Doom Font Genesis - Viewer and Generator for Doom Fonts

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ErmacMKIII

Doom Font Genesis - Viewer and Generator for Doom Fonts

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Q: What is it?
A: Program for both viewing and generating Byte Map Fonts (abbr. BMF) and Lump Fonts (extension is .LMP).
It's intended for the newest generations of Doom ports including ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum. Works in pair with SLADE.

A: Which version is actual?
Q: Actual version is Doom Font Genesis V1.7.5 - WARDEN.

Q: Which modes program has?
A: It has viewing mode without editing and creator mode for creating font
using some installed font on the OS as a base.

Q: Alright, can you give me some help and tips about it?
A: Help is not too much verbose but gives some information. Check program Help.
The main tip is that only small subset of fonts can by synthesized
and even smaller subset will look good in the game.

Q: What programming language was used to made this?
A: Program is written in Java 1.8.

Q: Is program open or closed source?
A: I decided to make it open-source for the benefits and good for all of us.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b6n3uog5q ... EN.7z/file

Source code link:
https://github.com/ErmacMKIII/DoomFontGenesis

Screenshots of current version 1.7.5 - WARDEN (click to load it and use the new tab):
LOAD EXISTING DOOM FONT:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
CREATE FROM PREEXISTING FONT:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Youtube video (done for older version 1.7.1 - STONEWALL):

Any questions about the program and how to use it, any critique if you have, feel free to write it. Good luck fellow Doomers!
Last edited by ErmacMKIII on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
Tormentor667

Re: Doom Font Genesis - Viewer and Generator for Doom Fonts

Post by Tormentor667 »

This looks very useful. Can it create fonts from Windows fonts? And how does this look like?
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Tormentor667 wrote:This looks very useful. Can it create fonts from Windows fonts? And how does this look like?
It can, you choose any of the installed fonts in the Font section as I chose Copper Plate Gothic Bold / Gothic 821 Cn Bt / Courier New in the video. Gothic 821 Cn Bt doesn't exist by default in Windows, it needs to be installed manually.

If you want that font, Gothic 821 Cn Bt look at this website, very carefully http://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/th ... densed.12/
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Updated to version 1.7.2 - TITANIUM. Performance increased and zoom slider added (from 10% to 400%). In main post is everything you need.
Diode

Post by Diode »

Won't launch for me. Says it could not find main class alexanderstojanovich.fdg.gui.GUI.
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

I contacted Diode, and he fixed it by updating Java (done one month ago). If you have any questions contact me on Discord DM as you will get your answers immediately.
Nash

Post by Nash »

GZDoom now supports Unicode, does this program also generate the full Unicode character set?
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Nash wrote:GZDoom now supports Unicode, does this program also generate the full Unicode character set?
Negative, program doesn't support Unicode, yet! I believe I can easily make Unicode support with BMF since FON1 is always 256 grayscaled characters and FON2 has one byte for first character in the range and one byte for the last character in the range. But BMF has that two-bytes unsigned value for amount of characters unlike previous mentioned those. I will try and see how SLADE and ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum ports would behave.

(*Edited*) -- Currently I'm facing two problems: 1. Not all Unicode characters drawing properly on the image; 2. Loop of 65536 iterations for each character to be drawn on the image takes too long.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

How do you change the pallete for the font? I literally cannot figure it out for the life of me.
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Clownman wrote:How do you change the pallete for the font? I literally cannot figure it out for the life of me.
For the font you're creating from one of the installed fonts on OS (they came in .ttf format which is True Type Fonts); Radio button for mode should be "Create from preexisting font" then in Effects section you have Palette selector and you choose one from the following right there. Then program will take into consideration only colors which were used in the image for displaying characters and generate it's own palette sub-set (so yea lesser colors) and they're gonna be unsorted. But Zdoom/GZDoom/Zandronum will sort it on use. If you save such a file and then open it again in this program or SLADE you'll able to notice it's palette.

Palette change on the fly for the loaded fonts is not possible, SLADE has edge there (would best suffice).
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Visually not much different, under the hood much different and unlocked to be maxed out from user side - no more color overflow when working with Palette: None;
Yea, this is cuz of new algorithm implemented - it uses minimal absolute deviation and approximation for the color when palette is maxed out with 256 colors.
So either way, you can create your lovely fonts for ZDoom and it's derived ports without any limitations.

Regards,
Ermac
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

Still if you're using ZDoom, Zandronum or older versions of GZDoom this is the leading way of generating fonts. Download "VALIUM" from the main post.
No unicode support since LUMP (.lmp) and Byte Map Font (.bmf), neither of them support unicode. And if you're bothered with only me reviving the old topic, I am very sorry to do that. On the contrast I'm very glad when people use these programs. It's a passion, you know to help the modders.
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

@ErmacMKIII: Can I convince you to add the option to create drop shadows on the font as well as to specify the drop shadow's angle like you have on the other program?
ErmacMKIII

Post by ErmacMKIII »

FireSeraphim wrote:@ErmacMKIII: Can I convince you to add the option to create drop shadows on the font as well as to specify the drop shadow's angle like you have on the other program?
Yoo man, sorry for delayed answer, I will implement it when I can. It's a good suggestion. All good to you man.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

This is extremely useful for me, as I've been using BMF fonts in my mod for quite some time now. Though, my process was viewing said fonts in a BMF Font viewer, taking a screenshot and copying from Paint, pasting into my image editing program, then saving each font character as an individual image file. This tool will make things much easier. Thank you!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”