Imbedded Base | My first Doom wad

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matias

Imbedded Base | My first Doom wad

Post by Matias »

Hello!

This is my first doom wad and first doom wad i have ever worked on. It's called imbedded base because i wanted to make something that would resemble demonic base build in rock/mountain or atleast that is what it became in the end. Due to heavy use of reflective floors and decorative light sources (torches, candles etc.) this may be hard to run on weaker hardware. I know atleast my old laptop with 1.4ghz celeron was not able to run this smoothly(could have been some other issue with the hardware tho). There is also some bigger open areas and few 3d floors that may be an issue for some.

There is only 2 difficulty levels hmp and uv. Uv having more and stronger enemies like you would expect

Doom 2
Map 01
UDMF Format
Uses 3d floors and dynamic lights
Hardware rendering required
Jumping and crounching is required for some secrets!
Freelook recommended

Load Lights and brightmaps in your gzdoom resource settings
Made to be played with GZDoom source port, other source ports not tested.

Here is some screenshots
Spoiler:

Video (Old version)
Spoiler:
Credits:
-Custom sky by Mechadon (Mek's Box 'o Skies v3) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... ore-skies/
-Custom midi by Fookerton (Fookmidi) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... some-midi/

DOWNLOAD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDqX9P ... f8nXZ/view

i will keep fixing and improving this based on the feedback i get. Sometimes it's really easy to be blind to your own mistakes
Last edited by Matias on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tango

Re: Imbedded Base | My first Doom wad

Post by Tango »

looks neat, saw this on your channel earlier. will give it a whirl :D
EggZekutor

Post by EggZekutor »

Is this truly your first map? Well goddamn, color me impressed!
Matias

Post by Matias »

Tango wrote:looks neat, saw this on your channel earlier. will give it a whirl :D
Thanks! Let me know what you think of it!
EggZekutor wrote:Is this truly your first map? Well goddamn, color me impressed!
Yes it is first doom map i have ever worked on and thank you!

Updated version
-Set up the red door so now you actually need to get the key to open it
-Secrets should not be visible from the automap anymore
-Fixed some Texture alignment issues and some other minor stuff

(old download link removed, check original post for latest version)
Last edited by Matias on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke_333

Post by Smoke_333 »

Just played it, very good level design. I particularly liked the library, the candlelit corridor, and the room before the cyberdemon fight. However, I would add a little more health near the beginning/middle to make it more forgiving and maybe not have the monster difficulty ramp up as fast. The only issue I noticed is in one of the first rooms the sludge does not do any damage when you stand in it. Other than that its a great level and very well designed.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Incredible for a first map :) Architecture is great, texturing is unusual. I took a video of my run-through with some comments on things that I noticed. (It was done on the first version of the map - you can go back and edit the first post to replace the old link with the new one to make sure people are getting the latest version!)

https://youtu.be/gmJ916YybI0
Matias

Post by Matias »

Smoke_333 wrote:Just played it, very good level design. I particularly liked the library, the candlelit corridor, and the room before the cyberdemon fight. However, I would add a little more health near the beginning/middle to make it more forgiving and maybe not have the monster difficulty ramp up as fast. The only issue I noticed is in one of the first rooms the sludge does not do any damage when you stand in it. Other than that its a great level and very well designed.
Thank you! i agree with the health situation and will add some more and i will check that all sludge does damage for the next version. Thank you for the feedback!
DavidN wrote:Incredible for a first map :) Architecture is great, texturing is unusual. I took a video of my run-through with some comments on things that I noticed. (It was done on the first version of the map - you can go back and edit the first post to replace the old link with the new one to make sure people are getting the latest version!)
Thank you for the amazing feedback! Your video is going to be really helpful to improve the map and fix some issues, you also pointed out lots of things i had not even thought about. And definitely have to replace the old link finally
Matias

Post by Matias »

Small update. Bigger update is coming in a week or so

-Fixed some texture alignment issues
-Added Hints to some secrets that didn't have them
-Added more health
-Small architectural tweaks to make some stuff nicer looking
-Changed couple placeholder textures to nicer ones

Download
[Removed, check the first post for latest version]
Matias

Post by Matias »

Huge update, even tho i have moved on to other projects!

- Added completely new area
- More detail added to the starting area
- Changed the final area to give a more interesting fight
- Tons of small changes
- More enemies!

I didn't want to delay release of this version any longer since it has not been changed in around a week, but i still have ideas and improvements for this map so it will still get worked on. All the feedback will be helpful and atleast considered .

after taking some time off i have to say this level now gives me a nice challenge and it's gonna take a new player 18-30 min to beat

Download
[Removed, check the first post for latest version]
Last edited by Matias on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

I just played this through for the first time. Hurt Me Plenty difficulty. 17 minutes 44 seconds. At the end I didn't even try to kill everything, I just made a run to the exit as soon as I could. I did notice that I was able to open the blue skull and yellow skull doors without having obtained those keys, though, so possibly that impacted on my playthrough time. I didn't find any secrets on my run through, and got 89% kills.
Matias

Post by Matias »

Korell wrote:I just played this through for the first time. Hurt Me Plenty difficulty. 17 minutes 44 seconds. At the end I didn't even try to kill everything, I just made a run to the exit as soon as I could. I did notice that I was able to open the blue skull and yellow skull doors without having obtained those keys, though, so possibly that impacted on my playthrough time. I didn't find any secrets on my run through, and got 89% kills.
Thanks for playing! I fixed those doors, that seems to be something i always forget . And for the ending i left the possibility to just run through it on purpose for the people who don't feel like fighting everything

Download
[Removed, Check the original post for latest version]
Last edited by Matias on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronan10G8

Post by Ronan10G8 »

this is a VERY nice wad for somebody's first level
that massive corridor leading up to the cyberdemon looked amazing and i loved that ambush at the exit, and those walls rising from the ground at that area, the level is colored very nicely all around, i love it
Matias

Post by Matias »

Ronan10G8 wrote:this is a VERY nice wad for somebody's first level
that massive corridor leading up to the cyberdemon looked amazing and i loved that ambush at the exit, and those walls rising from the ground at that area, the level is colored very nicely all around, i love it
Thank you so much Ronan! Glad you liked it! and sorry for the late reply

Small update!
-fixed couple mistakes i noticed while watching a youtube playthrough
These mistakes were couple misaligned textures and couple textures that were completely wrong so nothing major but worth fixing

Also you can skip the cyberdemon fight in the final area only if you have the yellow skull key now

Download
[removed, check the first post for latest version]
Last edited by Matias on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ithiria
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ithiria »

It's downright surprising that this is your first level since it's really good.

The only major performance hiccup I personally noticed was a hallway that was lined with torches, my framerate dipped very heavily there. However that may also be down to my graphics options, it's also not toooo big of a deal as there wasn't any fighting there either, and it was quite pretty.
Matias

Post by Matias »

Update Time !

Finally got back to doom mapping so there is no better way to get back going than update your old maps, right?
And it's a good reason to learn slade as well.

Changes:

-Custom sky by Mechadon (Mek's Box 'o Skies v3) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... ore-skies/
-Custom midi by Fookerton (Fookmidi) https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... some-midi/
-Added some more lighting variation
-Added more dynamic lights
-Balancing
-small texture and architectural tweaking

Here is some fresh screenshots. (i already fixed the texture alignment issues that you might see in these)
Spoiler:
i also changed from mediafire to google drive so let me know if i did something wrong with setting up the download

DOWNLOAD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDqX9P ... f8nXZ/view

Return to “Levels”