Specific textures flickering in Void & Rainbow

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Specific textures flickering in Void & Rainbow

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Uncertain exactly what causes this. Certain textures with a custom shader applied to them are rendering very incorrectly in GZDoom 3.7.0 and up, but appear correct in 3.6.0.
This doesn't happen in any software renderer (since they don't use texture shaders...)

I've isolated the problem in a small test map (it's a bit shoddily put together but demonstrates the problem just fine)

Here's how the glitch looks, in 3.7.2:

Here's how it should look, in 3.6.0:

I am using an NVIDIA GPU on Windows 10. No other files are loaded besides those that come with gzdoom.

Here is the minimal test map:
test.pk3
(54.1 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
I tried looking to see if this had already been reported, but none of the existing reports seemed to describe the same problem and didn't show any issues when I tested them.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Specific textures flickering in Void & Rainbow

Post by phantombeta »

This seems to have something to do with the usage of "uObjectColor2" in the shader. Removing the "if" statement and leaving only "texelTest *= uObjectColor;" makes it work perfectly fine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem actually looks to be glowdist.z.

No glow, no glowdist.z!
The code had to be changed a bit to implement Doom 64 lighting and what was glowdist is now two variables, i.e. glowdist and gradientdist, so that both features can be combined. This 'mix' instruction should use the newly added gradientdist which gets calculated for use with objectColor2.

Sorry, but this falls under 'can't fix'. It'd break a more recent engine feature if this was reverted. That's the risk you take when using undocumented features from the shader. In fact I can almost guarantee that this code won't survive the next refactoring of the shader anyway because the internal organization of these variables will change quite drastically, and possibly break lots of mods that poke around too deeply in engine internals.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Well, phantombeta's post prompted me to do more digging and I came to that exact conclusion. It causes issues no matter what 2 values are interpolated between. Is glowdist initialized to zeroes or is it never assigned?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If there are no glows it never gets assigned.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”