DOOM Expanded [New Release Pending]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

DOOM Expanded [New Release Pending]

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

DESMLTPIC.png
DESMLTPIC.png (42.31 KiB) Viewed 430 times

"The Scariest Monsters Are the Ones That Lurk Within Our Souls."

-Edgar Allan Poe

A new release is coming soon...
Last edited by BlueFireZ88 on Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 30 times in total.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: DOOM EXP (Public Beta)

Post by TDRR »

What a coincidence, just a few days ago i was replaying this! Neat to see it come back, for a while at least.

When it's complete, is it ok if i make a Zandronum compatible version?

Also, why don't you make the SSG spawn at some places in Doom 1? Would be better with a CVAR toggle, just in case.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Once Beta month is over, by all means, make a Zandronum version! Just so you know, EXP uses older decorate, so as long as the source port has been updated frequently enough, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

In regards to the SSG, I did try some Randomizer coding with some features that ultimately got cut. It never worked out as I couldn't get it to work the way I it wanted to.

Worst case scenario, try opening the console and use "summon ssg".

If someone can suggest a method that could work, I'm all ears.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Once Beta month is over, by all means, make a Zandronum version! Just so you know, EXP uses older decorate, so as long as the source port has been updated frequently enough, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

In regards to the SSG, I did try some Randomizer coding with some features that ultimately got cut. It never worked out as I couldn't get it to work the way I it wanted to.
I meant like doing a map check and then spawning the SSG. As in, checking the position of a decorative object (should use two just in case) and if they match up, spawn a SSG at the desired location.

If you don't know how to do this, i can show you. It's quite easy but can be a bit tedious having to come up with a good spot for the SSG.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@TDRR

Another option would be to check if maps have more than one shotgun placed in them and if they do, make one of them an SSG or check the player's inventory if he's packing a shotgun from the previous level and if he does replace all upcoming shotguns with SSGs.

This is basically an inversion of Marshmallow Doom's "-delayssg x" parameter, where x is the number of the map where the SSG should first appear. Before that, every SSG is replaced with a normal shotgun.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

For this mod not to be confused with this mod, which has the same title, I'd suggest expanding the title.
BlueFireZ88

Re: DOOM EXP (Formerly DOOM Expanded, Public Beta)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

@TDRR & DabbingSquidward

In regards to the SSG:

I do agree that the SG should be the equivalent in code. But I would like to have it (and the BFG/Unmaker) as configurable CVARs. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know how to set them up at all, which is why you haven't seen any up to this point.
m8f wrote:For this mod not to be confused with this mod, which has the same title, I'd suggest expanding the title.
Figures someone would have an XP based mod. Can't say it didn't occur to me. Okay, fixed the thread title.
TDRR

Re: DOOM EXP (Formerly DOOM Expanded, Public Beta)

Post by TDRR »

BlueFireZ88 wrote: I do agree that the SG should be the equivalent in code. But I would like to have it (and the BFG/Unmaker) as configurable CVARs. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know how to set them up at all, which is why you haven't seen any up to this point.
Depends, if you are going to have them as randomspawners, then first you need to set them up lke this: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=62742 (the GZD 1.8.6 method specifically)

After that, define a cvar, using CVARINFO
For this example i'm naming it exp_newweapons, you should make it serverside and a boolean value.

Make a ACS script like this:

Code: Select all

Script Checkexp_newweapons (void)
{
SetResultValue(GetCvar("exp_newweapons"));
}
This code serves as a checker for the CVAR, to be used in DECORATE. There's a newer way to do it, but it doesn't work with Zandronum.

