Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.2 UPDATE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence RELEASED v1.1 - Action Adventur

Post by jazzmaster9 »

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:
jazzmaster9 wrote:
Burly Jim wrote:Hi there, I'm really enjoying your mod but I'm completely lost. I need to fight the necromancer but I can't even find the catacombs. I've been wandering in circles for about fifteen minutes and it's not marked on my map like the other main quests.
Only Quest givers are marked, the Quest Log will you along with quest locations.
The Sacred Catacombs is in the Tainted Woodlands.
Is it the one area where you need the Graveyard Key? I got a key that I swear was for a crypt or something, but the Graveyard Key door refuses to open.....am I looking in entirely the wrong place?
You get the Graveyard key from the chieftain, he gives to you at the start of quest. Use that to open the graveyard.
DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

jazzmaster9 wrote: You get the Graveyard key from the chieftain, he gives to you at the start of quest. Use that to open the graveyard.
I did exactly that last night, and it still says I need the Graveyard Key when I get to the thing that needs it.

EDIT: Had to noclip through the door to do the dungeon, which I beat. The reliquary key I got from Cynthia didn't work either, and I had to noclip through THAT door, too. That's two keys given to me by quest-givers that didn't work on the doors they were supposed to unlock. Has anyone else had this problem?
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:
jazzmaster9 wrote: You get the Graveyard key from the chieftain, he gives to you at the start of quest. Use that to open the graveyard.
I did exactly that last night, and it still says I need the Graveyard Key when I get to the thing that needs it.

EDIT: Had to noclip through the door to do the dungeon, which I beat. The reliquary key I got from Cynthia didn't work either, and I had to noclip through THAT door, too. That's two keys given to me by quest-givers that didn't work on the doors they were supposed to unlock. Has anyone else had this problem?
That is really strange...
Want to ask, which version of GZdoom are you using?
DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

jazzmaster9 wrote:
DukeNukem 2417 wrote:

That is really strange...
Want to ask, which version of GZdoom are you using?
3.3.0, on a Windows 7 PC.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

DukeNukem 2417 wrote: 3.3.0, on a Windows 7 PC.
okay that is really strange, tried to recreate this but my Keys worked fine. are you using any other gameplay mods?
DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

jazzmaster9 wrote:
DukeNukem 2417 wrote: 3.3.0, on a Windows 7 PC.
okay that is really strange, tried to recreate this but my Keys worked fine. are you using any other gameplay mods?
I think it's autoloading Smooth DooM.....that might be the issue.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.1 NOW ON IDGAMES

Post by Kroc »

Finished it now; that was thoroughly enjoyable:

Highlights:
  • Solid level design. Dungeons are very satisfying to explore
  • Bosses are incredible. I was laughing the whole time the "secret" boss was killing me
  • Flawless difficulty curve. I played on "Easy" because I prefer exploration over monster numbers and the game was perfectly balanced throughout
  • Music is a solid 10/10. Boss themes were for the ages
Areas of Improvement
  • Gold -- like all virtual currencies in all games, ever -- throws off the balance of the game. I finished the game with 24K of Gold I couldn't even spend because pickups were plentiful enough. I'd prefer to see gold drops from enemies removed (this makes the secrets more valuable) and an enemy introduced that drops arrows so that you're not painfully short of ammo (and gold to buy it) in the early game
  • The presence of original DOOM enemies doesn't always fit in well. The Barons worked, but the Imp & Pinky felt out of place
  • I'm in favour of there being no music in the "wilderness", it lets the gloomy and desolate land speak for itself, but I feel as if the settlements should have some music to make them stand out more as a "safe place"
  • No player or weapon upgrades. Collecting of Souls & Idols/Artifacts meant little when all you got for them was cash. These could have been used to imbue the player with abilities to help access new areas of the map (Metroidvania style)
This was a really fresh take on DOOM! Thanks!
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.1 NOW ON IDGAMES

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Update uploaded to both Download Mirrors:
- Fixed a DECORATE line in the Ancient Drake that causes his attack frames to display the wrong sprite
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.2 NOW ON IDGAMES

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Update v1.2 uploaded
- Soul Vessel no longer increase Bolt Ammo Capacity
- Fixed some mistagged sectors in Map01
- Changes to sector geometry and added decrations in Map15
- Fixed the sudden music change in Map15
- More Typo Fixes
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This is the result after putting Hexen, Diablo and Dark Souls together in a blender. Fantastic and Atmospheric TC! Overworld feels ominous and nice enough to convince you that you're embarking on a journey. The only complain i have is that ammo around the Overworld is pretty much scarce and some Basic enemies like Imps takes several arrows to kill. Though they do drop some White Mana, but not sure if can use it or dedicated magic. Granted, they drops some pieces of gold upon death, and you can buy ammo. Unfortunately it takes extra time to purchase something much expensive and yet useful. Maybe i'm thinking too much!

Other than that, i love medieval and aesthetic feels into it. Nice job!

EDIT: Forget what i said. After the deep examination, it wasn't so bad at all. The gameplay itself will provide you what you need. But i've got some suggestions and feedback to tell you.
Spoiler:
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I just completed Abysm and here's what I have to say. Played on normal, never bought anything, ended up with 30,000+ coins, never used inventory items apart from healing flasks and mana potions. Never ran out of ammo/mana. Hated that mana disappears after roughly 30 (1080 instead of 1050 tics) seconds. While I know that you get an item that remedies that later on from an optional dungeon, it changed the way I play. I only killed enemies if I could make sure I could reach them during that time, this includes waiting for Drakes to pass over bottomless pits, unless they were impossible to get to. I also never used the flame spell since I found it to be too OP. Is there only one +50 health upgrade in the entire mod? I have to admit, I played the mod 'without' enemy respawning by simply noclipping over the lines surrounding the two settlements and their fast travel spots, since I thought I'd get more gold and mana than I spend by killing enemies so at least I think I made my playthrough harder. It would be nice if opened/empty chests either disappear after some time or change into a different actor. Because I used 'actorlist' to make sure I found them all but I couldn't make out if I opened them yet or not. Last but not least, Primeval's YouTube playlist labels it Episode 1, does that hint at a possible sequel? :D

P.S. If I may make a suggestion, JPHUD should be removed, so the end user can choose between JPHUD, NCHUD, DamNums, TargetSpy and others. I also had a performance hit with the mod's JPHUD_START actor and m8f's Armament Tuning.

P.P.S. The Soul Vessel gives 15 crossbow bolts upon pickup, which makes no sense :P
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Major Update Uploaded
- Fixed a game breaking sequence break that prevents players from finishing the game if they complete Warner's Side quest AFTER completing the final main quest
- Soul Vessel no longer gives 15 bolts on pickup
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.2 UPDATED LINKS

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Minor Update
- Updated the CREDITPIC and .txt file
- Some changes in Texturing

New download links available.
You can download the mod from the main Dropbox or ModDB link, with Mediafire link serving as a mirror.
karry299

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.2 UPDATE

Post by karry299 »

Wrath of God: Generates a blast of energy that does heavy physical damage.
Does it really ? Because i tried to target an enemy from a distance. I tried to use it right next to an enemy. There is no visible "blast" to be seen anywhere, and enemies remain unharmed. A waste of an inventory slot if i ever saw one.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”