What Is the GZDoom Strife Dialog Format v1.0?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Master O

What Is the GZDoom Strife Dialog Format v1.0?

Post by Master O »

Based on the github below:

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... 4a05532f1b

What does the GZDoom Strife Dialog Format specifically do?
Nash

Re: What Is the GZDoom Strife Dialog Format v1.0?

Post by Nash »

The biggest change so far is that pages can be named using strings, and links can take in a string referring to the name of the page to link to.

Take the following sample conversation file: https://hastebin.com/unevuroxac.php

If you want to do any kind of complex dialog scripting with dynamic choices and outcomes, automatic page numbers in the previous format simply wouldn't fly. It would be too cumbersome to edit.

With page names, things become MUCH more manageable.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

One thing I should've done when designing this was allow you to specify the page name before the opening curly brace (like how you define actors in DECORATE), rather than require a separate entry for it.

[/lessons-learned]
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rachael wrote:One thing I should've done when designing this was allow you to specify the page name before the opening curly brace (like how you define actors in DECORATE), rather than require a separate entry for it.

[/lessons-learned]
There's still time to change it... I think I'm the only one using this feature so far, LOL. Although IMO that's too drastic of a change from the USDF spec (I don't recall other blocks using such a method) so I'm not sure how that'd fit in the grand consistency of things...

Return to “General”