Now, add this:

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(ACS_NamedExecuteWithResult(Checkexp_newweapons) == 0, "Spawn")
to the random weapon spawner you made before, like this: (remember this is an example and obviously you need to change it for this mod specifically)

Actor CustomStuffSpawner : Inventory //This gives us access to the following two properties and also makes it respawn after a period of time
{
+INVENTORY.ALWAYSPICKUP //So that it can be picked up indefinitely
Inventory.PickupMessage "" //This is so we don't know we picked up an actor besides our weapon/item
   States
   {
   Spawn:
      TNT1 A 0
      TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(128,2) //50-50 chance to spawn the next item
      TNT1 A 1 A_SpawnItemEx("Shotgun", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL|SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS, 0, tid) //Spawn item inbetween quotes
      Goto Death
      TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(ACS_NamedExecuteWithResult(Checkexp_newweapons) == 0, "Spawn") //CVAR tells us to not spawn SSG? Roll the dice again.
      TNT1 A 1 A_SpawnItemEx("SuperShotgun", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL|SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS, 0, tid) //Spawn item again
      Goto Death

Death:
      TNT1 A -1 //Wait to be picked up
      Stop
   }
I would still recommend manually placing the SSG in Doom 1 maps, but okay.
Korell

Re: DOOM EXP (DOOM Expanded, Public Beta)

Post by Korell »

Just played through Knee Deep In The Dead with this mod and I really liked it. It felt very vanilla yet improved by the higher quality sounds and effects, and I noticed that the bullet marks on walls appear at the position of the crosshair rather than slightly below it as GZDoom does when no mods are applied, so I'm guessing you did some kind of correction to to this, though it only seems to be corrected for the pistol, shotguns and chaingun as the other weapons (rocket, plasma, BFG and Unmaker) still seem to be slightly below the crosshair. I didn't experience any bugs in my playthrough of the episode.

As for the SSG conversation happening here, I don't mind whether or not you make it show up in the Doom 1 maps, though if you can, it be better to save the setting to a variable to allow players to choose whether or not it can show up in Doom 1 maps. I have seen a mod that did this but I can't remember what it was.

Lastly, I'm just wondering why you recommend setting the Sprite Billboard setting to the X/Y Axis. Although it is more accurate to vanilla Doom, I find that it looks very wrong if you have freelook enabled in GZDoom, and I always prefer to use freelook with no autoaim (and I then add a crosshair) so that the aiming is all down to me. So that setting I left to just the Y Axis option.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

@TDRR

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nsa1ga9yz ... G.wad/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qojfbhbki ... r.wad/file

I was able to make a couple of separate wads containing randomizers for the Shotgun/SuperShotgun and the BFG/Unmaker. Both which seem to work just fine.

Mind you these were the more modern randomizers, and while I was able to get it working with your style, I couldn't get anything ACS up and running. So if you'd like to look at what I made and try to adapt it, your welcome to.

@Korell
I remember a LONG time ago that I was messing around with that, and I was testing it again to remember why I left it like that in the first place. To this, I can't entirely recall and will proceed to look into adjusting sprite offset and custom missile pitch.

Correction: I can recall why, I was trying to strike a balance between the projectiles (Rocket/Plasma/BFG Ball) appearing from the gun, and appearing where the crosshair is (i.e. in midair). It doesn't look good at all if it's centered on the crosshair, as like say with the Plasma, it would appear to be coming from the center of the screen, rather than the Plasma gun. I'll at least try and tighten this up a bit.

In terms of the Axis setting, I've always preferred it as X/Y as looking straight down at the sprites and seeing basically flat images always drove me nuts. And yes, I know that it can cause some graphical issues with various effects, but I just think it's down to personal preference. The recommended settings are more akin to guidelines than strict rules, you don't have to follow them.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

BlueFireZ88 wrote: I was able to make a couple of separate wads containing randomizers for the Shotgun/SuperShotgun and the BFG/Unmaker. Both which seem to work just fine.

Mind you these were the more modern randomizers, and while I was able to get it working with your style, I couldn't get anything ACS up and running. So if you'd like to look at what I made and try to adapt it, your welcome to.
Okay, i'm going to make one like DabbingSquidward mentioned, which is a simple check for the player's inventory, and if it has a Shotgun then make subsequent Shotgun pickups a SSG instead.

Maybe later i will try to come up with better places to put the SSG in. Maybe secret areas, rewarding the player with it? Same with the Unmaker in episode 3.

