Making a whole game as a single map

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Blue Shadow

Re: Making a whole game as a single map

Post by Blue Shadow »

You're using GZDoom Builder, right? When setting the action special and arguments, choose action 80 (ACS_Execute). There should be a check box for named scripts. Tick it, and choose the name of the script from the drop-down list (you might need to compile the ACS code before it can be seen in the list).

That's as far as I recall on how to do it. I don't have GZDoom Builder installed, and it's been like two years or so since the last time I used it, so things could be different.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Regarding the infamous save-prevention topic, a few of us were talking on Discord and I think we've come up with a reasonable-compromise new feature. Somehow. :P

The gist: add a 'nomanualsaves' option to MAPINFO that works exactly like nocrouch/nojump: by default it prevents manual saves, but the user can set an 'sv_allowsaves' cvar that overrides it permanently.

The way I see it, save prevention is exactly the same camp as nocrouch/nojump anyway -- it's basically a hint to the player that says "you aren't supposed to do that," but if they wanna cheat, they absolutely can (e.g. there's nothing stopping the user from enabling godmode in a hypothetical Resident Evil GZDoom TC, nor should there be). And those who hate this behavior can set the CVAR and never have to worry about it again. Win/win.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I really like Xaser's solution. It gives the mapper a way to say "hey, don't use saves" and it gives the user a way to say "I *really* need to save, like... right now!"

As long as there's at least an override, I think it's livable. Like hiding all the lines on the automap, or as Xaser already mentioned, disabling crouching/jumping/freelook.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

This sounds like a very decent compromise. Best of both worlds and everyone is happy.

Return to “Scripting”