Decadence

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
alekksandar

Decadence

Post by alekksandar »

Hello everyone! I’m new to these forums, and even though I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post. I’d like to share my project for gzDoom g3.4.1.
This mod draws inspiration from all over the place, but in the end it’s aiming to be its own thing.

Pics:
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD:
-Note: This IWAD has been developed on an older version of gzdoom (gzDoom g3.4.1), so the gzdoom build is included in the download.
To run, just open gzdoom.exe, don't drag the wad file onto it, this will cause errors!
->https://alekk.art/Decadence/Decadence.rar

In case you know what you're doing:
->https://alekk.art/Decadence/Decadence.ipk3

Config file with the key binds and all the doodads:
->https://alekk.art/Decadence/gzdoom.ini
Last edited by alekksandar on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:30 am, edited 18 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Working title)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

WOW! These screenies look great!

I don't know why, but it reminds me of both Incantation (SNES) and the Hocus Pocus mod; Fantasy and action together.

Welcome to the forums! I hope we can play this mod very soon (at least i just woke up now and haven't seen download links...)

Success to you! ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

That retro-cute art style is pretty good! Did you make the sprites, too?
alekksandar

Post by alekksandar »

Gez wrote:That retro-cute art style is pretty good! Did you make the sprites, too?
Thanks! And yep! :) I did pretty much everything except for the fonts, sounds/music and some advanced scripts such as dialogue and reloading weapons.
GAA1992 wrote:WOW! These screenies look great!

I don't know why, but it reminds me of both Incantation (SNES) and the Hocus Pocus mod; Fantasy and action together.

Welcome to the forums! I hope we can play this mod very soon (at least i just woke up now and haven't seen download links...)

Success to you! ;)
Thank you! I haven't played either of those but I do see the resemblance.
As for the download link - I wasn't so sure about putting one out since none of the maps can be actually completed for now, because the player would actually need to go into the map, grab an artifact or do a quest, and trek back to the hub world.
I wasn't so sure people would like a mod like this, so currently I'm only giving it out to close friends to test, but I'll try to put out a download link here as soon as it's in a presentable condition.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Aw dude! This looks sweet!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Looks awesome indeed :)
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Oh wow, this looks awesome I can't wait!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

this just looks... fun

idk why but it has a very endearing style, and it looks like everything is hand made too. yknow since it looks like a complete tc, ever thought about doin some fleshing out and selling it?
alekksandar

Post by alekksandar »

Thanks everyone! I hope I'll be able to release something playable soon enough.
chronoteeth wrote:this just looks... fun

idk why but it has a very endearing style, and it looks like everything is hand made too. yknow since it looks like a complete tc, ever thought about doin some fleshing out and selling it?
Thanks! And yep, most of the stuff was hand-made. One graphic/texture I can remember off the top of my head that wasn't is the water texture, which is just a limited palette retexture of Doom's. But still, even though it looks fun, I'm trying my best to make it fun - make the enemies and weapons balanced, making good maps, et cetera - which I find definitely more difficult than drawing sprites.

I don't think anyone would dish out money for a doom mod, but regardless, I'd have to get people to redo most sounds and music for me since most of it was borrowed from other sources.

Here's a WiP of a new enemy type, since I realized I don't have any flying enemies that fire projectiles. And to justify a bump, I suppose. I'll update the OP with a proper monster/enemy list soon.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Looks interesting.
Noticed a lack of muzzleflashes in the video.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Magnificent! Love the art style.
alekksandar

Post by alekksandar »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Magnificent! Love the art style.
Thanks a lot!! :)
Sinael wrote:Looks interesting.
Noticed a lack of muzzleflashes in the video.
They aren't supposed to be powered by gunpowder, due to the medieval-ish / fantasy theme. Maybe they're pneumatic or something.It does look a bit jarring, I admit.
alekksandar

Post by alekksandar »

Update! A playable beta/demo is out, with two wave survival maps and a tower climbing map.

Here are some new additions, amongst other things:

-A player sprite,
-Muzzleflashes
-Tweaked Balance
-3 standalone maps mentioned earlier
etc

https://gyazo.com/625b6411d6529982b415eabafbf152c4
Amuscaria

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Post by Amuscaria »

Loving the art style.
Gez