EDIT: I'm thinking your ACS problem was merely a mistake of not using LOADACS, along with maybe not compiling the scripts.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

TDRR wrote: Maybe later i will try to come up with better places to put the SSG in. Maybe secret areas, rewarding the player with it? Same with the Unmaker in episode 3.

EDIT: I'm thinking your ACS problem was merely a mistake of not using LOADACS, along with maybe not compiling the scripts.
Doesn't that require actually editing the maps? That's a bit beyond the scope of this project (this ain't Brutal Doom after all). Unless you know of a way to pull this off in code.

In regards to ACS, I've honestly avoided using it as I've have never understood how to use it properly (maybe gotten it to work once or twice). I mainly focused on what I did know how to do, and that's the product you got now. And yes, there's a little ACS in there, but someone else wrote that to help me fix a bug with dropped ammo early on. So for this, I won't pretend I understand ACS, but I'm doing what I can given what knowledge I've had to learn in building this mod. I'm just straight up asking for help on that side is all.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

BlueFireZ88 wrote: Doesn't that require actually editing the maps? That's a bit beyond the scope of this project (this ain't Brutal Doom after all). Unless you know of a way to pull this off in code.

In regards to ACS, I've honestly avoided using it as I've have never understood how to use it properly (maybe gotten it to work once or twice). I mainly focused on what I did know how to do, and that's the product you got now. And yes, there's a little ACS in there, but someone else wrote that to help me fix a bug with dropped ammo early on. So for this, I won't pretend I understand ACS, but I'm doing what I can given what knowledge I've had to learn in building this mod. I'm just straight up asking for help on that side is all.
Of course not, i check for the position of decorative actors, and then use the Spawn function to put the SSG somewhere in the map, in the coords i specify. This is how Brutal Doom's map enhancement script works, not by actually editing the maps.

Ok, i can write the script for you, but if you can come up with good places to put the SSG in that would be nice. Maybe also include support for Doom the way ID did?
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

TDRR wrote: Of course not, i check for the position of decorative actors, and then use the Spawn function to put the SSG somewhere in the map, in the coords i specify. This is how Brutal Doom's map enhancement script works, not by actually editing the maps.

Ok, i can write the script for you, but if you can come up with good places to put the SSG in that would be nice. Maybe also include support for Doom the way ID did?
I was honestly more hoping more for a CVAR which controlled the randomizers I made. It gives the SSG a 25% chance of appearing in place of a normal SG in map pickup, which is enough for what I'm going for.

I'd rather not go into that much research for just one thing.
BlueFireZ88

Re: DOOM Expanded 2.0 (DOOM EXP, Public Beta)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I have some some announcements to make regarding the project I feel need to be made.

First, and most obviously, is a name change. Previously, our user friend m8f pointed out this mod and that my original plan was posting EXP to Doomworld once the beta was over. That being said, I changed the name to avoid causing confusion between my mod and the one by Officer D. This was not an easy decision to make as I have grown attached to the abbreviated name after using it for so long. I opted to go back to the original name, or more specifically, the updated version of the name (Expanded 2.0) for all public releases from now on. In mod graphics have been changed to reflect this, and I have reuploaded the Beta to the first post with those changes.

However, these aren't the only changes:
1.@Korell, I have adjusted the projectile weapons (RL, PR, BFG, U) to try and be as close to the source port crosshair as possible. This is to strike a balance and avoid the projectile sprites from appearing from the middle of the screen rather from the guns themselves (like they did in unaltered Vanilla Doom).
2.I lowered the limit on Torch/Burn Barrel/Lost Soul burning sounds from 10 to 4 as there were issues with sound overlapping.

I haven't encountered any other issues so far, but please continue to post any encountered issues or concerns here on the thread.

One other thing:
I plan to have the Beta go until Sunday, the 17th of March (St.Patty's Day), for which I'll be posting the Final version with all extras added.

@TDRR
If your still interested in your Doom 1/Ultimate Super Shotgun coding project my good Sir, I'd be willing to integrate it in on the grounds that your willing to do the heavy coding. As I've mentioned before, I'm pretty decent with DECORATE, but I'm no good with Zscript or ACS. So if your really that gun-hoe about it, just let me know what you need.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”