GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nash

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by Nash »

Remmirath wrote:Thank you for the fix. Also thank you for this awesome feature. You might've opened a new frontier of mapping: if this feature skyrockets, the amount of non orthogonal mapping might grow exponentially in the future! :)
Indeed! This feature reminds me of Skyrim/Fallout's Creation Kit "snap to reference" feature where you could just build by snapping the level to something that's from an arbitrary angle and position. Really helps with that organic feel!

Would be cool if, when grid rotation is not at default, the ceiling and floor flat texture rotations would automatically rotate to follow the grid? I'm probably asking too much though, heh. =P

Again, thanks for your hard work, Volte!
Volte

Post by Volte »

Glad people like it!
Nash wrote:Would be cool if, when grid rotation is not at default, the ceiling and floor flat texture rotations would automatically rotate to follow the grid? I'm probably asking too much though, heh. =P
That's a definite possibility. Doing some experimenting, it seems that surface rotation of newly placed isolated sectors is always zero, so it would be enough to affect new sectors that don't touch any other sectors right? Otherwise it might step on the existing behaviour of getting rotation from adjacent sectors.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Volte wrote:Doing some experimenting, it seems that surface rotation of newly placed isolated sectors is always zero, so it would be enough to affect new sectors that don't touch any other sectors right? Otherwise it might step on the existing behaviour of getting rotation from adjacent sectors.
Yeah, I think that ought to do it. At least in my imagination!
Volte

Post by Volte »

For anyone who is willing/able to compile it themselves, the ui-items branch of my fork has toolbar buttons for the grid rotation stuff: https://i.imgur.com/rHDULfK.png. Once the pending pull request to fix the freeze-on-load issue is merged, I'll rebase and make one for this change (and possibly throw in the auto-flat-rotation feature if it isn't too difficult). Also I'm not so good at making icons so if someone wants to make better ones I have no problem replacing them.
Nash

Post by Nash »

The icons look fine, IMO. They're placed right beside the familiar grid tools, have grid-ey looking pixels so it's a clear indication that "maybe these are grid-related buttons". :)
Daryn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Professional X64
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Daryn »

Hello.

I've run into an error with GZDoomBuilder Bugfix that's proving to be really annoying. Namely, I can't load or save files. Any time I open up a file open or file save box, I get this:

Code: Select all

***********SYSTEM INFO***********
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
GZDB: R3045
Platform: x64

********EXCEPTION DETAILS********
Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {DC1C5A9C-E88A-4DDE-A5A1-60F82A20AEF7} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80040111 ClassFactory cannot supply requested class (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040111 (CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE)).
   at System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog.CreateVistaDialog()
   at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.RunDialogVista(IntPtr hWndOwner)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.OpenMap()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.Action.Begin()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.BeginActionByKey(Int32 key, Boolean repeated)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.KeyPressed(Int32 key)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.MainForm_KeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
After a good bit of head-scratching, I figured out the issue. There's some sort of weird bug with the WPF call here. If I switch off of my high-contrast desktop theme, I can load and save just fine. So I need to open GZDB, switch off of my high contrast theme, load my wad, switch back to high-contrast, and then work.

There are two ways to replicate this problem.

First, change Windows 10 to High ontrast mode.
Or, right click on builder.exe and go to the compatibility tab, then check "Disable visual themes". Both of these will throw up this error.

From what I can gather, this is fixable. SLADE doesn't have this problem, and I saw a post on StackOverflow with an alternate method for bringing up file dialogs.

If this could be looked at, it'd make my life a whole lot easier.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

There is a serious problem with DoorSwing when used from a linedef.

The WIKI states that using a negative value for speed would turn the po clockwise. And indeed, GZDBBF provides negative values for speed, but, as soon as one clicks on OK that negative value is set to 0 and the po does not move.

