[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Clay

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Clay »

Its modeled after a G36k
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

centered struggle glock. yeah.
Attachments
3FtlDje.png
3FtlDje.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
keeper

Post by keeper »

Hi, I'm a relatively new user who haven't been here in a while, but here are some monster sprites that I edited.
Attachments
archie.png
scaryimp.png
ubersoldat.png
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:[/img]
She's shy. Be nice to her.
https://media.giphy.com/media/9e1VPfBaNvvEY/giphy.gif
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:She's shy. Be nice to her.
Huh, didn't exactly expect to see one of my waifus that here.
MoonTurtle

Post by MoonTurtle »

Hello!

I've been trying to do my own pixel art of Doom just like the ones shown here, but I've been wondering if the tools I've been using is the best for this sort of thing,

I've been using Slade 3 (for palette convertions) and Graphicsgale,(for actually drawing the art)

Is this the best way to draw sprites/textures? I've heard people say that GIMP is a great tool, but personally its a bit confusing, and not as easy to use as Microsoft Paint and Graphcsgale.

Now I've also seen people make sprites and textures by other means, in the case of weapon sprites, either by using Blender (3D graphics program) to make the weapons as a 3D model, or in rare cases by taking a picture of their own hand holding a toy gun, digitizing it, and using a graphics program to edit the picture to their liking, this being the way id Software themselves used for the weapons and enemy sprites,and was also done (to some extent) for the enemy sprites for Doom 64, is a creative way of doing art for video games, this technique is also using for NPCs, similar to ROTT)

But I personally like to do my art by hand, and because I'm not that great at making 3D models in any 3D graphics program. I tend to do everything through Microsoft Paint or Graphicsgale,

But is this the ideal way to do pixel art? my own tend to look extremely basic, I'm not that great at gradients and my color selecting is not all that great, thanks to my inexperience with pixel art.

Another thing about me is that I tend to like making my own art, something I notice in the Spriting Carnival is that the art is sometimes made of previously existing assets as a base, which is fine, but I wanted to create my own art from scratch, but the issues listed above kind of discourage me from doing so, so I end up using sprites from other games/wads/mods as placeholders or even as a base for the artwork itself.

Another thing is the Doom palette itself, I like it overall, but the style I'm mainly going for is a bit more grittier, dirtier, Sci-Fi look, but the standard Doom palette is a bit too bright for my taste, I did, naturally, try to change the palette around to fit what I wanted to go for, (like making the browns and greys slightly darker, giving the skintone colors a slight pink tint, and I have yet to completely add teal (partially added in at the moment), and try to make the dark blue colors look more like the dark blue seem in the Duke3D and ShadowWarrior palettes, so the water would have a more natural look, but the whole palette turned out really messy,

But my main question is, what is the best tool(s) for sprite creation/editing? it almost seems extremely easy for some of you when it comes to sprite-editing? like I said, I use Slade 3 and Graphicsgale, but are they the best for creating sprites?
Gez

Post by Gez »

MoonTurtle wrote:But my main question is, what is the best tool(s) for sprite creation/editing?
Whatever you're most comfortable with. There's no absolute best tool, because the tool is just one small part of the equation: the general workflow matters more.
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Jumping on the above, I wanted to ask if someone can point me in the right direction here, I want to draw on top of the tyrant imps i made before to make 'em fit the Doom style, because as they are it's 3D edited on the sprites, making a blend that doesn't look right among the rest of the Doom sprites. Making them fit would also help me draw the rest of the frames, I suppose.
To that end, any steps for the style?
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

Stick em in paint.net,gimp or photoshop, select the area around them and invert selection, then have at them with the brush tool set to a low opacity and whatever colour the area you're working on is. You can mess around with the blending mode too, overlay is really good for adding blood and multiply is good for burned areas
edit.png
edit.png (17.76 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
right is original, left is polished
VriskaSerket

Post by VriskaSerket »

Skelegant wrote:Stick em in paint.net,gimp or photoshop, select the area around them and invert selection, then have at them with the brush tool set to a low opacity and whatever colour the area you're working on is. You can mess around with the blending mode too, overlay is really good for adding blood and multiply is good for burned areas
The attachment edit.png is no longer available
right is original, left is polished
Oh damn, that looks good
Thanks bucko, I'll play around with that!
EDIT:
Alright, I did some quick tests 'cause I don't have a lot of time right now, so... how are these?
Attachments
woop
woop
tests.png (19.16 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

keeper wrote:Hi, I'm a relatively new user who haven't been here in a while, but here are some monster sprites that I edited.
Cool stuff! Keep it up. :)
Bugsbunny205

Post by Bugsbunny205 »

Ayy how's my Super Void Blackhole Launcher sprite?

(It somehow feels Project Brutality style a bit like, but still great for me.)
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

VriskaSerket wrote: Alright, I did some quick tests 'cause I don't have a lot of time right now, so... how are these?
Pretty good, although I'd suggest you make the pixels around the edges a little darker to make them look more 3d
impz.png
impz.png (17.79 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that's some good improvement. Nice job, y'all! And i somehow hope to see the Nemesis with Big Guns now!
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Another thing to keep in mind when doing Doom art in particular: Don't get too hung up over whether it's "Doomy enough". The game includes a number of different art sources, including digitized photos, colored (clay) models, and hand-drawn objects. Don't get too hung up over making it "fit in".

Return to “General”