[mini-mod] Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.8

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Fureyon

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.1 [mini-mod]

Post by Fureyon »

Found another bug: Whilst using Prism Laser on an custom enemy corpse I get a VM Aborted.
Using Colorful Hell v95

Given the timing, I think it's the same bug as we got in version 1.0 with Corpseblast, but this time it's being caused by Prism Laser.

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.

Called from GuncastDamageScript.DamageScriptDeploy at Universal_Guncaster_Adapter.pk3: zscript/genericsupportscripts.txt, line 50
Called from GuncastDamageScript.DoEffect at Universal_Guncaster_adapter.pk3: zscript/genericcustommonsters.txt, line 119
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.2 [mini-mod]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to 1.2
This brings the adapter in line with the bugfixes and changes made to the Vindicated version

-Increased gibbing threshold (harder to gib enemies)
-added a safety check for projectile adapter to deal with special cases (such as winters fury)
-increased gib threshold (harder to gib enemies now.)
-fixed ironblast strat glitch with adapter
-fixed archvile glitch with adapter
Fureyon wrote:Found another bug: Whilst using Prism Laser on an custom enemy corpse I get a VM Aborted.
Using Colorful Hell v95

Given the timing, I think it's the same bug as we got in version 1.0 with Corpseblast, but this time it's being caused by Prism Laser.

Called from GuncastDamageScript.DamageScriptDeploy at Universal_Guncaster_Adapter.pk3: zscript/genericsupportscripts.txt, line 50
Called from GuncastDamageScript.DoEffect at Universal_Guncaster_adapter.pk3: zscript/genericcustommonsters.txt, line 119
Got it fixed, thanks for catching it.
Rowsol

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.2 [mini-mod]

Post by Rowsol »

I'm playing with Pandemonia (I gutted the non-monster stuff) and I'm occasionally getting an error that says "unknown item class longhornmatriarch to drop from a random spawner".
When guys explode from acid instead of always facing me sometimes they are at different angles.
I set a custom cacodemon monster on fire and he wasn't taking any damage from it, the burning afterwards I mean.
I kicked a guy with midas boot while wearing powersuit then shot him with ironblast to finish him off and he turned into a statue. It happened a few more times afterwards. Powersuit probably isn't required.

Okay, it seems certain unique weapons that drop from the monsters can't find a suitable replacement and get removed. I'll just change their drops.
Also, the field kits that enemies drop aren't being replaced with anything, not sure if intentional or how one would even go about coding a replacement for a random custominventory item.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.3 [mini-mod]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

This was a very short lived update...
moving on to version 1.3

-corrected glitches with gibbing and midas deaths
-added a new functionality where this mod will now check to see if you are using the addon, if you are, it spawns superweapons accordingly, if not, it will only spawn Dreadful, Powersuit, or DraughTome.
Rowsol wrote:I'm playing with Pandemonia (I gutted the non-monster stuff) and I'm occasionally getting an error that says "unknown item class longhornmatriarch to drop from a random spawner".
Rowsol wrote:I kicked a guy with midas boot while wearing powersuit then shot him with ironblast to finish him off and he turned into a statue. It happened a few more times afterwards. Powersuit probably isn't required.
both Fixed
Rowsol wrote:When guys explode from acid instead of always facing me sometimes they are at different angles.
They're not supposed to keep facing you as they die.
I may not be understanding the report correctly, a video/gif and detailed explanation would be helpful.
Rowsol wrote:I set a custom cacodemon monster on fire and he wasn't taking any damage from it, the burning afterwards I mean.
I'm pretty sure they are taking damage unless the cacodemon is immune to fire.
This script behaves exactly the same way "Pain.Fire:" works in Guncaster.
The fire ignition effect is easily the simplest part of this entire script, so long as they appear to be on fire, the damage effect is running.
Rowsol wrote:Okay, it seems certain unique weapons that drop from the monsters can't find a suitable replacement and get removed. I'll just change their drops.
Also, the field kits that enemies drop aren't being replaced with anything, not sure if intentional or how one would even go about coding a replacement for a random custominventory item.
I'm working on a solution to this. It may not be possible to fix it, but if it is, I will find a way.

P.S.
Just wanna say thanks to everyone here for helping bug-test this and for all the reports.
This script is essentially a fork of a small piece of Guncaster Vindicated and I don't have enough time to extensively test it on my own, so any bugs I catch are likely a result of problems occuring in the main mod, and stuff unrelated to GCV may go under my radar.
You folks helping test this is what is gonna make sure it gets to a clean and bug-free state! thanks again!
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

"They're not supposed to keep facing you as they die."
Well then it's working as intended.

Here's a small clip showing the guy not taking burning damage. https://youtu.be/VdbV3BQwEas
Here's the code for the monster
Spoiler:
I was also using Mikk's Champions and LegenDoomLite during this but he was neither legendary or a champion so I don't know if that played a role.

