(HELP) Textures override folder names

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

(HELP) Textures override folder names

Post by hoover1979 »

Hi. I am working on an UltraHD Texture pack for Doom and I just noticed GZDoom performs better if the textures are in a folder instead of PK3's. My texture pack had 5 files one main PK3 and 4 game specific override PK3's. At the moment only the main file has been extracted into the TEXTURES folder. I was wondering if a GZDoom dev or someone that is in the know can let me know what subfolder names I need to use to get the game specific overrides to work using the textures folder instead of PK3's.

If I can get the whole pack to work from a TEXTURES folder it will make it much easier for people to get my pack to work, just extract the TEXTURES folder into GZDoom and done. This way people won't have to faff around with batch files to get the textures up and running as well as the performance gain they will get from the pack no longer being in compressed files. The subfolder structure used in the RISEN3D engine doesn't work in GZDoom and it means Doom 1, Plutonia and TNT use Doom 2 skies and the game specific textures don't show up.

So what would I name the 4 subfolders inside the TEXTURES folder so the texture pack works properly for Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT?

Thanking in advance.

HOOVER1979
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: (HELP) Textures override folder names

Post by wildweasel »

I suspect you have it backwards; you create a filter folder at the root level, then you can create a TEXTURES folder inside of that, and then drop in all the stuff that should only load if that game is loaded.

[edit] It'd look a bit like this, structurally:
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Thanks for the fast reply. :mrgreen:

Most of the textures are in the main file and then there are 4 small override files. If I used the filter structure I would need to know exactly which textures are used in each game and split everything up. The main textures file is over 2Gb so I don't want to use it 4 times as textures folders inside a filter folder. Is there a way to just have 4 override folders inside the textures folder and extract the smaller game-specific overrides into those subfolders and keep the main files in the TEXTURES folder. This is the case with Risen3D and it works fine for that engine, but GZDoom isn't detecting the subfolders if I use the same names that Risen3D uses. Are there GZDoom specific names I can use for the subfolders so it ends up like.

GZDoom\
GZDoom\TEXTURES \
GZDoom\TEXTURES\Doom1\
GZDoom\TEXTURES\Doom2\
GZDoom\TEXTURES\Plutonia\
GZDoom\TEXTURES\TNT\

Of course, the subfolders inside TEXTURES are incorrectly named in this demonstration.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I got lucky with Doom's folder being "TEXTURES\doom" but I still can't get Doom 2, The Plutonia Experiment and Evilution to work ("TEXTURES\doom.doom2", "TEXTURES\doom.plutonia" and "TEXTURES\doom.tnt" are incorrect folder names), without resorting to PK3's for the overrides. Does anyone know what the folder names for Doom2, Plutonia, and TNT? At the moment the Doom 1 overrides are being loaded into every game now.

EDIT: Doom 2 is "TEXTURES\doom\doom2". I still can't get Plutonia or TNT to work though.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Have you tested the performance when creating a zip file where compression is intentionally turned off? Theoretically the overhead of using a zip file should be virtually non-existent if the individual file entries are stored as raw.

Generally speaking, GZDoom just hasn't been built for loading large textures. The texture manager doesn't use the worker threads required to make it work seamlessly like you see in modern engines, and while it does have the concept of hires textures it doesn't use lowres as fallback to keep frame rates smooth.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

It has gotten to the point that the main textures file has to be a folder now. After the last few textures, I made the file got too big for GZDoom, so it got bypassed and the textures no longer loaded. I checked to see if there was any corruption of the file by making a new PK3 with all the files being added at once and still none of the textures from the main file loaded. I just need to get the overrides to run in folder format now, this way when I make enough textures for a 3rd demo, people can just unzip the contents straight into GZDoom and the textures will autoload. Then I don't need to upload batch files when people say they downloaded the mod but couldn't install it. I got Doom and Doom 2 working in folder format, but I can't get Plutonia or TNT to work as I don't know what to name the folders for these games override files.

As both Plutonia and TNT are now using Doom 2 skies (they used Doom 1 before I put the Doom 2 override into TEXTURES\Doom\Doom2\ and placed the doom 2 skies in the doom 2 override folder). I figured the Plutonia and TNT folders need to be inside TEXTURES\Doom\Doom2\ but None of the names I guessed worked and I am completely out of ideas as I can't find the name the folders need to be via any Google search I try.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

TEXTURES\Doom\Doom2 is incorrect. Try Filter\Doom.Doom2\Textures instead.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

where would I put the main textures (over 2Gb) under that file structure? Would I have to use them 4 times and blow the filesize up to over 8Gb (for a demo)? Does anyone know the folder names GZDoom uses for Plutonia/TNT?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Filter/Doom.Doom2 is valid for Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Graf Zahl wrote:Filter/Doom.Doom2 is valid for Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia.
So if I put the Plutonia and TNT overrides in the doom 2 texture folder it will work? How do I get the Plutonia and TNT skies to differ from Doom 2 then?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

For those you need doom.doom2.plutonia and doom.doom2.tnt - Doom 2 specifically (excluding the Final Doom games) is doom.doom2.commercial.

The full list of filter names is here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Lump_filtering
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I tried filters\textures, filters\doom, filters\doom.doom2.commercial, filters\doom.doom2.plutonia and filters\doom.doom2.tnt and no HD textures are loading in any of the games at all. What have I done wrong (I hope I don't have to have 4 copies of the main 2Gb+ folder for each game).

I am using .PNG textures, not .LMP files. Does the filters folder structure only work with LMP files? and if so how do I get all 4 doom games to run via a folder structure for .PNG files?
Last edited by hoover1979 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Okay, again, for Doom 2 specific textures, you want /filter/doom.doom2.commercial/textures/. Ensure that it's "filter" with no S, that the game name is the very next one, then treat everything inside of that as if it was its own root folder.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

wildweasel wrote:Okay, again, for Doom 2 specific textures, you want /filter/doom.doom2.commercial/textures/. Ensure that it's "filter" with no S, that the game name is the very next one, then treat everything inside of that as if it was its own root folder.
The folder was "filter". The pluralistic typo was in this forum, not the folder, sorry for that.

But does this mean the main load of textures (2Gb+) have to be used 4 times? I want it set up where I have the main textures in one folder and the override textures in folders that GZDoom recognizes so I don't have doom 1 skies on doom 2, Plutonia experiment and Evilution. Or does using the "filter" folder structure require the textures to be carved up into lumps, for the game to combine like I think the original DOS Doom did from the WAD files?

I don't want the 2Gb+ load of main textures to blow out to 8Gb+ via duplication. Most of the textures in my pack are in a single folder as I used the original DHTP as a files guide as I can't open anything with SLADE (WAD, PK3, you name it) without it crashing out with an unhandled exception error, so I don't know which textures are only used in each game to split them out. Each texture is a single PNG file and not made out of multiple lumps for the game to combine into textures.

I can get doom 1 and 2 to work by using "Textures\Doom" and "Textures\doom\doom2" (the main 2Gb+ load of textures are in the "textures" folder), but no matter what I try, Plutonia and TNT's overrides won't get detected by GZDoom and they use Doom2's overrides instead. As a result, I have to use them as PK3 files and get stutters whenever the textures in those files are used in a map.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Hoover, you'll still need to make a folder called 'hires' where you put the 'textures' folder into (inside each respective PK3 file). Otherwise the textures might be displayed with improper scaling.

So, for the main file: filter\doom\hires\textures
Doom 1: filter\doom.doom1\hires\textures
Doom 2: filter\doom.doom2.commercial\hires\textures

You do not need to put the 2GB of textures in every file, but you need to give every file the filter\ folder structure.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”