Proper blood colors for some enemies

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

masterkark

Proper blood colors for some enemies

Post by masterkark »

I think there should be built-in settings to turn Cacodemon's blood blue, Baron's and Knight's green, Spectre's to fuzzy, and Lost Soul to no blood. As a bonus, maybe Revenant with a darker red blood.
Last edited by masterkark on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Proper blood colors for some enemies

Post by Rachael »

These need to be split into separate topics. Having two requests in a single topic has a good chance that neither will ever get worked on since you would have to do both in order to close the ticket.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It was a deliberate choice not to implement such gratuitous changes from the original game.

Post by Guest »

But this is a known issue back from original game, not a choice. Even creators of the original game confirmed that this was their oversight to not implement that feature. I mean, don't you agree that these enemies INDEED supposed to bleed their natural color insted of red?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

We've got 25 years' worth of mods that presuppose the red blood behaviour and work with or around it, including:

1. Do their own translation of red to green blood (zillions of these, take your pick)
2. Have modified baron sprites that give it red blood (at least one version of Brutal Doom)
3. Strongly imply in its internal lore that the cacodemon has a protective layer of red liquid/plastic ablative skin that explodes to divert energy from an impact, which superficially resembles a blood splatter but is not actually the blood that oozes out after it has taken a lethal wound (Hideous Destructor)
4. Have a whole different set of sprites that presuppose that the baron or caco actor bleed red (numerous sprite replacements from the 90s onwards)

What is proposed here can break any number of those.
spacelion88

Post by spacelion88 »

masterkark wrote:I think there should be built-in settings to turn Cacodemon's blood blue, Baron's and Knight's green, Spectre's to fuzzy, and Lost Soul to no blood. As a bonus, maybe Revenant with a darker red blood.
You mean like an option in the menu? That would be pretty neat, but it may conflict with a bunch of mods released that have new blood sprites or gib mechanics.

It is actually pretty simple and easy to change the blood yourself using a DECORATE

(or)

If you are using GZDOOM you can open the GZDoom.pk3 in Slade or other program, and find the Doom monsters' code and add
bloodcolor: "blue"

I changed all blood for all enemies & have played Doom this way for years. Zombies are green, Cacos blue, Chaingunners purple, baron black, Cyberdemon grey, Lost Souls are yellow , Revenants have no blood.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

spacelion88 wrote:If you are using GZDOOM you can open the GZDoom.pk3 in Slade or other program, and find the Doom monsters' code and add
bloodcolor: "blue"...
Most definintely not advised. Don't mess with the distribution files. Make an add-on to load on top of the files instead.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

This would be much simpler to fix if we could change blood color through scripting, without the need to replace entire actors...
Gez

Post by Gez »

The ability to change properties of standard actors without having to replace them is something that will forever remain the exclusive province of DEHACKED.

Or I suppose you could try using event handlers to dynamically alter the properties of every single spawned monster whenever they're spawned.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Yes, pretty much. But blood colors/translations are "special". I've tried to make them modifiable but I was apparently doing it wrong.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”