Oh, and btw, when I said certain weapons weren't being replaced, I was referencing the error I posted and you fixed, so no worries there.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

I was already wondering when someone would come up with this :D Will definitely check this out later, see how it combines with various mods / map sets.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

So... I have no idea how this happened or how to reproduce. I was playing Evilution with Colorful Hell and one of the maps had a bunch of those custom pinkies (not the CH ones) and I think an archvile got to one while it was exploding into a fine mist of red and wound up resurrecting it. Thing is, that bugged the sprite so I was being attacked by a perpetually exploding pinkie. Didn't cause lag, don't know if it expelled bits of flesh, but it was hilarious :lol:
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Fureyon wrote:So... I have no idea how this happened or how to reproduce. I was playing Evilution with Colorful Hell and one of the maps had a bunch of those custom pinkies (not the CH ones) and I think an archvile got to one while it was exploding into a fine mist of red and wound up resurrecting it. Thing is, that bugged the sprite so I was being attacked by a perpetually exploding pinkie. Didn't cause lag, don't know if it expelled bits of flesh, but it was hilarious :lol:
Is this the current version you're using? that was a bug before I replaced the forced gib animation overrides with an independent actor.
If it's still happening then some other shenanigans are going on. There may be some bad sprite behavior that I failed to account for, I thought the safety check I put in should have dealt with this, but I'll check again.

please also try updating to the current version of the adapter and trying again. If the bug is what I think it is, this bad behavior should occur any time a monster is gibbed and then resurrected by the archvile.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Guess I made a mistake when picking my mods this time around and used an old version. Sorry about that.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.4 [mini-mod]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to version 1.4

applying minor bug fixes for chillgrasp, and some gore fixes
Rowsol

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.4 [mini-mod]

Post by Rowsol »

I'm playing Resurgence and the Afrit isn't dropping any gems or doing anything other than it's stock animations. For some reason the adapter isn't detecting him. He replaces CommanderKeen.

The other custom enemy is the evil marine. He replaces the SS. I manually disabled GC's SS replacement and the evil marine acts appropriately.

Another problem I have deals with archviles resurrecting enemies. They come back as however they died. A guy you blew up will come back as a perpetually exploding corpse. This only happens with monsters that have been "adapted".
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.5 [mini-mod]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to 1.5
This includes some bug fixes to archvile raise states
Rowsol wrote:I'm playing Resurgence and the Afrit isn't dropping any gems or doing anything other than it's stock animations. For some reason the adapter isn't detecting him. He replaces CommanderKeen.

The other custom enemy is the evil marine. He replaces the SS. I manually disabled GC's SS replacement and the evil marine acts appropriately.
Some bad news on this one...
Unfortunately this is out of my hands.

The makers of the Resurgence map pack decided to name the monsters incorrectly. The afrit is actually named "Commander Keen" and evil marines are named "WolfensteinSS". The reason why the marines work is because Guncaster has a different naming scheme for the WolfensteinSS (GuncastWolfensteinSS) and can be avoided properly, however, Commander Keen does not, and the base class name has to be blacklisted.

Examples of monsters being renamed correctly using the same version of DeHackEd as is used in Resurgence can be found in Eviternity and Doom2 The way ID Did.

You can also correct this problem manually by going into the DeHackEd file yourself and just giving the WolfensteinSS and Commander Keen monsters new names.

wildweasel wrote:Dehacked-replaced monsters appear to take precedence over any other replacements. The names in the DEH file are solely for viewing in the DeHackEd editor; the game does not actually do anything with that information, only the Thing Number will affect anything.
I hadn't paid attention to the fact that eviternity actually uses decorate in addition to DeHackEd.
Why? I... I guess I don't wanna know.

I really wanted to avoid flagging commander keen as a monster that'd be handed out this script, since commander keen in DOOM2 is basically just a shootable decoration, but still has the +IsMonster flag. I guess I'll have no choice but to remove him from the blacklist.

Thanks for pointing out the error, I'll get it fixed up and post an update soon.
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Dehacked-replaced monsters appear to take precedence over any other replacements. The names in the DEH file are solely for viewing in the DeHackEd editor; the game does not actually do anything with that information, only the Thing Number will affect anything.

If money drops are to be made fully universal, you'll have to find a way to handle that besides simply replacing the monsters via Decorate. I managed to get a fairly comprehensive system for it in ww-cola3 using KILL scripts (that detect if the script's executor is +ISMONSTER and +COUNTKILL, otherwise they abort the script) that spawn a proportional amount of pickup items depending on the executor's base hit points. I'm sure that can be made to handle other aspects as well.
mpcomp

Post by mpcomp »

Greetings

Am a huge fan of all pillowblaster doom game mods and am grateful to you for making an adapter for making his guncaster mod compatible with majority of monster mods..

that said I have encountered VM aborts for my gameplay and just like previous errors mentioned here the culprit mod is colourfull hell v097 bbb hotfix.

and the spells that cause this crash are apocolypse and scrougebreath.

all other spells including corpse blast and prism laser work like a charm...

here is the error recorded in my gzdoom logfile

Log started: Sat Apr 27 01:21:10 2019

Called from GuncastDamageScript.DoEffect at Universal_Guncaster_Adapter.pk3:zscript/genericcustommonsters.txt, line 101
]exit

my gzdoom version is 3.7.2

the adapter version in use by me is v1.5

Hope it will be fixed soon...

Peace
The Nameless Watcher

Post by The Nameless Watcher »

I am also getting the error reported by mpcomp.

Using Guncaster and its addon, Colourful Hell 0.97ccc fiiix , and 1.5 of this addon. Playing on Ancient Aliens if that helps at all.
I am using GZdoom 4.0 however. The same spells caused the problems for me, but prism laser caused it as well. Can't verify corpse blast.

I will say that even with this error this is still incredibly awesome.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”