The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 13 11/14/2021 Options

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LOLANONIMUS

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 11 9/12/2018

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hi, I wonder if you can make a pk3 version for my port on android
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Just rename the .zip to a .pk3 and it should work on Doom Delta. It does for me at least.

edit: Apologies for nothing having anything substantial to say regarding your guys' feedback or anything. I've been focused elsewhere and don't have any energy or drive for Soldier Z right now.
LOLANONIMUS

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Ok thanks
OfficialYeen

Post by OfficialYeen »

Spoiler:
Firstly, this mod is great for people like me who want a tactical experience but are too soft to play Hideous Destructor.

The weapons feel great, with the exception of The Eye, which I feel like doesn't have enough oomph when firing, especially since it's so powerful. The recoil is fine, but it doesn't sound like I'm firing a talking, demonic, possibly organic, one-hit-wonder super cannon that I stabbed myself to get one shot out of. :lol:

The SMG's are wonderful, and I like to imagine that you can't drop them because they have a strap (you start with it, after all).

I have a couple suggestions for more added realism/difficulty:
  • Include an option to carry less ammo. By the end of a long map or wad, it seems a little crazy to be carrying 10 SMG mags, 80 shells, a few power cells, a couple ammo belts, etc. Then again, that could all possibly be crammed into a bag, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • For that matter, it's crazy to think you're carrying that many weapons at once (I know it's Doom, gimme a sec), so maybe include another option to have only one extra weapon slot, so your loadout would look like; Knife, Sidearm, SMG, and whatever weapon you pick up. This way, planning what weapon to carry with you and ammo management become a big part of the strategy, especially if you're forced to make due with whatever weapon you can scavenge.
  • You could either have these as more difficulty options, or add them to some kind of "Soldier Z options" tab.
All in all, this is a great mod! It's a whole lot of fun and has become one of my favorites to play!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I agree on the ammo part, but less weapons might get a little boring if you're playing a megawad.

More gear would be great as well. If you do go with less weapon capcity, maybe there could be an item to give you extra weapon slots or something.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Always glad to hear people are enjoying the mod! I will say that the current way inventory works is grounded purely in video game logic, which is why I use the term "softcore tactical" to describe it. Also the interpretation of having a strap for the SMGs is 100% canon, I just didn't feel like adding a strap to the sprites. It's also kind of a reference to a scraped idea I had of being able to find more weapon straps that prevented you from dropping the weapon you put them on, but that eventually became the upgrade system.

All that said, I am definitely going to add some more difficult options in the future, and I am actually working on a weight system in general for Soldier Z, with weights being based on the IRL weight and general unwieldiness of the guns/ammo. That's still quite a ways off and I am focused elsewhere right now. Also improving The Eye's feedback, because you aren't the first person to mention how wimpy it feels.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I hope you come back to this soon, like Yeen said it's a great niche between regular Doom and Hideous Destructor. I like HD as well, but sometimes you want to be tactical but still able to play any mapset, too.

This mod goes really well with Project Babel monsters; the extra abilities and better AI complement the more tactical weapon loadout and items.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Figures after I say that, I get snowed in and have the Soldier Z work drive. Expect a small update soon. Nothing super major, but an update nonetheless.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Cool! Any chance of the sidearms becoming regular weapons, rather than infinite ammo ones? I like the idea of the quick draw, but infinite ammo always feels weird.
Brohnesorge

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 11 9/12/2018 - MK23 Poll

Post by Brohnesorge »

I'm not opposed to adding that as an option later on down the road, but I'd want to finish up some other stuff first.

So the next update is taking me longer than expected to finish up, but I'm trying to make it as worthwhile as possible. So far, it includes things like better animations on the AUG, VFX options and dropping empty mags when reloading. But one thing I am considering adding is a new side arm: the H&K MK23 SOCOM heavy pistol. I've wanted to add the weapon for awhile, but I've been having some hang-ups. So I'll put it to a poll!

Some things to consider:
-It would be slightly slower firing than the M9, but would be stronger and have a much lower chance to jam.
-Slower to draw.
-Lower magazine capacity and a slightly slower reload.
-Chambered in FMJ .45 ACP, dealing 8-16 damage, compared to the UMP45's .45 hollow point ACP+P 12-18 and the M9A3's 9mm 5-15.

I was presented with the possibility of just replacing the M9A3 with it because it's just better in almost every way, just being slightly slower, so I offer that as an option as well.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It sounds like a good average between the M9 and sawn off/revolver. Would it have the ability to be silenced?
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Yes, but it's effects may not be as overt as you might expect. Suppressors never fully silence a gunshot, and I feel like they would be nearly useless in the type of environments you see in most Doom maps.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I've been mixing this with that Universal AI mod as well, since it does have a limited "sneaking" ability depending on light levels in a map. I can't fully stealth with it due to loud weapons, but it does sometimes let me dodge stuff or improve my angle or something.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I barely touch the M9 since the revolver was introduced, a semi auto with a little more punch would be most welcome to me. Since I don't really use the M9 much I wouldn't feel too bad seeing it go, but I don't feel like keeping both around is a problem.
will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

MK23 socom?!?!?! YEAH BOIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”