Using a negative value in a script, however, works just fine.
Attachments
poly-swing.WAD
test example
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

Note that Hexen format does not support negative values in parameters, they're limited to the 0-255 range.
Empyre

Post by Empyre »

Adding to what Gez said, UDMF does allow negative values in parameters. If I recall correctly, they are signed 16-bit, so -32768 to +32767.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Gez wrote:Note that Hexen format does not support negative values in parameters, they're limited to the 0-255 range.
Empyre wrote:Adding to what Gez said, UDMF does allow negative values in parameters. If I recall correctly, they are signed 16-bit, so -32768 to +32767.
Thank you for pointing that out.
However, in Hexen format the dropdown menu does show negative values (CW)
Spoiler:
and that should be corrected.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I don't know if this is the place to put this, but I've noticed Unhandled Exceptions with the 3D floors plugin in the latest build of GZDB. Since it seems to break with every change to the main editor since its creation, I have to wonder if it'd be better off implemented as a part of the editor itself.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

I just tried to construct a 3D sector with the ThreeDFloorMode-x64 plugin in GZDoom_Builder_Bugfix-r3045-x64 and, same as Jaxxoon R, the editor crashed. Maybe not for the same reason, for me when trying to drag the control sector out of the way:

GZDoom_Builder_Bugfix-r3041-x64 works fine though.
Attachments
GZCrash.txt
(14.36 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Is there a quick way to find any line actions that do not have an activation type (but which should)?

The reason I ask is because I have noticed that when I paste a ZDoomHexen format map into UDMF mode, lines which had "player walks over" activation types lose their activation type information.

I am assuming that's because the data between the two formats is incompatible somehow. It wouldn't be a problem if I could find a way of getting GZDB to flag up such lines, but I can't see anything.

Obviously GZDB knows it's a problem because when I go to edit such a line, the dialogue looks like this:

A little <!> and lots of red type in the activation section.

However, when I run the error checker, these lines do not flag up and there doesn't seem to be any option to enable such a check:

So, can it be done?

If not, is it something that could be added?
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

That's a fantastic idea - I bet it's fairly straightforward! I'll have a look at adding that unless someone else gets to it first.

I've been playing about with a "texture palette" feature as well because I rarely use the group selections on the number keys - I've added controls to replace those by pressing, for example, Ctrl+[number] to grab a texture in the 3D view and then that same number to paste it on to whatever's selected. It's like an even faster Ctrl+right clock, so that you can put SUPPORT textures on to your windows and so on without having to bring up the dialogue every time. I'm not sure if the current texture palette should be saved with the map's DBS, or in the GZDB configuration, or at all.
Last edited by DavidN on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DavidN wrote:That's a fantastic idea - I bet it's fairly straightforward! I'll have a look at adding that unless someone else gets to it first.
That would be really cool, thanks. :D

A few more questions for anyone who is more familiar with GZDB than me; this time relating to the 3D viewing mode.

Is it possible to set an option somewhere to not see any map-placed actors (enemies, decorations etc)? Most of the time it's very useful to have them present, but sometimes they get in the way when I am trying to work with textures (especially in a map with lots of things) and it would be nice to not have them show up sometimes. (The 3D mode in DeePsea allowed this, so I'm kind of used to it.)

Is there some way of displaying the map full-bright while in the 3D editor (without actually altering the light levels in the map)? Sometimes maps are pretty dark and it can make seeing the finer details whilst tweaking offsets or whatever quite difficult. Again, to hark back to DeePsea, it actually uses a modified version of Risen3D as its 3D mode and hitting F11 toggles the light-amp effect (the original vanilla full-bright effect, not the GZDoom NVG effect). It can be very useful, as Tolkien might have put it "May F11 be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out." Or something. :lol:

And finally, is it possible to temporarily not have whatever you are looking at be highlighted in yellow? It can be quite frustrating to step back to try and look at your work, to see how some alignment or whatever looks only to have the thing in the centre of your field of view with such a strong highlight on it, you can't really see your handiwork properly at all. Again, the yellow highlight is really useful most of the time but sometimes, and just for short periods, it would be useful to be able to switch it off so that I could actually see the walls/floors properly.

I'm going to guess that some, if not all, of these things can already be done - I just can't find how to do them.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”