seam smoothing.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As far as I know, no, at least not currently. dpJudas knows way more about the depth buffer implementation than I do, right now.

The system might see improvements in the future (no promises, though), but they'll all have to wait until Vulkan gets merged. Until then, nothing will be done to extend or add features to either renderer.
clockworkz

Post by clockworkz »

Hey everyone, I'm the guy who sent the original depth maps to DPJudas. It's been a couple years now since I made them, but now that parallax mapping is actually working, I'd like to keep working on the project.

Way back when, when I first created the depth maps, it was using the textures I extracted from the Doom.wad directly using New Wad Tools or some similar app, so I ended up getting the patches rather than the textures.

If someone could point me to a source where I can get the 'propper' textures to build new depth maps with, I'd be happy to carry on with the project. Having seen it in action first hand, it's every bit as good as I'd hoped it would be.

I look forward to seeing what else can be done with this.

You can email me directly at mpobersnel@gmail.com
I own both ultimate doom and doom 2 if there's a problem with rights to the textures.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'd recommend extracting your game files using Wadext. That's the best way to get your textures.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Using SLADE, you can double-click doom.wad / doom2.wad's TEXTURES lump, select all the textures in the TEXTURES editor (click first entry, scroll to last entry, shift + click last entry), then right-click and export as PNG.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Or that. Nash's method is probably better because you get the completed set, rather than individual patches.
clockworkz

Post by clockworkz »

Thanks. I'll get started on it. First I'll sort out which of dpJudas constructed textures are correct and then I'll start on the rest of them.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

am i dumb? i cant seem to get this to work.

running GZD 3.7.2

do i have to activate the shaders or something?

nevermind...im a dipshit.

i was just playing a map that hardly had any of the textures that get replaced.

these are killer! especially because they mix with the game super well, and dont need a dynamic light to show.

any chance these will be completed? would love a runthrough with hellbound with it! ...or is it hellground?

Return to “Shaders”