Official support for "nerve.wad" for commercial Doom 2 .wad

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

masterkark

Official support for "nerve.wad" for commercial Doom 2 .wad

Post by masterkark »

Currently, only Doom 2 BFG edition automatically recognizes "nerve.wad" as a separate episode. To use it with the original commercial edition, you have to manually add it in .ini and it works without problems. Took me a while to figure out why it didn't recognize this episode only to realize I needed BFG edition.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Official support for "nerve.wad" for commercial Doom 2 .

Post by Kinsie »

The default IWAD definitions only autoload companion WADs that were required by the official releases (ie. voices.wad for all Strife versions). Anything beyond that is frankly a matter of the user's taste, and best left up to them.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Huh, I didn't even know there was first-class support for nerve.wad. O_O

I'm kinda torn about this -- on one hand, it's a cool feature and it's kind of a shame that it requires using the bootleg-quality BFG Edition IWAD in order for it to work, but on the other hand, it's technically accurate to the release versions of both games. Damned if you do/don't/etc, I guess.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can just autoload nerve.wad with Doom 2 and it recognizes the addon automatically and renames the mapnames so they work with GZDoom's internal episode definition anyway.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

In the interest of not being a boorish asshole and forcing this change, I simply PR'd it for approval. I've tested it - and it works (did I really expect it not to?), but with and without nerve.wad present. If it's there it simply loads it, no biggie.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

This got added.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I was trying to implement higher resolution mapname gfx for starting/ending a level, but nerve.wad uses the same entry names as Doom2 so I can't simply put a high res version into a FILTER folder and expect it to upscale. Would there need to be another folder called DOOM.NERVE where I could put the images so they don't overwrite the original Doom2 mapname images?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You have to name them NWILVxx. GZDoom renames those graphics upon load to resolve the conflict.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

This brings up another question, Graf: In the case of SI6IL, does ZDoom do any renaming of lumps to avoid conflicts? I was trying to make a separate wad that if it detects SI6IL, it will load the upscaled title/inter/END pics... but I think ZDoom just looks to see if there are new gfx, and overwrites the original Doom title/etc gfx. Is this true? To make them high resolution would you need to include them inside the sigil.wad?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There are no facilities to use Sigil as a pseudo-IWAD so of course there's no renaming going on.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”