Which version dropped xp support? (unless my info is wrong)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

Which version dropped xp support? (unless my info is wrong)

Post by invictius »

Not really a legacy question, had a look at the change notes and couldn't find anything. I have an explorer extension that reports the minimum windows version to run a given exe, and it's telling me vista for 3.7.1. I don't want to clutter my desktop with unzipping and checking each prior version without knowing if this tool is reporting accurately. Not a concern of mine, have been expecting the change for a while (but thought minimum would jump straight to 7)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Which version dropped xp support? (unless my info is wro

Post by Rachael »

Officially, XP support is alive and well, but only in 32-bit versions of GZDoom.

64-bit XP is incredibly rare so the decision was made not to directly support it - but that can still run the 32-bit version of GZDoom anyhow. That decision came sometime after 3.0.0 but before 3.4.0.

To figure out which versions had 64-bit XP support it would be necessary to get a PE image analyzer that can read the kernel version minimum setting, or learn its offset and use a hex editor to find it.

(edit: according to this commit that happened before 3.3.0's release, so 3.2.x were the final versions to have 64-bit XP support)
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Rachael wrote:64-bit XP is incredibly rare so the decision was made not to directly support it - but that can still run the 32-bit version of GZDoom anyhow
Do note that you absolutely need to pass the +vm_jit 0 parameter if using the 64-bit version of Windows XP, or it will run at 2fps.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

XP support was dropped in 64-bit versions LONG before the JIT was ever introduced - so that should be a non-issue. This seems like a bit of a red herring - what kind of a setup do you have that would even allow this?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

invictius wrote:Not really a legacy question,
Yes. Yes it is. XP's officially made legacy as soon as TLS 1.0 among major websites were shed a few months ago.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

leileilol wrote:
invictius wrote:Not really a legacy question,
Yes. Yes it is. XP's officially made legacy as soon as TLS 1.0 among major websites were shed a few months ago.
Official support for Windows XP (incl. security patches) was also ended in 2014.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Rachael wrote:XP support was dropped in 64-bit versions LONG before the JIT was ever introduced - so that should be a non-issue. This seems like a bit of a red herring - what kind of a setup do you have that would even allow this?
My fault, sorry for not being more specific. If running the 32 bit version of GZDoom in a 64 bit Windows, you need to disable the vm_jit or else you will get 2fps. At least that is what happens here in Windows 7 64-bit.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

TDRR wrote:
Rachael wrote:XP support was dropped in 64-bit versions LONG before the JIT was ever introduced - so that should be a non-issue. This seems like a bit of a red herring - what kind of a setup do you have that would even allow this?
My fault, sorry for not being more specific. If running the 32 bit version of GZDoom in a 64 bit Windows, you need to disable the vm_jit or else you will get 2fps. At least that is what happens here in Windows 7 64-bit.
That also shouldn't do anything, because vm_jit is disabled by default on 32-bit builds - the JIT compiler's code doesn't work for 32-bit builds in the first place AFAIK.

Return to “General”